Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ugly ticking sound from engine, 2013 Tiger 800 XC  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Georgeinabz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xr
Re: Ugly ticking sound from engine, 2013 Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »
Hi
Could have been some of that debris catching the the starter ring gear , is there a sump pickup filter that could have been dislodged and hit against the Conrod cap as the engine rotates? , I would give the valve springs a good blow out if not a strip down since you are in so deep anyway , you dont want any of that crud about , no scores on the crankshaft , balancer or Camshaft?

Offline Rauno_N

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC ABS
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 07:28:38 AM »
Thank you all for the thougths.
Makes good sense that exhaust suffered under stress after landing in the water, unfortunately couldn't find any cracks there even though the header pipe is already welded once before.
Anyway will have second closer look for sure and double check any signs of crack or leak.

Oil pump was disassembled and rotor checked, looking beautiful. Regarding the oil ways..good point, will discuss with mechanic on his thoughts over this.

Everything besides the valve springs have been disassembled, inspected and assembled again. No debris on starter ring, no scores on crankshaft , balancer or Camshaft.

All this was done in cooperation with a trained mechanic, who has repaired motorcycles and engines more than 30 years as a day job.
Really though case, now i have handed the bike over to another local repair shop.
They were keen to help knowing this case is a tough one, any ideas here are still welcome of course.

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 08:58:31 AM »
I hope you get it sorted, and I must admire your dedication to finding and fixing.
Keep us all posted.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »
Yes, very commendable and thorough effort in your search for the elusive noise. Well done.
Interesting that you found that debris in the sump. Made me think, when the bike was tipped over to that extreme it leaves open the possibility that a piece of that debris fell into the wrong place and is interfering with a moving part.  If you use a mechanics stethoscope you might be able to pinpoint the source of the noise for a clue.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800 Xcx 2016
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 09:04:20 PM »
I await the continuation of your misadventures!

Hoping for a favorable end. . .

Offline Rauno_N

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC ABS
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 09:11:00 AM »
An update.
Exhaust has been checked for cracks and damages once again and nothing found. Also started the bike without exhaust and mechanical sound is still the same.
Repair shop removed the side covers and double checked alternator/starter/clutch and everything involved in there once again.
Also removed the cam cover, cams, chain etc to check, since this was assembled by me, not a trained mechanic. Inspected all the parts, including visual inspection to the valve springs. Everything was in order and no"findings". To double check the chain tension, they somehow modified my old tensioner to a mechanic one. Not sure how this was exactly done, haven't seen it yet.

Bad news is due to the release of Corona restrictions and starting motocross season they are really occupied with motocross bikes for next couple of months and not willing to proceed with engine removal and another complete disassembly before September/October

This has made me think of getting another engine to be able to ride at all this season. 2 months already spent on finding the problem, starting to get hopeless now.
Ebays has a lot offers from a different price range. Does anybody have reccomendations for a trustworthy offer or bikes breakdown shop to rely on ?

Online AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
Thanks for the update -- too bad there's no resolution yet.
Sounds like you have the time to continue?, may I suggest removing the spark plugs and spinning the engine with a large electric drill (w/suitable adapters to the crankshaft).
Seems to me that the definite mechanical knocking may be more noticeable without the engine running and easier to pin-point.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Recent Topics