Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 XRT Cruise control not working after replacement clutch lever fitting  (Read 474 times)

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Just a tip for anyone ordering/fitting replacement clutch levers to this model. Was gifted a replacement set of levers by a great guy  :031: after I had carelessly broken my clutch lever by letting the bike drop off the side stand. The replacement clutch lever worked fine and off I went yesterday with a chum for a spin. However, on one of the rare occasions when I had a chance to engage the cruise control, noted it didn't work. Reason? Comparing the Biketek lever with the OEM lever, there is a cam on the underside of OEM model that engages with a micro-switch and (presumably) is used to count up and down gears (cruise control will not activate unless in third gear or higher). Have replaced with the OEM item for now and am confident that this will solve the problem. In the meantime, I intend to fettle a home made cam that can be affixed to the Biketek lever thus rendering it serviceable for this bike. This is not to denigrate the Biketek lever - just make sure you get the right one.

OEM item in foreground. Both clutch levers shown upside down. Cam is to LHS of underside of adjuster on OEM model - no such cam on Biketek lever (difficult to see that it isn't there)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:08:37 AM by Thripster »

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
*Originally Posted by Thripster [+]
Just a tip for anyone ordering/fitting replacement clutch levers to this model. Was gifted a replacement set of levers by a great guy  :031: after I had carelessly broken my clutch lever by letting the bike drop off the side stand. The replacement clutch lever worked fine and off I went yesterday with a chum for a spin. However, on one of the rare occasions when I had a chance to engage the cruise control, noted it didn't work. Reason? Comparing the Biketek lever with the OEM lever, there is a cam on the underside of OEM model that engages with a micro-switch and (presumably) is used to count up and down gears (cruise control will not activate unless in third gear or higher). Have replaced with the OEM item for now and am confident that this will solve the problem. In the meantime, I intend to fettle a home made cam that can be affixed to the Biketek lever thus rendering it serviceable for this bike. This is not to denigrate the Biketek lever - just make sure you get the right one.

OEM item in foreground. Both clutch levers shown upside down. Cam is to LHS of underside of adjuster on OEM model - no such cam on Biketek lever (difficult to see that it isn't there)

Not sure your assessment is right, this is not to count the gears, I don't use my lever after coming from neutral,
I always do clutchless shifting and cruise control works normally, this is only to disengage the cruise control, when
you pull the clutch, as stated in the manual.

Also not sure about what you mean, about it only working from third gear, are you saying this is wrong and happening
with different lever ? Manual states cruise control works from third and 30Km/h, so this is pretty normal.

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
The gear is determined by a sensor set which senses which gear the box is in and also neutral
Top tip from Thumpertalk website, if the lever is bent, and not fractured, use a sharpie pen and draw around the bend, then heat up with a good hot air gun or blow torch on low till the pen mark just disappears then bend the lever back tot the correct orientation.
Used this trick twice  and it works, I was amazed, as a kid we used to bend levers a lot but they always broke when we tried to straighten them

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
The micro switch is there to deactivate the cruise control when the clutch lever is pulled in. The cruise control also deactivates when the brake light comes on.
The bike knows what gear it is in from the ECU otherwise it could not display the gear position on the dash board.
This issue with using old model clutch levers on new model bikes with cruise control is well documented. You should have also noticed that your fuel gauge was not displaying.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:57:19 AM by K1W1 »

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
 :0461:  Spot on.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
@Djairouks. My manual says 'The motorcycle must be in third gear or higher'

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
@Djairouks. My manual says 'The motorcycle must be in third gear or higher'

Exactly what I said, your explanation was just not very clear, if you thought it changed by changing lever, but it works as should from third regardless.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:18:29 AM by Djairouks »

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
@Djairouks You are right - it wasn't very clear it meant 'The manual states that cruise control cannot be selected unless you are in third gear or higher'.
@PME Yes, the TFT displays which gear is selected irrespective of the clutch lever switch. Thanks for the tips on non broken handles.
@KIWI  As above. My fuel gauge is working fine.

Regret that my synopsis appears to be incorrect. Let me put it this way. (a)Cruise control was working and working after clutch lever damaged (b) Clutch lever changed for Biketek unit (c) Cruise control now does not work. Have changed the lever back again and will report back when the outcome is known. In the meantime, have you any positive suggestions as to what the problem might be please?

ATB
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:10:11 AM by Thripster »

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
...In the meantime, have you any positive suggestions as to what the problem might be please?
As mentioned above, the issue of some non-OEM levers causing cruise control (and other) problems is well documented. Also has the habit of affecting the fuel gauge.

e.g.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,15312.0.html

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,6803.msg185011.html#msg185011

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,15480.0.html

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
Many thanks XC

Recent Topics

winded-staunch