Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa  (Read 1437 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 653
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 08:21:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Darranna [+]
Have a test ride scheduled later this morning on a BMW F850 GS, after the disappointment of the Xca Im keeping my options open

Maybe there's s difference where you live, but experiences of my friend with BMW in Switzerland, it's the most expensive brand to buy and to service.
You'll see the 850 is a damn heavy bike, no comparison with the Tiger and you might not like the electronic suspension, for me it's why I'll never ride BMW, absolutely hate these, for me it "hides" what the tire does and how much grip is there.

Did you think about the Guzzi V85TT, it's not too expensive, really nicely finished and comfy.
Just would never ride this off-road, I'd cry if dropped  :110:.

Offline Motopete

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi V7
  • Location: Nottingham
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 10:18:13 AM »
FWIW I ride naked bike (Guzzi V7) and test rode a few bikes with screens last Xmas. Without exception the screens all created more noise and buffeting than my V7. I wear a Nolan N104.
Buffeting was worst with the visor just cracked open, the visor oscillated side-to-side and made me feel queasy.

The best screens I found were: V85TT in the 'low' (angled back) position, which put my helmet in relatively clean air.
                                              (More recently) New Tiger 900 which seems fairly quiet but still won't allow my visor to be cracked open.

I hear these aerofoil deflectors that clip on top of the screen are quite effective, if I buy a bike with a screen I'll probably try one.

PS. If you think the Tiger has poor roll-on performance then don't try a Multistrada 950! I thought the Triumph triple had the flattest torque characteristic of any of the bikes I tried...

Offline Darranna

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
As mentioned above I test rode a BMW F850 GS this morning. The engine was fabulous with loads of roll on torque and could run at 40mph in 6 gear no problem. The screen (if you can call it that) was amazingly effective, there was wind blast but nothing like a naked and no buffeting at all, speeds in excess of 90 were achievable  with ease. The ride quality was very compliant while plotting around and didnt complain while pushing on in the twisties.

The not so good bits, the front suspension is too soft, to the point of being comedic, use notice why riding a wallowing road with consistent dips and rises, also when coming to a stop, if you touch the front brake just as your about to stop the front dips alarmingly and then bounces back up. The gearbox in very notchy, it finds its gears ok but isnt slick, the quick shifter, Im not eleven sure it was working. Why would you put controls like the heated grips and mode button on the throttle side. The seat was ok but i dont think its as plush as the Tiger.

Im going to try and get a ride on a Motor Guzzi V85TT at the weekend.

Im running out of options though.

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 653
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Darranna [+]
As mentioned above I test rode a BMW F850 GS this morning. The engine was fabulous with loads of roll on torque and could run at 40mph in 6 gear no problem. The screen (if you can call it that) was amazingly effective, there was wind blast but nothing like a naked and no buffeting at all, speeds in excess of 90 were achievable  with ease. The ride quality was very compliant while plotting around and didnt complain while pushing on in the twisties.

The not so good bits, the front suspension is too soft, to the point of being comedic, use notice why riding a wallowing road with consistent dips and rises, also when coming to a stop, if you touch the front brake just as your about to stop the front dips alarmingly and then bounces back up. The gearbox in very notchy, it finds its gears ok but isnt slick, the quick shifter, Im not eleven sure it was working. Why would you put controls like the heated grips and mode button on the throttle side. The seat was ok but i dont think its as plush as the Tiger.

Im going to try and get a ride on a Motor Guzzi V85TT at the weekend.

Im running out of options though.

Do you need to really have off-road capability or not much ?
Also do you mind heavier motorcycles ?

I've tested almost all trail/adv so I might have some advice, if you tell me a bit more.

Offline Darranna

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »
It probably wont ever see more than a gravel road, Ive previously has a GSA although that was a few years ago. My preference would be to have a lighter bike, but as there nearly all steel framed there arent so many about.

The most important think to me is how it makes me feel. Its only a Sunday toy

Offline Motopete

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi V7
  • Location: Nottingham
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 03:18:14 PM »
R  e  l  a  x   when you ride the Guzzi. They're characterful machines that grow on you, don't expect blistering performance but it'll deliver what performance it has with style  :017:

Offline Darranna

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »
Just got an insurance quote on the V85 and its 300 more per year than the Triumph Speed Twin was 😳

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 653
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Darranna [+]
It probably wont ever see more than a gravel road, Ive previously has a GSA although that was a few years ago. My preference would be to have a lighter bike, but as there nearly all steel framed there arent so many about.

