Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 900 Sound  (Read 881 times)

Offline fastcat

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800/STR675/D675
900 Sound
« on: June 02, 2020, 05:26:04 AM »
Moto 2,  my 10 STR, 12 Tiger and 14 Daytona all sound amazing. You know. That three cylinder howl! Not the new Tiger 900. No, just no.

Offline Tripple3

• Tiger Cub
Re: 900 Sound
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 09:52:48 PM »
Agree spoilt the sound and smoothness and more vibration. A friend just had a test ride with the view of maybe a purchase. His verdict great bike spoilt by the engine. He said it sounds like a twin. Why would Triumph do this when the triple engine is one of the selling points

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 Plate XRt
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 10:28:09 PM »
I kind of liked the sound, however the vibes over 5k were a deal breaker for me, just picked up a 2020 XRT today instead and loving it :) 900 is great in every other respect.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 10:45:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tripple3 [+]
Agree spoilt the sound and smoothness and more vibration. A friend just had a test ride with the view of maybe a purchase. His verdict great bike spoilt by the engine. He said it sounds like a twin. Why would Triumph do this when the triple engine is one of the selling points

Also don't get it if you want an adventure twin, there's the scrambler, it's like they cannibalise themselves.
Especially that when I tell people I left Honda for triumph, even non bikers tell me "it's those triple engines right ?", So that's their "marque de fabrique".

These last days again in alpine passes, I rode hard redlining in second and third, this raging triple sound is impressive and pretty addictive :087:, my Africa twin did not have that and was quickly out of juice.

But they'll still sell the 900, some people's tastes might be different and they might not really know the legacy !

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 07:10:05 AM »

If you see my review, largely my feeling - they should have gone whole hog and stuck a twin in if thats what they wanted to aim for - theyre great at building them after all.
Id probably ordered one if left old engine in.

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 08:57:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by suffolktiger [+]

If you see my review, largely my feeling - they should have gone whole hog and stuck a twin in if thats what they wanted to aim for - theyre great at building them after all.
Id probably ordered one if left old engine in.

:0461: same here, should have kept the 120Deg crank and still given it the displacement increase.

Offline Tripple3

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »
Exactly what my friend said, he would have probably ordered one with 120 crank.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
These last days again in alpine passes, I rode hard redlining in second and third, this raging triple sound is impressive and pretty addictive :087

never realised how good that triple on the 800 sounds (I come from a long line of boxer motors with Akropovic slip-ons in E♭) until I hit a mountain pass while marshalling a cycle event earlier in the year and all the marshals on the side of the road commented on the sweet sound that triple makes when going hard out of the corners and then down again thru the gears :-)
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 11:27:06 AM »
Exactly what my friend said, he would have probably ordered one with 120 crank.
Well Triumph still got a new Tiger sale out of me, just not the 900 which is what I really after.
The 800 XRT with free luggage and bits and bobs with some discount still makes for a great bike.
When, like me a seat height pf ~800mm is required there aren't too many other options in the segment.

Offline SAC841

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 Rally
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »
I come from a long line of Triumph triple ownership, nearly 20 years and a TT600 4 cyl which I loved too.  In the last 5 a current Tiger Sport 1050 and a late 1200 Explorer 2nd Gen.  I have never owned an 800, tried it, but not for me.  I have a new 900 Rally Pro, I'm now 1000 miles in and I love absolutely everything about it, in particular the engine, how it develops torque and the new exquisite 'thrum' of a noise!  We are lucky people, Triumph make something for everyone :001:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch