Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > Brakes and ABS

Are there any 4 pot calipers that fit the Tiger 800's?

(1/3) > >>

sprint:
Had a Tiger 900 GT Pro demo over the last week-end.

Whilst it is a nice bike I did not feel that it provided significant improvements over my 3rd gen Tiger 800 XRt to warrant changing. Not sure that I could live with the charateristics of the new 900 engine.

However, I did find the 4 pot Brembo 4 pot calipers a vast improvement over the existing brembo 2 pot calipers currently fitted. (I still have my original 93 Sprint with 4 pot calipers so can't understand how so many years later they are using 2 pot ones. Guess it's down to the bean counters?)

So the question is are there any 4 pot calipers avaliable that are a direct fit onto the Tiger 800's?

KildareMan:
The 900 brakes are also radial which in it self I think make for better brakes.

As for the 800 people have looked in the past but never came back with answers.

Tiggerton:
Originally Posted by sprint Had a Tiger 900 GT Pro demo over the last week-end.

Whilst it is a nice bike I did not feel that it provided significant improvements over my 3rd gen Tiger 800 XRt to warrant changing. Not sure that I could live with the charateristics of the new 900 engine.

However, I did find the 4 pot Brembo 4 pot calipers a vast improvement over the existing brembo 2 pot calipers currently fitted. (I still have my original 93 Sprint with 4 pot calipers so can't understand how so many years later they are using 2 pot ones. Guess it's down to the bean counters?)

So the question is are there any 4 pot calipers avaliable that are a direct fit onto the Tiger 800's?

I have just replaced my Gen 3 XRT Brembo oem brake pads with a set of EBC Double H FA181HH (front) and FA140HH (rear) with a noticeable improvement in braking. £65  from Square Deals.

Regards

K1W1:
Originally Posted by sprint So the question is are there any 4 pot calipers avaliable that are a direct fit onto the Tiger 800's?

If you are talking undo a couple of bolts disconnect a couple of hoses reconnect the hoses to the new calipers and refit the bolts then no. Wonít happen.
If you have a little engineering skill and and make or acquire some suitability dimensioned spacers and the appropriate brake parts then yes it should be relatively straight forward but it wonít be cheap and I donít know what if any changes would need to be made to the ABS. I suspect none but you would want to confirm before you head out onto the road.

sprint:
Thanks for the replies ad suggestions.

Yes I was hoping that there may have been a fairly simple 'bolt' on replacement, but it seems there is not.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the necessary engineering people of equipment that would be required to undertake the design and manufacture of suitable brks.

I am surprised that considering the length of time the Tiger 800 has been in manufacture that there has not been suitable 4 pot caliper found/made as the std 2 pot ones whilst OK are certainly lacking.

Perhaps some alternative pads may help?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version