The most important think to me is how it makes me feel. Its only a Sunday toy

So all following are slightly heavy, though not like a GSA, so it's up to you !

The Suzuki V-strom 1000, if you can overlook the slightly plastic look and finishes, they are very punchy and comfy, you might get good deals on first re edition.

The 2018 Africa twin, are nice but don't go for the first 2016 models, had one and it rusted, bearings were flimsy and gearbox would often freeze.
Be advised the servicing costs were worse than triumph !

The Kawasaki Versys 1000, are pretty tall but if it works for you, they are a good overall package, again strange looks, so up to you, of course it's an inline 4 but the tune is made for torque.

I don't include the tracer 900, because having owned a MT-09 I really hate the throttle that's on/off and chassis is really not the quality of Triumph Tigers.
You might want to check the tenere 700, pretty light and surprisingly revs a lot for a twin, it not as breathless as other smaller twins.

About BMW, here we call there gearbox "agricultural" definitely the worse gearboxes of all motorcycles I've tried.

Offline Darranna

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
So all following are slightly heavy, though not like a GSA, so it's up to you !

The Suzuki V-strom 1000, if you can overlook the slightly plastic look and finishes, they are very punchy and comfy, you might get good deals on first re edition.

The 2018 Africa twin, are nice but don't go for the first 2016 models, had one and it rusted, bearings were flimsy and gearbox would often freeze.
Be advised the servicing costs were worse than triumph !

The Kawasaki Versys 1000, are pretty tall but if it works for you, they are a good overall package, again strange looks, so up to you, of course it's an inline 4 but the tune is made for torque.

I don't include the tracer 900, because having owned a MT-09 I really hate the throttle that's on/off and chassis is really not the quality of Triumph Tigers.
You might want to check the tenere 700, pretty light and surprisingly revs a lot for a twin, it not as breathless as other smaller twins.

About BMW, here we call there gearbox "agricultural" definitely the worse gearboxes of all motorcycles I've tried.

Sorry but that V Strom is pig ugly, Ive had two TL1000s and my first bike was a SV650s so I know the DNA very well but I cant see past how it looks.

The Africa Twin, in my opinion is probably the best allrounder especially with a DCT box, but its to tall for me.

Ive had lots (7) of Kawasakis over the years but never really gelled with any of them, except maybe the ZZR1400 and I dont really want a 4 cylinder bike.

The Tracer was on my list, but only in the same way the NC750X is, there cheap.

The Tenere might be worth a look at the 2020 model, but its missing a lot of spec, from the bikes Im considering.

Both the 850 GS and the Tiger are still included but it will depend on whats about used.

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 653
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 05:52:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Darranna [+]
Sorry but that V Strom is pig ugly, Ive had two TL1000s and my first bike was a SV650s so I know the DNA very well but I cant see past how it looks.

The Africa Twin, in my opinion is probably the best allrounder especially with a DCT box, but its to tall for me.

Ive had lots (7) of Kawasakis over the years but never really gelled with any of them, except maybe the ZZR1400 and I dont really want a 4 cylinder bike.

The Tracer was on my list, but only in the same way the NC750X is, there cheap.

The Tenere might be worth a look at the 2020 model, but its missing a lot of spec, from the bikes Im considering.

Both the 850 GS and the Tiger are still included but it will depend on whats about used.

Honestly if you're mainly a road guy, don't buy the BMW, the XR Tigers are really much more adept on road, the BMW is really more off-road focused, I remember a good comparison from reliable magazine, they really said the BMW is compromised on the road and was just not fun on highways.

Yeah the tenere is a dirt simple machine, can't exactly put it in the same category equipment wise, but it is very reliable cheap to maintain and upgradeable.
Though if I'm not mistaken, there's no cruise control, to me nowadays for a adv/tourer, this is just a no go.

Hehe man I totally agree on kawis, they are good but to me soulless for some reason, if the Africa is too tall for you, don't bother with the Versys.

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch