Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection  (Read 610 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline NomadLad

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 84
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XCA
  • Location: Rhone Alpes FR
Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« on: June 13, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »
 First of all  :418:

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, I know this topic has been discussed over and over. This morning I have read 4 or 5 threads about it on this forum alone. The general consensus seems to be that panniers are the best of a bad lot when it comes to protection for this part of the bike...

I'm just wondering though, is there a way to protect the rear passenger peg hangers and therefore the frame.

I was considering removing the footrest (not hanger) and then trying to make a bumper or pad for it out of D30 impact protection.

What I mean is, getting a D30 kneepad and wrapping it around the bottom end of the hangar, wrapping it tight (but not so tight as to pre-compress the D30) with tape.

Although this wont do anything for the weight that would be transferred through the hanger to the frame, it would surely absorb some of the impact.

I suppose it depends on whether more damage is done from the impact/force transferred through the hanger or the weight.

I'm planning to do the Hard Alpi Tour on my Tiger in September and some of the French TET in the coming weeks, so I would like to take any precautions possible.

Hoping someone with a better physics brain then me might have an opinion...

Offline XYooper906

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800XC
  • Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »
I have considered doing something similar, however my thoughts were to use something harder, such as a hard plastic like from which they make frame sliders. It wouldn't really do anything to cushion the blow, but may prevent the bending/tearing action that could happen in a slide.In the same situation, I think the D3O material would tend to either wear away quickly, or act to increase friction and the resulting bending forces. The variable would be the type of tipover or crash that would lead to damaging the pillion peg mount.

I'm still leaning toward removing them completely. Cut them off, grind them smooth, and paint to prevent rust. If I'm careful, there should be no reduction in strength of the subframe tube and the modification should be inconspicuous. I plan to keep the bike until I can't ride it anymore, or it can't be ridden. A frame "modification" causes me little worry.

Offline NomadLad

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 84
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XCA
  • Location: Rhone Alpes FR
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by XYooper906 [+]
I have considered doing something similar, however my thoughts were to use something harder, such as a hard plastic like from which they make frame sliders. It wouldn't really do anything to cushion the blow, but may prevent the bending/tearing action that could happen in a slide.In the same situation, I think the D3O material would tend to either wear away quickly, or act to increase friction and the resulting bending forces. The variable would be the type of tipover or crash that would lead to damaging the pillion peg mount.

I'm still leaning toward removing them completely. Cut them off, grind them smooth, and paint to prevent rust. If I'm careful, there should be no reduction in strength of the subframe tube and the modification should be inconspicuous. I plan to keep the bike until I can't ride it anymore, or it can't be ridden. A frame "modification" causes me little worry.

Yeah I understand where you're coming from. I think a combination of slider and D30 could be perfect... some sort of tough plastic capsule with D30 inside.

I agree, I would chop the hangers off or have it done by someone who knows what they're doing, only problem is, I still use the Tiger for taking the missus out every now and then.

Offline KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 8599
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 07:39:14 PM »
An overhyped "problem" that basically doesn't exist any more than any other bike, whether welded pillion pegs or bolted to frame / sub frame.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4425
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 11:35:27 PM »
The insurance company is not going to offer you any sort of rebate for you building protection into your bike so simply pay the insurance and if sh*t happens make it the insurance companies problem not yours.
What you are doing is starting with the attitude that you are going to have a crash that is 100% the wrong attitude for somebody riding a motorcycle to have.

Online K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4425
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by NomadLad [+]
I agree, I would chop the hangers off or have it done by someone who knows what they're doing,

Here in Australia that would constitute a frame modification and you would need to get thousands of dollars worth of engineering testing and reports in order for the bike to (technically) be legally registered and to be able to get it insured.
You would feel very stupid if you had a crash and the insurance said that they were not going to pay out after they pointed to the clause about frame modifications when the mod you did was supposed to stop you having to make a claim in the first place.

Offline NomadLad

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 84
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XCA
  • Location: Rhone Alpes FR
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
An overhyped "problem" that basically doesn't exist any more than any other bike, whether welded pillion pegs or bolted to frame / sub frame.

I understand that it may be over-hyped to an extent but there's enough reports of it, even on this forum alone, to make it a bit of a concern for me because I take the bike off road. I'm not stressing about it, just considering any easy preventetive measures there might be.

If I had no intention of going off road I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Offline NomadLad

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 84
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XCA
  • Location: Rhone Alpes FR
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 09:49:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
The insurance company is not going to offer you any sort of rebate for you building protection into your bike so simply pay the insurance and if sh*t happens make it the insurance companies problem not yours.
What you are doing is starting with the attitude that you are going to have a crash that is 100% the wrong attitude for somebody riding a motorcycle to have.

I totally take your point regarding the insurance and if I was considering 'modifying the frame' I would think twice with the insurance issue now in my mind. I have no intention of doing it as I need the pillion pegs for two-up.

I don't believe I'm starting with the wrong attitude though. I take the bike off road regularly and am doing some off-road events on it this year, so there is a very good chance the bike will go down at some stage. The preventative measures I'm looking at taking are really no different to fitting a set of crash-bars.

As I mentioned to KildareMan above, if I had no intention of going off road, I don't think it would bother me at all. Whether it is a vulnerability or not, in my opinion, when taking this bike on un-even terrain it becomes a vulnerability because of how, what is essentially a piece of the frame, protrudes out so much.

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3273
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 11:10:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by NomadLad [+]
... but there's enough reports of it, even on this forum alone ...

I've been an active member here almost 5yrs and only recall few members (certainly nowhere near double figures, maybe 2 or 3) having anything related to passenger footpeg damage being the cause of serious damage or frame write-off.

*Originally Posted by NomadLad [+]
... The preventative measures I'm looking at taking are really no different to fitting a set of crash-bars.

I'm sure the insurance companies view crash bars as a simple addition with no compromise to the chassis while cutting bits off would definitely be considered compromising the chassis integrity.

Here in the UK I believe it is illegal to carry a passenger without footpegs fitted (such as a recent thread by a member designing removable pegs). If you remove the rear footpegs you must remove or isolate the passenger seat, hence why Triumph produced a bolt on cowl in the accesory range to bolt over the passenger seat on models such as the Street Triple, Speed Triple, Thruxton, etc. more likely to be converted to solo rider cafe racer type models.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline NomadLad

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 84
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XCA
  • Location: Rhone Alpes FR
Re: Pillion Peg/Frame Protection
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I've been an active member here almost 5yrs and only recall few members (certainly nowhere near double figures, maybe 2 or 3) having anything related to passenger footpeg damage being the cause of serious damage or frame write-off.

I'm sure the insurance companies view crash bars as a simple addition with no compromise to the chassis while cutting bits off would definitely be considered compromising the chassis integrity.

Here in the UK I believe it is illegal to carry a passenger without footpegs fitted (such as a recent thread by a member designing removable pegs). If you remove the rear footpegs you must remove or isolate the passenger seat, hence why Triumph produced a bolt on cowl in the accesory range to bolt over the passenger seat on models such as the Street Triple, Speed Triple, Thruxton, etc. more likely to be converted to solo rider cafe racer type models.

I think if you re-read the my post that you quoted you might agree that you have misunderstood it slightly.

I said that I was not considering removing the pillion peg hangers because I need them to ride with a pillion. And furthermore because of K1W1's point regarding the insurance.

The preventative measures I was referring to (being similar to crash bars etc) was creating/adding some sort of crash protection for the pillion peg hangers.

 


Recent Topics