Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?  (Read 1610 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dazcoates

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
  • Location: Chesterfield uk
Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« on: June 27, 2020, 10:48:31 AM »
Had my renewal through from Triumph , well actually it turns out to Adrian Flux, who are Also Bikesure.
Anyway the renewal was for 329. Apparently according to their renewal notice this was a reduction  from last year where I played 441( crap coz I have a bank statement showing 241).
I had quotes from Devit @279 bikesure( adrian flux)@273 and Hastings @243.
Rang Triumph ( adrian flux,  Bikesure ) and managed to get it for 244.
So that's a saving of 85 for a 5 minute telephone call.
So is it all just a big game ?
Proper pissed off with insurance companies taking the piss.
Think of a number , double it, divide it by 3 , half it and add 34.65.Ahhhh thsts your technologicaly calculated renewal premium.

Offline mcinlb

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 534
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
  • Location: Scotland
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »
Insurance renewal is an annual joke, from phoning them up to "discuss" the increase and "oh, wait a minute, I'll see what we can do "  to cancelling and renewing with the same company at a vastly reduced premium.
It's a little game we all "enjoy"  :001: :001: :001:

Online T800XC

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 2581
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • Location: English Riviera
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »
I got my renewal through yesterday from the same people with a 20% reduction on last year's policy. Everything was fine apart from the compulsory excess that had gone up to 550 and the new underwriter had one of the worse review scores I've ever seen.

Got some other quotes but nothing special so called Triumph Insurance (Adrian Flux etc). Explained the concerns a got a new quote at a similar price but this time the excess was 350 but more importantly the underwriter has one of the best review scores I've seen!

Sorted.
  
...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Online Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4231
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
Insurance renewal is an annual joke, from phoning them up to "discuss" the increase and "oh, wait a minute, I'll see what we can do "  to cancelling and renewing with the same company at a vastly reduced premium.
It's a little game we all "enjoy"  :001: :001: :001:

Yes, the annual circus routine which will be due again in a couple of months.
I was clearly told on the phone by the insurance customer service rep that the ridiculous renewal quotes are computer generated and that it always pays to phone up and go through your details again for a (better) re-quote. :211: :232:

Last year the renewal went up from 285 to 390 and a phone call direct to insurer by-passing the broker resulted in 184 premium for a few acceptable changes (and un-garaged bike). :028:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,26685.0.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline Dazcoates

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
  • Location: Chesterfield uk
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Yes, the annual circus routine which will be due again in a couple of months.
I was clearly told on the phone by the insurance customer service rep that the ridiculous renewal quotes are computer generated and that it always pays to phone up and go through your details again for a (better) re-quote. :211: :232:

Last year the renewal went up from 285 to 390 and a phone call direct to insurer by-passing the broker resulted in 184 premium for a few acceptable changes (and un-garaged bike). :028:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,26685.0.html

I personally think its just a case of greed and bike tax. Bikes are imo seen as aditional transport and as such a luxury that can be afforded,  therefore,  " let's fleece the biker"
Insurers = TWATS .
 :152:

Offline matt748

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
  • Location: Derbyshire, UK
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 08:12:15 PM »
87 I paid this year. First time Ive ever had insurance under three figures!

Offline grunty-motor

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 114
  • Bike: XCA
  • Location: AberFreeze
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »
i got my renewal thru from Bennetts and it went up 135 to 187.

Went onto compare the market and top of the list.................Bennetts for 89.


Offline UncleGary

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 475
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
  • Location: Kansas, USA
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:18:24 PM »
If it is any comfort, the insurance game in the US mostly similar. If one doesn't shop around and protest rate hikes then they are paying too much. I think it is true that the insurance company starts with what they think you will pay, not what is fair.

Offline Rick B

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
  • Bike: 2020 XRT
  • Location: Glossop Derby's
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:45:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dazcoates [+]
Had my renewal through from Triumph , well actually it turns out to Adrian Flux, who are Also Bikesure.
Anyway the renewal was for 329. Apparently according to their renewal notice this was a reduction  from last year where I played 441( crap coz I have a bank statement showing 241).
I had quotes from Devit @279 bikesure( adrian flux)@273 and Hastings @243.
Rang Triumph ( adrian flux,  Bikesure ) and managed to get it for 244.
So that's a saving of 85 for a 5 minute telephone call.
So is it all just a big game ?
Proper pissed off with insurance companies taking the piss.
Think of a number , double it, divide it by 3 , half it and add 34.65.Ahhhh thsts your technologicaly calculated renewal premium.
Ive been riding for 30+yrs all sorts of bikes ZX10r,Diavels ect,Insured with AF and went to exchange from my 2016 RT1200 to the new XRT,Wham200 more,I asked the reason and the answer was,,"You havnt ridden that type of motorcycle before"How do you work that one out,have you got my previous insurance from the past 30+,how can you justify going from a 250kgdown to a 200kg,1200-800,140bhp-90-(or thereabouts),Anyhow stood my ground and got it to near enough the same as the RT,But yeah a f"%in con.
The Perfect Woman,
A deaf and dumb nymphomaniac that runs an off-licence!

Online Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4231
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Insurance , is it all just a big CON?
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by grunty-motor [+]
i got my renewal thru from Bennetts and it went up 135 to 187.

Went onto compare the market and top of the list.................Bennetts for 89.

The problem with nearly all on-line quotes is they are usually only for completely stock from factory bikes .... they don't usually allow for adding accessories (admittedly some do include a few basics) such as covering expensive set of Expedition luggage, fitting h/bar risers which most class as modifying the bike, and quite a few items we take for granted ... swopping levers, etc. My expensive Expedition luggage was/is always specifically covered on my Tiger.

When I was with CN with my Street triple they only allowed 5 mods maximum and tank pad was classed as a mod. :005:
When I moved to Bennetts they have an allowable list of a dozen or so items common items you don't need to declare. I decided after CN :164: to be fully truthful and it actually (included accepted mods) came to a list of 25 items and the premium was surprisingly still half of the CN renewal premium based on 5. :027:

Fortunately the Tiger isn't the same sort of bike and I have kept the accessories/mods down to 6 and luggage as mentioned previously and again found a much cheaper insurer than Bennetts who covered it all. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch