Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine oil change while engine is hot?  (Read 300 times)

Offline kokkios

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger800XRT
Engine oil change while engine is hot?
« on: June 22, 2020, 01:38:34 PM »
As in the title... is it ok from a mechanical perspective (not the persons safety handling hot fluids), to make an oil change when the engine is hot? Some HD mechanic once said it can cause a problem so i had to sit and wait for 20-30 minutes for the engine to cool a bit

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
Re: Engine oil change while engine is hot?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »
only reason I know not to change oil on a hot engine is what you mention: dangerous for the mechanic, not for the mechanism
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
... wait for 20-30 minutes for the engine to cool a bit

He got that bit right and that is purely for the convenience of the mech to reduce the chance of burning himself on the exhaust, getting a blister on his fingers or burning himself with the hot oil .. additional heat related risks obviously.

Just as we hated having to go straight in to the engine room of a locomotive straight out of traffic and at full temperature, like being in an oven, and having to disconnect for an engine change. A large diesel engine can take 24hrs to cool right down and most often wasn't an option. :233:

I have no problem dropping the oil when hot but then leave it draining and engine cooling while I do some other tasks before putting the plug and fresh oil back in. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 02:41:53 PM »
What is certain, is oil viscosity when hot makes it easier to drain the circuit completely. But yeah just not fish and chips frying warm  :008:, so you don't burn your hand.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 02:42:00 PM »
 :0461:  :460:

Hotter the better as far as I'm concerned. Nice and runny so better chance of getting more out. No damage as nothing moving and as metal cools it contracts.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline kokkios

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger800XRT
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:21:01 PM »
Great! thank you all for clearing this out for me!

Recent Topics