Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacement Levers Wanted  (Read 899 times)

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]

Unfortunately they're not only Chinese copies but only recommended for 2015-2017 models.

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
I have a standard clutch but its not adjustable. You can have it free if it helps you out. From a 2012 Roadie.

Thanks for the offer but I need a pair for a 2018 model. 😉

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 08:32:44 PM »
When I worked in custommer service years ago, my chinese colleague brought me to a place,
in Shanghai where you'd find a lot of things that you understood, were actually not copies but
made in china for some fancy European brands
I have seens some Givi products, different lever brands and other stuff, he said that when a
company asks them for 10'000 units, they Simply do 11'000 and not brand the 1K excess
and sell them directly.

Bought me some nice levers on Aliexpress for my Yami and Tiger, absolutely flawless, even my
current mirrors, are basically Rizoma but for a quarter of the price.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:34:29 PM by Djairouks »

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 08:59:51 PM »
That may well be true but is it worth the risk of grabbing a handful of brake lever in a emergency only to find the Chinese copy that saved you a few quid has snapped under the pressure?

Not for me, just not worth the risk after spending 10K on the bike I'd much rather spend an extra 50 pounds/euros/dollars on some proven levers.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
That may well be true but is it worth the risk of grabbing a handful of brake lever in a emergency only to find the Chinese copy that saved you a few quid has snapped under the pressure?

Not for me, just not worth the risk after spending 10K on the bike I'd much rather spend an extra 50 pounds/euros/dollars on some proven levers.

How many times I've heard this, dude if there was a Failure that bad you'd see it, because
if you can bend steel or even aluminium of 5mm square profile, with you bare hands on such,
small distance with 2 fingers, well you're Hercules !
Also aluminium levers are machined, not smelt in molds like OEM steel levers, so unless you
can see a crack, there can't be air pockets and Failure points.

But of course everyone is free to use their money as they see fit, but again might be the
exact same as the expensive brand, not copies.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:21:06 PM by Djairouks »

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 09:52:20 PM »
Four of my bikes have the Chinese levers, some are more than five years old and still work and look like new. One should consider that the "expensive" name brands including Triumph OEM levers are made in factories not in the UK. As  Djairouks said it's your money to waist if it makes you feel better. :125:

Chico

Online rubbertoe

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 10:41:22 PM »
I heard that the genuine Triumph levers for the tiger are being hand made in Birmingham in an underground shop managed by the peaky blinders. I filed the broken end of my broken front brake lever smooth and used it for months before buying a set of cool black and red Chinese ones for $30 dollars delivered and so far they are working great.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 10:47:15 PM »

Please name ONE case where that has happened. You are talking sh*t and displaying nothing except your racial preferences.
FWIW I would put money on the fact that the OEM Triumph levers also come from a factory in Asia and that they cost Triumph a fraction of the price we would pay for even the cheapest auction site product so please do not ride your bike again ever from a safety point of view.

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 06:34:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Please name ONE case where that has happened. You are talking sh*t and displaying nothing except your racial preferences.

Not sure why you felt the need to be abusive and I'm extremely disappointed to be inferred as a racist.

I was "told off" for having cheap Chinese levers on my Street Triple by none other than Triumph mechanic Clive Wood and I share his belief that a pair of 30 levers from China won't be as good a quality as 90 ones from a well known European manufacturer. If that makes a Green Party voting, open minded liberal such as me racist then the World truly is in a bad place.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 06:59:07 AM »

Not sure why you felt the need to be abusive and I'm extremely disappointed to be inferred as a racist.

I was "told off" for having cheap Chinese levers on my Street Triple by none other than Triumph mechanic Clive Wood and I share his belief that a pair of 30 levers from China won't be as good a quality as 90 ones from a well known European manufacturer. If that makes a Green Party voting, open minded liberal such as me racist then the World truly is in a bad place.

I agree the namecalling is a shame, but you still don't seem to get the point, a 20$ chinese lever structurally will be
the same as a 100$ homologated one, you really think fancy brands use aeoronautic aluminium, or crazy aloys ?
A lever is a lever, it's nothing technically advanced, don't be fooled by branding and marketing.

The only thing some chinese products are worse at, is that the colouring or anodizing might wear off faster in the sun,
otherwhise as Chico said, my Africa twin for 3 years had these my Yamaha 3 years too and while the red ones on my
Honda colour faded, there's absolutely nothing to worry.

My previous job was in material science, in material properties tests and stress tests, so I'm not the kind to use sh*t
material on my bike.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch