Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Darranna

• Tiger Member
Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« on: July 12, 2020, 12:35:45 AM »
 Hi all, looking for some honest feedback.

I test rode a 2019 800 XCa and was very disappointed.

A little back story, 6 weeks ago I bought a Triumph Speed Twin pictured

But it gave me Tendonitis and so it had to go.
So back to the Tiger, I test rode at my local dealer. I really liked it apart from two things, the engine rattle at idle is horrific, remember I'm comparing this to a twin which was like a sewing machine. But worse than that was the buffeting. Anything over 60 and I literally could not see where I was going.

Is this typical of the model? What can be done about it?

Offline Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 01:52:15 AM »
Hi,

I have a 2017 model 800 XCA really smooth silent engine a tick over, but the standard screen was terrible, changed it for a Puig aftermarket screen end of problem, maybe try a test ride on another XCA .
 :031: Jim

Offline penry

• Tiger Pro
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 02:54:51 AM »
I have the exact same bike and have never noticed any rattling  :110: ? Can you expand a little on that issue. I don't get any buffeting either. I'm 5'11" and ride with the screen on highest setting. I have a versys 650 which I commute on and there is a bit of wind blast over the top of the screen on that. I put a puig 'clip on' extender on the top which resolved it nicely - not that it was exactly horrendous in the first place.

Anyone else have a rattly XCA ?

I will listen extra hard for one tomorrow.
 :155:
Campsite Clouseau.

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:37:16 AM »
My 2019 xca has no rattle and the stock windscreen was gone immediately. Madstad works great for me. 

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 07:51:39 AM »
Ive got the same bike.

The rattle I think youre referring to is the clutch, my street triple used to do it too.  If you pull clutch it died down?
The newer 900 model, like you speed twin has a slipper clutch, and on mY test ride was quieter to be fair.

The wind buffet is a pain, I agree. I fitted a bigger screen which does help but not prefect. I think a spoiler is better option. Helmet type has as much if effect.

Surprising comment for somebody with a twin naked bike though!

As youre into New bike, not tempted to try the 900?

Offline Darranna

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »
Hi all, thanks for all the comments.

Ill try and respond to some of the questions raised.

The engine rattle, was at idle and to be fair the engine was cold (outside temperature was around 12 degrees). It made so much noise I had to move to within a meter of the guy explaining the TFT screen features. I tried pulling in the clutch and it made no difference.

The bike on the move pulled well, although you have to stir the gearbox, it doesnt have a lot of roll on performance.

Its this screen thing thats really bugging me, I had seen reports saying it was so much better than the previous model etc, Jess what were they like?

To be clear its not the wind blast, clear Im used to that from the twin, its the horrendous vibration the thing creates. Youd expect more from a manufacturer like Triumph. How come someone like Madstad, Givi or even powerbronze can get it somewhere near right on a considerably lower budget.

Not interested in a 900 as there only available new currently and I dont buy new bikes, the initial depreciation is to high.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »
I've got a T120 and a gen 2 Tiger 800XRx. The Tiger is about as loud as the T120 - I wouldn't have described the T120 as sewing machine like. Find another T800 and have a listen to it.

I haven't ridden a gen 3 Tiger but I have replaced the screen on the gen 2 - initially with a Triumph touring screen, which wasn't bad, then with a Givi Airflow, which was better. And I've put a Triumph touring screen with a deflector on the T120, to make it more comfortable for longer trips.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:29:03 PM »
Sometimes height of the screen to rider is the issue, but many times it's actually your helmet
that getting the air flow in some way, gives horrible buffeting on one bike and nothing on a
different model, I am lucky to have a helmet shop around who let people go for a stroll, before
buying a helmet and it can be very impactfull.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 05:23:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Sometimes height of the screen to rider is the issue, but many times it's actually your helmet
that getting the air flow in some way

agree - I'm 5'7" (1.75m) and have the standard Triumph screen in the second from lowest setting and the seat at its lowest setting (being vertically challenged is a PItA)

Use both the Aria XD4 and the Schuberth E1 with peaks and have nice stable airflow over both helmets with no buffeting even when turning my head to check the blindsport - check your helmet before changing the screen.
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Darranna

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 08:14:53 AM »
Have a test ride scheduled later this morning on a BMW F850 GS, after the disappointment of the Xca Im keeping my options open

Recent Topics