Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 - best selling model in June  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
Tiger 900 - best selling model in June
« on: July 10, 2020, 12:37:52 PM »
Figures from MCIA are now out for June which show that in the 651-1000cc class the Tiger 900 GT Pro was the best selling model in the UK with 137 units sold.

Can't be bad  :152:

:031:
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT 2018
Re: Tiger 900 - best selling model in June
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 07:35:19 PM »
Not much chance of free luggage offers next spring then, more probably a price hike.
Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:11:25 PM »
137 bikes sold in June... thats hardly a fantastic sales result. I doubt Triumph will be cracking open the fizz on that.

Thats around 1,700 annualised... way less than the 4,000 odd Tiger 800's a year.

I would not be at all surprised if there were lots of sales incentives probably this autumn in the Northern hemisphere as all manufacturers try to offload stock for what will be a laregly lost sales 'season'.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 02:03:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
137 bikes sold in June... thats hardly a fantastic sales result. I doubt Triumph will be cracking open the fizz on that.

Thats around 1,700 annualised... way less than the 4,000 odd Tiger 800's a year.

I would not be at all surprised if there were lots of sales incentives probably this autumn in the Northern hemisphere as all manufacturers try to offload stock for what will be a laregly lost sales 'season'.

Agree completely. Triumph like all manufacturers will be in panic mode with that level of sales the cash will be going out the door way way faster than its coming in.
There is going to be some massive rationalisation in both brands and models available if this goes on for much longer. Companies will go into survival mode. People who buy bikes or cars will have to get used to the idea that either there will be a very restricted model range or long wait times or that the "new" vehicle" they buy was actually manufactured a long time ago.

FWIW Triumph sales (all bikes combined) in Australia in Q1 were 435 units, down from 465 in Q1 2019 but as Q1 was January to March, summer and pre Covid I fully expect their numbers like all brands will no doubt plummet when the Q2 figures are released.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:06:27 AM by K1W1 »

Offline penry

• Tiger Pro
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 06:18:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]

Isn't a better measure of the 900's popularity to adjust the numbers relative to global bike sales of all brands. Covid will have affected motorcycle sales either up or down compared to pre covid sales for a number of reasons. Relatively speaking the 900, despite fewer actual sales over the same period last year for the 800, could be a real triumph for the company.

Cough.
Campsite Clouseau.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
Isn't a better measure of the 900's popularity to adjust the numbers relative to global bike sales of all brands.

The only real way to know its popularity is to wait six to twelve months then look at the numbers. All new motor vehicles have an initial.sales surge with early adopters Fan boys and dealer demo registrations. What happens over a longer period is the only true gauge.
Throughout the history of motoring there have been many vehicles that have started with a splash then died a premature death for various reasons and there have been an equal number that have started very slowly then built up a head of steam once word of mouth and positive owner experiences take hold.
Lets see what the numbers look like around Christmas time.

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 08:50:23 AM »
The other side of the equation is "best selling model in UK in the 651 - 1000cc class" so year on year sales may not be the best comparison in current circs?

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 10:30:11 AM »
You can get 2,000 of a new Tiger 1200 at Laguna.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
Seeing lots of bikes going unexpectedly onto the secondhand market as many people are getting laid off/made redundant (due to Covid).

In turn that doesn'r fair well for the new bike market.
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »
One sale of a 900GTP they didn't get was to me. After a couple test rides, I enjoyed the 900 so wanted to trade in my 19XRT which has only 3,000 miles, alu panniers, Garmin mount, service history, perfect condition. The dealer wanted 4,800 to change which was way too much for me. I would have traded at 3,500 but no way would they agree. The said the reason for the lack of any flexibility was the supply/demand situation. They had only one GTP available at the moment and then nothing till around the end of the year. So they had no need to strike any attractive deals at all. And I'm an old customer at this Triumph dealer.

As others have said, if demand drops off later then expect to see better deals and/or accessories like luggage included.

Annoyed at all this, I took a test ride on a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. Fabulous bike, much more responsive engine than the Tiger 900 and comes with panniers. No off road capability but I never ride dirt anyway so not a problem for me. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Tiger, plus they offered me a cracking px deal...

Recent Topics

winded-staunch