Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 - best selling model in June  (Read 1495 times)

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
Re: Tiger 900 - best selling model in June
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 07:14:05 PM »
My commitment to Triumph ended when they put the cost of the 6k service up. it was the final straw for me with the running costs.  Shame as I've had 3 Tigers and enjoyed every one of them. The quality of their products are excellent but the running costs just far too high and the dealers don't do you any favors even for loyal customers. I have now gone to the red side and bought a Multistrada. 4 year warranty and nearly 2k in extras and the service cost over 18k miles are cheaper than the Tiger!

Offline sprint

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 08:52:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
One sale of a 900GTP they didn't get was to me. After a couple test rides, I enjoyed the 900 so wanted to trade in my 19XRT which has only 3,000 miles, alu panniers, Garmin mount, service history, perfect condition. The dealer wanted 4,800 to change which was way too much for me. I would have traded at 3,500 but no way would they agree. The said the reason for the lack of any flexibility was the supply/demand situation. They had only one GTP available at the moment and then nothing till around the end of the year. So they had no need to strike any attractive deals at all. And I'm an old customer at this Triumph dealer.

As others have said, if demand drops off later then expect to see better deals and/or accessories like luggage included.

Annoyed at all this, I took a test ride on a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. Fabulous bike, much more responsive engine than the Tiger 900 and comes with panniers. No off road capability but I never ride dirt anyway so not a problem for me. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Tiger, plus they offered me a cracking px deal...

I have a 68 Reg XRt with around 4K miles and they wanted around 6K5 to change to a GT Pro!

Online fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
When i got my 2012 new compared to other bike prices it was alot of bike for the money. I think its one of the reasons they sold so well. The 900 is alot of bike for alot of money which will make people look and compare it more with other makes. Triumph dealers dont seem to offer good px on their own bikes either as said above which could drive people away from them. I think deals will be around in time though.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 11:25:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
... Triumph dealers dont seem to offer good px on their own bikes either ...

:0461:

I lost 3k on purchase price when I traded my 2yr old Street triple with 6k on the clock back to dealer for my Tiger. It was only because I don't like the private route risks I accepted. With my nearly 5yr old XRt probably now only worth half of its substantial purchase price (with a lot of accessories) and having retired there is now no option but to run the 800 until it (or me) dies. Hence I'm not even looking at or interested in the new 900.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 12:22:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
One sale of a 900GTP they didn't get was to me. After a couple test rides, I enjoyed the 900 so wanted to trade in my 19XRT which has only 3,000 miles, alu panniers, Garmin mount, service history, perfect condition. The dealer wanted 4,800 to change which was way too much for me. I would have traded at 3,500 but no way would they agree. The said the reason for the lack of any flexibility was the supply/demand situation. They had only one GTP available at the moment and then nothing till around the end of the year. So they had no need to strike any attractive deals at all. And I'm an old customer at this Triumph dealer.

As others have said, if demand drops off later then expect to see better deals and/or accessories like luggage included.

Annoyed at all this, I took a test ride on a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. Fabulous bike, much more responsive engine than the Tiger 900 and comes with panniers. No off road capability but I never ride dirt anyway so not a problem for me. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Tiger, plus they offered me a cracking px deal...

God knows I've always been and still am a Yamaha fan, their bikes are really the most you can get for the prices,
that being said, having owned the first Mt-09, which is the basis platform for the Tracer, be carefull on it.
Fuel injection in A mode is murderous, if like me you want to attack in curves it's far too twitchy, but going lower
modes limit power.
Though they revised suspensions, as a whole, the Triumph platform is much more capable to handle sporty riding,
the Yamaha is still a bit compromised.

Then again if you're riding cool, the STD mode will be okay !

As for the sales numbers, I think there can also be a "patriotic" element here, you brits would rather have a Triumph,
nothing wrong with that and you have dealerships all around, which is not the case in some other countries and models
are cheaper in the UK.
If I look at sales numbers in France though, Triumph is hardly selling so well, Yamaha and Honda are still on top of the
market (France being the largest 2 wheeler market in Europe).

Then there's the novelty effect, the year I bought the MT-09 it was the best seller in Europe, then when I got the
Africa twin, again best seller in Europe, but further years sold much less for both models.
Only the Mt-07 and derivations, still sells like hot cakes every year, seems they found the sweet spot with these !
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:32:26 PM by Djairouks »

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »
Given that Triumph announced 400 redundancies last month, they're clearly predicting a slump in sales:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-52882805

As others have already touched on, poor dealer experiences, high service prices, lack of incentives to buy (Tristar finance is laughable) and a high purchase price combine to ensure I won't be buying a 900 for some years to come, if at all. 

I don't need a 900 (as much as I want one), my 800 is pretty close to the bottom of the depreciation curve and I can service it wherever I want - nothing is pushing me to upgrade other than my love of new shiny tech things, and common sense is overcoming that at the moment.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 08:57:00 AM »
Here are numbers in France or Italy, no Tigers in there at all in top 50 and 40 respectively.
https://www.moto.it/news/francia-in-ripresa-le-vendite-di-nuove-moto-a-maggio.html

Seems the English market differs quite a bit.

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 07:54:57 PM »
I just took delivery of a new GTPRO.  There's not many (if any) left in the UK currently. As has been said, delivery lead time is now November . The reason is that much of the stock ordered for the UK was re-distributed to mainland Europe due to the Covid crisis , since Europe opened up sooner. This has left the UK short of stock , hence the frustratiing wait for new stock from Thailand.

This is my third Tiger, and I love it as much as the previous two. All variants are good in my view.  The way I view the Triumph's pricing, depreciation , running costs, etc is that we all know the score.  Its all pretty bloody expensive, but we'll continue to buy Triumphs because they are among the best products on the market.

A dealer once said to me (when I was complaining about the cost of ownership) ,  BMW and Triumph know that if you can afford to buy the bike, you can afford the servicing. When you cant, you wont.

Arrogant, but some truth in it.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocket [+]
I just took delivery of a new GTPRO.  There's not many (if any) left in the UK currently. As has been said, delivery lead time is now November . The reason is that much of the stock ordered for the UK was re-distributed to mainland Europe due to the Covid crisis , since Europe opened up sooner. This has left the UK short of stock , hence the frustratiing wait for new stock from Thailand.

This is my third Tiger, and I love it as much as the previous two. All variants are good in my view.  The way I view the Triumph's pricing, depreciation , running costs, etc is that we all know the score.  Its all pretty bloody expensive, but we'll continue to buy Triumphs because they are among the best products on the market.

A dealer once said to me (when I was complaining about the cost of ownership) ,  BMW and Triumph know that if you can afford to buy the bike, you can afford the servicing. When you cant, you wont.

Arrogant, but some truth in it.

To me BMW is still in another League and honestly I would not buy one, not because of service costs, but like my friends putting down 25'000chf for 1200gs, unable to charge their phone with a normal 12v adapter cable, BMW puts chips in the plugs, so you absolutely need their cable (at 4x the price) for 12v to be switched...

And the bikes are undesirable on the resale market unless you buy full option models, at least that's how it is in Switzerland, so to me they do not work like triumph.

Online tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 04:34:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocket [+]

I visited my local dealer to have a sit on a GT Pro and arranged a test ride for next Saturday. They told me that there's no GT Pros to be had (although there are a few demo bikes being sold on That Ebay) so at least I can resist temptation with a perfectly valid excuse.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics

winded-staunch