Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa  (Read 1436 times)

Online tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Test rode a 2019 800 XCa
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 08:02:35 PM »
Have you considered the T120 or the Scrambler 1200XC? Heavier than the Speed Twin but a less committed riding position - the T120 has a bit less power but the Scrambler comes quite close.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Darranna

• Tiger Member
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 08:06:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Have you considered the T120 or the Scrambler 1200XC? Heavier than the Speed Twin but a less committed riding position - the T120 has a bit less power but the Scrambler comes quite close.

Hi the scramblers are to tall and dont off any wind protection

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 12:20:19 PM »
Seeing as you like twins, the scrambler 1200 (lower one) seems logical as very similar engine to what you have.
I wouldnt  say the feel anytaller than anything else?

Tenere 700 is great but obviously suits its price, lack of kit and not best suspension - if I didnt have a newish tiger, would be my bike of choice.

Guess next one to try could be Ktm 790, by all acousnts a great bike but more focused and potentially more reliability questions (if internet is to be believed! :008:)

Offline Darranna

• Tiger Member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
KTMs dont do anything for me Im afraid.

I have a test ride booked on a Moto Guzzi V85 for tomorrow morning, following this I will make a decision, or look at bikes outside the Adventure group.

If Honda made a high spec NC750 with more power and the DCT that would be a nice alternative.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2020, 12:42:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Darranna [+]
KTMs dont do anything for me Im afraid.

I have a test ride booked on a Moto Guzzi V85 for tomorrow morning, following this I will make a decision, or look at bikes outside the Adventure group.

If Honda made a high spec NC750 with more power and the DCT that would be a nice alternative.

Let me tell you about my dealership, before they sold Triumph they were a KTM dealer, I asked them about it and they told me the brand new KTMs almost all had issues, that their warranty claims were like 80% of the bikes, it was very annoying and main house did not give a sh*t, so they told them to go F themselves and switches to selling Triumph and Ducati... I think it says a lot, also my buddy doing dirt competition on KTM said they are fragile.

Offline Darranna

• Tiger Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 12:57:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Let me tell you about my dealership, before they sold Triumph they were a KTM dealer, I asked them about it and they told me the brand new KTMs almost all had issues, that their warranty claims were like 80% of the bikes, it was very annoying and main house did not give a sh*t, so they told them to go F themselves and switches to selling Triumph and Ducati... I think it says a lot, also my buddy doing dirt competition on KTM said they are fragile.

Interesting, I test rode a couple of KTMs a few years ago and did not like them, probably to do with my restricted leg length.

Offline Ace23

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »
done 30,000 miles on my 2015 tiger 800 always drive to work via M11 and M25 of 50 miles onw way always got numbing of the left hand thumb after about 15 minutes riding only bike I have ever had that problem with just put up with it and after that mileage it did sound a bit louder on the top end but I suppose that would be normal for a higher mileage. I have always rested my fingers on the levers when riding couldn't do so on the tiger they vibrated too much so had to learn to just hold the hand grips.
Maybe that's the reason they have changed the firing order on the newer bikes  :027:

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 01:44:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ace23 [+]
done 30,000 miles on my 2015 tiger 800 always drive to work via M11 and M25 of 50 miles onw way always got numbing of the left hand thumb after about 15 minutes riding only bike I have ever had that problem with just put up with it and after that mileage it did sound a bit louder on the top end but I suppose that would be normal for a higher mileage. I have always rested my fingers on the levers when riding couldn't do so on the tiger they vibrated too much so had to learn to just hold the hand grips.
Maybe that's the reason they have changed the firing order on the newer bikes  :027:

They changed it for off-roaders nothing else, let me just say it's unlikely to be the bike at fault, because you don't get both hands numb.
I once had the opportunity to ride one of those famous Buell, got numb hands within minutes and when I had my Africa twin after 4-5h my hands would get tingly.

You would be surprised how it might be a glove issue, gloves are never exactly the same each sides, or your left hand for a reason is getting carpal tunnel before right hand.
I know this because I bought great leather summer gloves, but if I wear a watch, left hand gets numb with them, if I don't wear a watch, nothing.
With another pair, the wrist strap is different on the right and if I just tighten it the wrong way, I get my little finger numb.

So really when it's both hands it's likely the bike, otherwise, many things can be at fault.

Offline Darranna

• Tiger Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 01:58:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ace23 [+]

I never got that tingerly feeling, but I know what you mean, I used to get it on a Kawasaki ZX6R and I had three of them and they all did it, although I used to get it on my right hand (little figure).

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2020, 06:24:11 PM »
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Recent Topics