Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Late Model Brembo calipers on Early (pre-17) bikes with Nissin calipers  (Read 444 times)

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
As above.

On a different thread, in this section, we were looking at feasibility of different calipers.

As I was offered a pair of later model Brembos cheap, I thought I would try it.
They are both 2 -piston types, so no advantage there, but why not....

So far:

1, They physically fit, the Brembo mounts bolt straight onto the fork legs.
2, alignment appears correct, more accurate checks to be made.
3, Pads on the Brembos don't seem to extend as far as the Nissins. This appears to be because they Brembo pads have a smaller contact surface.
    I checked the disc diameter online, and they should be the same (305mm across the range)
    Brembo pads friction area measure 25mm top to bottom at centre point. Does anyone have Nissin pads to hand to get the measurements?

Question to anyone who went to a later bike from an early one.
Did you notice any difference in stopping power/feel from the Brembos?

I need to check diameter of the Brembo pistons, anyone?
Decide if its a feasible/worthwhile swap. It opens a potential replacement alternative which is always helpful, I feel.
Given the potential smaller contact patch, will they wear more quickly, but give more feel?

Thoughts?

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
I dont know if the MC is the same?

They have different pads though, so for example ebc hh have two different figments for the two calliper types.

Offline Georgeinabz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xr
*Originally Posted by suffolktiger [+]
I dont know if the MC is the same?

They have different pads though, so for example ebc hh have two different figments for the two calliper types.

The MC is a different part number but both have a 14 mm piston , remember the brembo brakes go via the abs unit , I assume the the OP does not have ABS , dont know what difference that makes but I assume there must be some pressure parameters that have to be met.

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
*Originally Posted by Georgeinabz [+]
The MC is a different part number but both have a 14 mm piston , remember the brembo brakes go via the abs unit , I assume the the OP does not have ABS , dont know what difference that makes but I assume there must be some pressure parameters that have to be met.

OP Does have ABS

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
If they fit, just bang them on and see how they are.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
If they fit, just bang them on and see how they are.

Yep...
Having stripped them down to check them, I'm impressed with the quality, they are Brembo's after all.
Pistons appear to be  coated/anodised, there is no pitting etc on them, mind you, the calipers are in very good condition anyway.
So, have ordered some new Pads, and in they will go......

Recent Topics

winded-staunch