Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sticking joystick  (Read 754 times)

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
Sticking joystick
« on: June 13, 2020, 06:50:05 PM »
2019 XRT and the joystick for the various menu functions sometimes sticks in the down position after I've pushed it that way to access some menu operation. Before I do so, what's the best stuff to spray in there in an attempt to solve this, that won't damage it or make the problem worse. I'm thinking WD40 or GT85 perhaps. I also have white lithium grease.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Sticking joystick
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 07:35:51 PM »
WD40 to try and wash the internals, then GT85 to lubricate and protect.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »
I use silicone dielectric spray for switchgear but I expect WD40/GT85 will work too
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 02:06:28 AM »
No sure I would be using WD40 it leaves an oily residue which is going to attract dust and dirt on a ADV bike in particular. I would be just cleaning the switch and leaving it dry.

Offline Snownorge

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrx
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
ACF 50,it's safe to use on electrical and switches etc,not cheap but a very little goes a long way,after washing I give switchgear a squirt and do rest of bike with spray gun.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 01:44:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
No sure I would be using WD40 it leaves an oily residue which is going to attract dust and dirt on a ADV bike in particular. I would be just cleaning the switch and leaving it dry.

K1W1, what would you suggest is best to clean the switch gear with, I agree that any oily type spray will attract dust and dirt.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
K1W1, what would you suggest is best to clean the switch gear with, I agree that any oily type spray will attract dust and dirt.

Electrical contact cleaner. You can get it in most electronics shops in a spray can.
Before I used it though I would take the switch apart (just separate the top and bottom housings which how I assume they are built) and have a look to make sure there is nothing obviously that is bent, broken or faulty.
As it is a 2019 bike why are you not going back to Triumph under warranty anyway? They have a two year world wide warranty on Tigers.

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have some spray electrical contact cleaner so I'll try that, maybe followed by a shot of GT85 if the cleaner alone doesn't do it. I have ACF50 also but I'm a bit wary because that definitely leaves an oily residue in my experience, not perhaps the best idea for this application.

The bike is under warranty but I thought this is something very simple I could deal with easily myself to avoid the hassle of taking the bike back to the dealer and probably having to leave it there. For the same reason, being under warranty, I don't want to split open the switchgear. Should spraying all that stuff in there fail to work, then I'll take it back.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:19:10 PM by Phurtim »

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 09:37:38 PM »
Ive got this, mentions to dealer as still got warranty, like you.

Theyre replacing whole unit. Im sure a bit of gt etc would do the tick though.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 10:37:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by suffolktiger [+]
Ive got this, mentions to dealer as still got warranty, like you.

Theyre replacing whole unit. Im sure a bit of gt etc would do the tick though.

Exactly it could conceivably be a manufacturing fault. If the OP does not want to go to Triumph he should at least ring and talk to the service advisors.   
What happens if this turns out to be a problem that reoccurs AFTER the warranty expires. I for one would not want to know how much Triumph would charge for that switch block.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch