Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pillion-friendly top boxes for 900  (Read 508 times)

Offline OldNick

• Tiger Cub
Pillion-friendly top boxes for 900
« on: June 27, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »
I took the missus to the Excel show back in Feb and we sat on the Tiger 900 and all the class competition - her view was that the pillion perch on the Tiger was by far the most uncomfortable of all the bikes we tried, due to the top box pushing her too far forward. We mentioned this to the Triumph folk on the stand and they said that lots of people had made similar comments and they were going to feed them back to Triumph HQ. Is anyone out there with a 900 who rides with a pillion got a top box fitted and if so what - Triumph's own (made by Givi I believe?) or someone else's. Or 800 riders who take pillions - any preference for top-boxes that are particularly pillion-friendly? If the missus is unhappy this could (haha - will) be a deal-breaker for my new bike purchase, so I need to be happy that it's going to be solvable before I commit...

Online tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Pillion-friendly top boxes for 900
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »
I've got Givi's topbox mounting system (PL6410 IIRC) on my 800, which gives enough room for me plus Mrs Zero, who is no longer the sylph-like figure that I first met 40 years ago. Nor am I, come to that. It's possible that the Givi system for the 900 mounts the topbox further back than the Triumph one, or that the Triumph topbox sits further forward than the Givi one.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline jacq

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 11:35:21 PM »
I am kind of interested if 900 is different in terms of pillion comfort.
Is the pillion seat the same size as 800 (length/width)?
After couple of rides my wife just stopped riding with me on my 800.
She said there is not enough space for her between my back and a top box (and she is rather small).
Obviously she was comparing that to our previous bikes (Vstrom 1000, r1200gs).

This may be actually the same thing that @OldNick is talking about. I am not sure what are their previous 2up riding experience, but lack of space/ "top box pushing too far forward" may be the same issue described differently by two different pillion riders.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »
My pillion was small but hated the rear shock 2012 Roadie. Wilbers fixed that. Room wise it was ok no complaints. However i did feel the bike felt cramped 2 up. Im 5ft 11 and 95kh ready to ride. Factory boxes go where they go so no room for maneuvering. Decent aftermarket topbox with its own mounting plate will allow you some movement positioning wise. You may only need a couple of inches. Also when the wind caught it the Tiger got blown around. Thats one of the advantages of a heavier bike. I could ride the Tenere through a hurricane and it would plot a straight line. I would avoid a big topbox as it just makes it harder to position.

Offline jacq

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »
Can someone measure Tiger 900's pillion seat length (or make similar picture to that one below)?

Here is pillion seat length on Tiger 800 2014:

roughly 36cm / 14.2 in

Also what would be interesting to compare is where the grab rails are attached to the bike (in relation to the pillion seat).
My wife mentioned that those on Tiger 800 are way back compared to say r1200gs.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 02:14:50 PM »
One thing to consider is that the ergonomics have changed on the 900. Reviews have said its more comfortable and the bars are further back. Also the rider may or may not i don't know sit further back which will compromise your pillion more.

Offline vic20

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
Made my own top box mounting plate, its only a bit of 6mm ally plate, positioned it to suit the wife. Passenger seat is a lot better on the 900 than our old 800 according to her.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:54:43 PM by vic20 »

Offline jacq

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »
Vic20,

Could you make some pictures by any chance? (assuming you ride 900 now)

Both aluminum plate and the pillion seat with measurement tape on it.

Many thanks.

Offline jacq

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
800:

900:

So it looks like the pillion seat on 900 is actually a little bit shorter...

Recent Topics