Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My Triumph App  (Read 598 times)

Offline Taffswell1

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRT
My Triumph App
« on: May 27, 2020, 06:32:47 AM »
While waiting to test ride the new 900 I wondered if anyone has any experience of the My Triumph App navigation system that it is designed to use. Specifically interested in its performance compared to dedicated Satnavs  such as Garmin or TomTom. At the launch of the bikes, just prior to lockdown in the UK, it wasnt clear how the location and route directions would cope when you go off grid (lose mobile phone signal).  After all the bike is an adventure bike :002:

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: My Triumph App
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 08:52:55 AM »
If say it works in a very similar fashion to my Beeline in that when you set your route you can turn data off if you wish as your phone takes a snapshot of the route. Only "issue" with this is you don't get rerouting just the app showing you way back to the point you left the route.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 08:58:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Taffswell1 [+]
While waiting to test ride the new 900 I wondered if anyone has any experience of the My Triumph App navigation system that it is designed to use. Specifically interested in its performance compared to dedicated Satnavs  such as Garmin or TomTom. At the launch of the bikes, just prior to lockdown in the UK, it wasnt clear how the location and route directions would cope when you go off grid (lose mobile phone signal).  After all the bike is an adventure bike :002:

AFAIK the Triumph app is nothing except a set of turn left at the next street, turn right at the roundabout sort of directions. It is not going to be any use at all on non public roads or off road.It does not display any sort of map simply an arrow indicating which way to turn so that immediately makes it behind a dedicated GPS or the maps software on the screen of a phone.
As it uses the map software in the owners phone the GPS chip inside the phone should continue to work just fine as long as it has access to GPS info regardless of whether there is a phone connection available. All the phone connection does is make the map location data a little more accurate.

Offline YorkieBoy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
Loaded it yesterday, out of curiosity. It looks fairly interesting but clearly isn't going to be much use with my '16 800. Bizarrely (& irritatingly), when I look at certain accounts on Twitter, my iPhone switches to the Triumph app!

Has anyone else experienced this?
Half the world have a less than average intelligence

C15, 350 Mac Velo, 200 Lambretta, 175 Jawa, 500 AJS Model 20, 650 SS Norton, 750 Commando, SP370 Suzuki, Guzzi Le Man II, Tiger 955i, Speed Triple, 1600 Tbird, Street Triple, 1700 Tbird, Explorer, 1700 LT, Street Triple, Tiger 800 XRT

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
Had a look. Pretty much like Beeline worth added triumph integration- odo etc. I'll stick with the beeline as it's portable- I've used mine in the car as well as on the tiger and it's a similar price,

Online Rgh999

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »
I believe but havent tested yet that it now uses What 3 Words which basically allows you to route to anywhere or off road. Again I havent tested that app either yet but its worth a look.

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »
What3words is brilliant  - I use it on the phone when arranging to meet people in odd places  :007:.  It will get you to within yards of any point on earth.

Not sure how it would work riding a bike off road though as it relies on Google maps or the Apple equivalent etc for actual directions. Could be a bit tricky  :001:

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 03:38:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Alberto_B [+]
Not sure how it would work riding a bike off road though as it relies on Google maps or the Apple equivalent etc for actual directions. Could be a bit tricky  :001:

More that likely it will want you to go in a straight line from the nearest public road.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 09:31:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
More that likely it will want you to go in a straight line from the nearest public road.
Similar to Beeline's compass mode - shows direction and distance.

Offline Colinhitch

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »
I have been experimenting with it on my Rally Pro, I find it easiest to put in the start and finish, then add waypoints to form a route that suits. Using satellite view enables accurate waypoint position.  On coming across roadworks and following the diversion it recalculated as required.  The countdown accuracy to turns is not very accurate. I still prefer my garmin as I like to see a map and have mounted it to the clutch housing

Recent Topics