Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: North of England roads and sight seeing suggestions wanted  (Read 944 times)

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: North of England roads and sight seeing suggestions wanted
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 12:39:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Hawes is worth a visit, especially if you like cheese (the creamery there sells smashing Wensleydale, Gromit). Plus the Ribbleshead Viaduct is a few miles up a quite entertaining road from there.

yup thats in one of the Yorkshire mega/mini meet rides. People spent a fair bit of time over long periods of time building these routes. I doubt anyone can genuinely say the route they published was 'theirs and theirs alone', all routes are comprised of others ideas, with a few of y'own chucked in. Assuming you have a route editor then butchering those routes apart to go with a flow will take you down some great roads to ride. With judicious editing they will take you as far as Scotland (if you include Zaphod's Northumbrian excursion. Yes there will be some potentially tedious link bits but these are routes proven to include some great stopping points. including the highest pub in England, the Moors, Whitby, the dales and so on.

<rant>
We used to try and organise monthly rides with the idea, or at least 'my' perception, that you work out a route of roads you like to ride and show 'em to other forum members in the expectation that they show you there favourite roads in turn. it never quite worked out that way. and ove time build a library of routes that were fun to ride, to encourage others to go ride those roads. Sadly as expected it usually ended up with one or two doing the routes and everyone else enjoying the ride but wanting  those same people to do a different route next month.</rant>

in short if you doin't know the area then these routes are a good starting point. As Jimmy60 and his mate Tony proved last year they can be too photogenic, meaning it becomes protracted as some, not mentioning any names (done it already), spend every 10 metres, sorry yards, as an excuse to stop and take a photo or twenty  :007:

go look at those routes...
go look at the photo's posted int he accompanying threads.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 12:50:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Hawes is worth a visit, especially if you like cheese (the creamery there sells smashing Wensleydale, Gromit). Plus the Ribbleshead Viaduct is a few miles up a quite entertaining road from there.

It'll be absolutely heaving with people, even in the last few weeks it's been like Bournemouth beach on some days.
I was working there on Friday and it was virtually impossible to park and walking to the site was shoulder to shoulder with tourists
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 06:32:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by GeoffS [+]
Coddy, put a note somewhere on the forum, or PM me if and/or when you plan on getting to Cromer; Ill try and arrange a bimble and meet up with you; Ill even buy the coffees.
Following on from Healdem, look at the Yorkshire MegaMeet route, we stopped for coffee in Goathland (Heartbeats Aidensfield) during the Saturday blast through the York Moors.
Cheers
Geoff

Will do Geoff, although it will be a Monday though. Is that ok or will you be at work?

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »
Hi again
I assume you mean Monday 13 July; thats not a problem, as long as SWMBO hasnt got anything planned for me.
Oh yes, I remember work, horrible thing that used to get in the way of my life; happily retired now, so free to do what Im told to do.
If I cant make it for any reason, Ill let you know.
Let me know where you want to meet up.
Cheers
Geoff

Offline philmcglass

• Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 11:03:52 AM »
Definitely need to visit Barnard Castle :027:

Find the Line

Online fac191