Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screw-on Aftermarket TPMS Integrated Into Dash!  (Read 893 times)

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Screw-on Aftermarket TPMS Integrated Into Dash!
« on: May 30, 2020, 03:56:11 PM »
I've finally worked out how to use the screw-on aftermarket tyre pressure sensors (similar to SteelMate type etc) and have them integrated into the instrument panel on the Tigers!

My preference is still for having the OEM internal TPMS sensors but on my old 800XC this wasn't an option as it had tubed tyres. I used the SteelMate type sensors on the 800 but didn't like the display that came with them.

I've now found some well made screw-on sensors (cost me around 30) and decoded their comms into messages that I can transmit over the CAN bus. By enabling the TPMS menu in the instruments, the tyre pressures and warning light can now be displayed.

The fairy simple system I'm now designing around this will also provide the option to program your own low pressure trigger points instead of relying on those fixed by Triumph.

There are also internal sensors available that should work with the same setup but I've yet to order some to try fitting to a wheel.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Screw-on Aftermarket TPMS Integrated Into Dash!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
More detail please. Which sensors and can I have a go please please please?
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:54:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]

+1 from Australia and being a computer wizkid (NOT) if I can make it work then anybody can.
 :031: Jim

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:42:20 PM »
Im not sure why anybody would bother with tyre pressure monitors on a tubed tyre. If a tubed tyre gets a flat or leak it will deflate almost instantly and the rider will know about it well before they have a chance to see a dashboard warning. If the pressure is simply a little low that is something that should be checked each day before riding or at each fuel stop.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
So far I've tested the idea with Erisin ES331 sensors intended for car use. Other similarr types should work such as the Xtrons TPMS07. The system is supplied with 4 sensors so I guess you have 2 spares!

I plan to build a small interface module that can be used with the sensors. This would allow the system to be used on any Triumph that has CAN bus and supports TPMS.

I'm looking at the design and trying to keep the cost minimal. It'll need a low current switched 12V supply and 2 wires to connect to the CAN bus. Ideally this would be the white connector under the seat on the latest models that's reserved for the Triumph Bluetooth module, but the diagnostic socket also has the CAN bus pins, but sadly only a permanent 12V output.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:57:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Im not sure why anybody would bother with tyre pressure monitors on a tubed tyre. If a tubed tyre gets a flat or leak it will deflate almost instantly and the rider will know about it well before they have a chance to see a dashboard warning. If the pressure is simply a little low that is something that should be checked each day before riding or at each fuel stop.
Having had several punctures on my old Explorer (admittedly with tubeless tyres), at least one of them went down in the blink of an eye but the fast acting warning light gave me enough time to react appropriately and stop safely. A mate caught the incident on video camera and reviewing it later saw the metal shard on the road that caused the damage.

On tubed tyres I've never had a puncture that caused an instant deflation so I can only base any decisions on past experience.

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 01:35:49 PM »
HI T800,

Do you know if the Garmin TPM system would also work with the on dash display ??

Jmc

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]
HI T800,

Do you know if the Garmin TPM system would also work with the on dash display ??

Jmc
In theory, yes any TPMS system could be integrated with the dash. However I've not tried the Garmin system so don't know what needs decoding. The benefit of the one I mentioned above is that it already has a USB interface module so decoding the output from that was a lot easier than the 433MHz signals that the sensors use!

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
In theory, yes any TPMS system could be integrated with the dash. However I've not tried the Garmin system so don't know what needs decoding. The benefit of the one I mentioned above is that it already has a USB interface module so decoding the output from that was a lot easier than the 433MHz signals that the sensors use!

Had a quick read and the Garmin sensors use the 2.4GHz ANT comms (similar to Bluetooth) to the sat-nav. If a suitable ANT receiver can be found and the messages decoded then the Garmin sensors could be used.

What I have noticed is that the Garmin (and probably some other) sensors claim to wake up once the bike is moving, as they use an internal accelerometer. The cheaper alternatives that I've tried don't seem to have quite the same feature and only wake / update when there's a change in pressure. That said, the pressure changes once you start riding anyway.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
Just tested the integration of my prototype/evaluation board with screw-on sensors & my spare 800 instrument panel and it works!  :152:

Need to fit them to my 1200 and take it for a test ride then tiime to shrink the hardware design and give more thought to the required software features, including field programmability for updates.

Recent Topics