Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Centre Stand Modification  (Read 1615 times)

Offline KPTIGER

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2019 TIGER XRT
Centre Stand Modification
« on: May 27, 2020, 10:43:22 AM »
Centre Stand Modification (Also posted in error under XC)
I have increased the length of the foot lever by around 25mm. This has made a big difference for me. Previously I struggled to get the bike onto the centre stand. Now my body weight does it easily. I am 80kg. I did also shorten the main arms by 10mm but I am not sure that was totally necessary. The rear wheel now only clears the ground by about 15mm but that is ok and if I need more clearance a thin piece of plywood under the stand does the trick. In the photo there are bolts in the main arms, these have now been replaced by welding. It is quite easy to cut around the welds of the main arms if you do want to shorten them. There is a solid steel tongue inside the flattened tube. If you remove the stand to work on it is best not to leave the bike on the side stand as the left side bolt is also supporting the side stand bracket. What I did was to keep the bike upright using a couple of ropes from the ceiling of my garage tied to the pillion grab bars. Another little thing is the securing bolts are screwed into round nuts (which are also the bearing surfaces for the stand) with a pin to stop them spinning. When refitting these a head torch is useful to line up these pins. I did put a little grease on those bearing surfaces. Use a doubled up piece of string to remove and refit the spring.

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
Re: Centre Stand Modification
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
Great post, thanks for this "how to" and the photos, I wonder if this 10mm shortening would work on my 2019 xca?  I use a one inch piece of wood under my rear tire as I only use the center stand in my garage.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 01:16:38 PM »
Good write up.
I did the shortening bit by buying a scissor lift stand, cutting the legs and inserting some steel tubing (plumbing fitting to be precise).
Drilled the legs like every 10mm and put bolts in so that the legs were adjustable as I had lowered the bike so the original lift onto the centre was huge.
The fittings are really tricky like you said.
However that did not fix the effort and weight required to lift it back onto the stand, so must get around to your mod, looks good, thx.
Ps, I fitted seat belt webbing onto the LHS frame so that the grab and rock position was lower than the high rear grab handles at the back, also dropped a kilo or more weigh from up high.

Offline KPTIGER

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:54:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by rubbertoe [+]
Great post, thanks for this "how to" and the photos, I wonder if this 10mm shortening would work on my 2019 xca?  I use a one inch piece of wood under my rear tire as I only use the center stand in my garage.
I would try the foot lever extension first off as that may do the trick on it's own.

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »
I've been putting bikes up on center stands for 50 years no problem till  this 2019 XCA. I stand with all my weight on the foot of the stand easy enough  but without the wood under the tire it just about takes all I've got to get it up no pun intended. First thing I noticed about my bike is the rear tire is way higher off the ground than necessary when on the stand. The dealer told me it's a design feature for "real adventure riders" so it is easier to fix a flat out in the Sahara.

Offline KPTIGER

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 11:19:07 PM »
Same - My previous bike 2011 260kg Bandit was a breeze by comparison. It was frustrating me the difficulty with the XRT so even tho reluctant to mess with a near new bike and with time on my hands due to the COVID I thought I would give it a go.

Offline Neogas

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 08:07:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by rubbertoe [+]
I've been putting bikes up on center stands for 50 years no problem till  this 2019 XCA. I stand with all my weight on the foot of the stand easy enough  but without the wood under the tire it just about takes all I've got to get it up no pun intended. First thing I noticed about my bike is the rear tire is way higher off the ground than necessary when on the stand. The dealer told me it's a design feature for "real adventure riders" so it is easier to fix a flat out in the Sahara.

I also have a 2019 XCA and my experience is the same as yours, I can get it up with no panniers on, but its so much more difficult than a similar weight Guzzi I have. Put the luggage on empty and no chance! I was looking at the mod photos and wondering if a bolt on larger and thicker foot plate would ease the problem - have to look at the angles, fulcrum point and see if it would increase the leverage......
"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly."
― Anonymous

Offline dasf

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCA 2017
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
Hi.
I have to increase the length of the foot lever as described in your post. Before I cut the lever I would like to get the tube to put in.
Can you tell me the outer diameter of this tube?
Did you use a tube or solid rod?
Past bikes from 1965: Husqvarna Silverpilen 175 cc, Honda 305 Super Hawk, Triumph Bonneville 650, BSA Spitfire 650, Norton 650 SS, Velocette Truxton, Honda 450 Black Bomber, Honda Transalp, Honda Africa Twin, BMW R100RT, BMW R1200 GS, Honda Varadero, Yamaha TDM900, Triumph 800 XCA

Offline 2wheelstony

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 800 XRT
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 06:49:29 PM »
Great idea, I'll add that to my to-do list!  :001:

Recent Topics