Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MEGAMEET 2021 - OUTWARD  (Read 3590 times)

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
MEGAMEET 2021 - OUTWARD
« on: June 13, 2020, 02:54:14 PM »
Yo Dudes
I know its a long way off, but what plans/ideas do you (individually or collectively) have for the outward trip?
Harwich - Hook then straight on to Frankfurt after a nap on the boat.
Chunnel with overnight stop in France then on to Frankfurt.
Group meet-up somewhere en route....
Etc., etc., etc
What are peoples thoughts?
........, getting exited now.  :152:
Cheers
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: MEGAMEET 2021 - OUTWARD
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 04:02:34 PM »
Hi Geoff, I had occasionally begun thinking that far ahead and I've have had a couple of provisional thoughts:

Was almost certainly the Euro Tunnel for me initially based just on the Megameet only (but see later comment). I looked at the ferries for a leisurely crossing but the prices are substantial compared to the 35 minute Chunnel crossing, around 45 each way (rider & bike) and nearer the dates and firm plan I can use some Tesco Clubcard reward points to treble the value so 30 would cover the (90) return journey. :017:

Getting there ..  :084: .. it has been provisionally mentioned that Dai may look at planning a Wednesday departure with relaxed journey scenic route/stopover (Belgium?) so a possibility.
Currently likely (given my SW location), depending on his work/time off commitments I may probably meet up with T800XC (Rich) (plus A.N.Others?) and possibly Thursday afternoon to Folkstone and Premier Inn there for very early train next morning .... or Thursday afternoon, early evening train and press on a bit and find accommodation on the other side for an early fresh start Friday morning, hopefully allowing for a bit less autobahn time. :027:

Returning ... no idea yet other than not in a rush to come directly back. A few ideas mentioned out there, west through Southern France then turn north, French Balcony roads and the War Memorial sites of Normandy (high on Jimmy60s list). Normandy appeals to me as well, via whatever else suggested/suits, but then the Euro Tunnel wouldn't be ideal for the return ... possibly the Cherbourg to Poole (about 60 - 80) would be the most convenient route (4.5hrs) rather than the heavier traffic of Portsmouth to negotiate westward, only issue being the arrival time around 10pm. Cherbourg to Portsmouth would be 3hrs and arrive around 7pm (about 100).

Still plenty of time yet, Wales Megameet first and the most likely time for some collective ideas to form. :017:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 04:15:50 PM »
Yo Steve
Yes, it will obviously depend on where people are setting off from, i.e.their home address; I mentioned Harwich cos I can almost see it from where I am, but I think my preferred route would be the Chunnel.
The idea of return trip via Normandy sounds very good, but as you say, it will be something to mull over in sunny Wales in October.
See ya soon matey
Geoff
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 04:24:11 PM »
Hi Geoff am planning to use the chunnel myself. Will be doing something else while overthere aswell. Am toying with the idea of hitting the B500 etc but am still in the thinking stage. All the other stuff mentioned interests me aswell. Hope you are well dude look forward to seeing you im Wales.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 04:37:54 PM »
... didn't look at Plymouth ferry as assumed it would be too expensive but actually Roscoff to Plymouth, 6hrs but arrives about 10pm and only 20mins to home ... about 60 and similar distance from Cherbourg as Calais is. :084:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »
Well as I did that several times but in the other directions I can tell what I did in the past to get to the UK:
1. Hook van Holland - Harwich was always very good as I could sleep on the ferry overnight.Took my time to get up to Holland, so it was always a two days trip up. Stayed overnight in Germany and then through Belgium/Holland. I normally avoid motorways on these trips, does not make any sense in Holland: country roads are as boring as the motorways, they do not call it "Netherlands" for nothing. If you intend to do that, I can suggest some scenic routes through Germany to get to the Hotel. On my way back from the UK, I did the return trip from Hook to home in one day
2. In 2018 I came back via Dover-Dunkerque and stayed overnight in Brugge which was fantastic
3. This year I intended to take the long way: from Home to Metz/France, stay overnight there, in two days through France up to Cherbourg, with the Ferry over to Portsmouth or Poole, stay overnight there and then up to Wales.

Someone mentioned the B500: I try to avoid it these days, it is packed on weekends, there is a speed limit of 80 km/h sometimes even 70 km/h and regular speed checks by the police.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »
Hi Derchef i read parts are also closed at weekends also. For me there is no point going for 3 days i might aswell make a trip of it. Am just looking for advice and ideas. Have not ridden to Europe before so all new to me. Lol if i get anywhere near Holland The Dam will be calling and i will have to take my pool cues.

Offline Wullie

• Tiger Master
  • Triumph Trophy TR6 (1969) Triumph Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »
Hello Geoff and All,

The obvious way to my mind, even from Norfolk, is through the tunnel, but I may have an unused Harwich/Hoek ticket (depending on travel possibilities later this year) in which case I will probably use that.

I agree with you Uli that the best way to get through The Netherlands is on the motorway but beyond that I would welcome any suggestions for good roads down to Frankfurt.  A good day's ride after a sleep on the ferry I reckon.

BTW Geoff in answer to your question from another thread, I don't have enough fingers to count the number of sleeps...

Alex   :300:

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 06:47:50 PM »
Hi Uli, just received your PM, thanks.
I think everyone will have to do what fits in with their own plans; hopefully a few ideas will make people think about alternative routes to what they first thought. Whatever happens Im sure it will be a Mega, MegaMeet.
Geoff

Fac191 - have you considered the Hands on hips, and thrust forward, plugging method, you do have to stand erect though....!
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »
Thats sounds right up my street Geoff. A demonstration would be nice though and when i get my confidence up would be happy to have a twosome.

winded-staunch