Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Enduro Road Tires  (Read 516 times)

Offline Ozmodias

• Tiger Cub
  • Per Aspera, Ad Astra
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Enduro Road Tires
« on: July 13, 2020, 07:23:10 AM »
Hello fellow Triumph riders,
I am looking for new set of tires for my 2011's 800XC. I intend to drive it for now mainly on road, like 85/90% road 15/10% offroad (dirt roads, dusty farm roads, nothing hardcore, nothing extreme, at this point). I am looking for something with good grip on wet tarmac and stable behaviour when dry in corners. Yeah, I know it sounds like too much of a criteria. Here in Bulgaria the roads are not in so good condition, the weather is mainly sunny during the riding season, with short but heavy rains (especially in the summer).
Now I have Mitas E07's which are amazing off road tire, but they don't gave me enough stability on the road. Other reason for me wanting to change them is some strange wobbling between 50 and 70 Kph (30 - 40 Mph).
I am looking to some METZELER TOURANCE 150/70 R17 69H TL or Michelin Anakee 3 (I like better the 2's but they are old I think) and DUNLOP 90/90-21 54H TL TRAILMAX TR91. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Τὰ μέλλοντα μὴ ταρασσέτω:ἥξεις γὰρ ἐπ̓ αὐτά,ἐὰν δεήσῃ,φέρων τὸν αὐτὸν λόγον ᾧ νῦν πρὸς τὰ παρόντα χρᾷ

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Enduro Road Tires
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 08:11:18 AM »

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ozmodias [+]
I am looking for new set of tires for my 2011's 800XC. I intend to drive it for now mainly on road, like 85/90% road 15/10% offroad

I've had a good experience with the Continental TKC70s' in similar riding conditions to what you describe - good road performance, stable in the wet and decent in the dirt with decent overall mileage.

Needed something a bit more aggressive for the dirt however and considered the TKC 80s' but the newly released Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres got great all-round reviews in the 2020 adv tyre shootout -
/>
You might want to have a look at those - unfortunately I'm still waiting for the set that I had ordered a month ago and hence cannot give you my own impressions at this stage.
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 04:11:28 PM »
obligatory pic of new tyres :-) Dunlop Trailmax Mission fitted - now let's see what they do in the dirt over the weekend  :017:

When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 11:19:39 PM »
I am looking for new set of tires for my 2011's 800XC. I intend to drive it for now mainly on road, like 85/90% road 15/10% offroad (dirt roads, dusty farm roads, nothing hardcore, nothing extreme, at this point). I am looking for something with good grip on wet tarmac and stable behaviour when dry in corners. Yeah, I know it sounds like too much of a criteria. Here in Bulgaria the roads are not in so good condition, the weather is mainly sunny during the riding season, with short but heavy rains (especially in the summer).
Now I have Mitas E07's which are amazing off road tire, but they don't gave me enough stability on the road. Other reason for me wanting to change them is some strange wobbling between 50 and 70 Kph (30 - 40 Mph).
I am looking to some METZELER TOURANCE 150/70 R17 69H TL or Michelin Anakee 3 (I like better the 2's but they are old I think) and DUNLOP 90/90-21 54H TL TRAILMAX TR91. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
i would say pirelli scorpion str, we have similar slippery roads, and i hear only good reviews from friends

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 11:23:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]
obligatory pic of new tyres :-) Dunlop Trailmax Mission fitted - now let's see what they do in the dirt over the weekend  :017:

:418: will wait report  :031:

Offline Ozmodias

• Tiger Cub
  • Per Aspera, Ad Astra
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 08:58:24 AM »
So after a lot of reading, asing and wondering - I ordered Avon Trailrider. Soon they will be here and will mount them. Of Course there will be pictures, and after a while - an honest opinion. Thank you all for your advices, recommendations and opinions.
Q, the tires are awesome. Can't wait to hear from you about their behaviour on the road. 
Τὰ μέλλοντα μὴ ταρασσέτω:ἥξεις γὰρ ἐπ̓ αὐτά,ἐὰν δεήσῃ,φέρων τὸν αὐτὸν λόγον ᾧ νῦν πρὸς τὰ παρόντα χρᾷ

Offline daniburton

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »
On my 800 xrt i put a new set of Pirelli Scorpion STR.
I make, like you 85% road and 15% off-road, so i was searching for something safe for off-road but i didn't want tyres which would vibrate at higher speeds or fast deteriorating ones.
I decided to try the Pirellis and i'm really satisfied about them, because apart for the good behaviour in off road conditions i can even lean more than with the original metzeler tourance when i'm on asphalt. I've made 8000kms on the tyres and i find them still safe for riding, even on rainy conditions.

Look at the picture.. not bad, huh  :008:

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 07:40:02 AM »
Q, the tires are awesome. Can't wait to hear from you about their behaviour on the road.

k - early days but the Dunlops are very well behaved on the road and you can now definitely feel that you have a 21" upfront - needs slightly more pressure on the bar to initiate a turn but tracks very stable in the lean

had them up well beyond legal speed on the tar (after scrubbing them in during an off-road session) and absolutely no problems or excessive noise in spite of the lugs being ~1cm apart on the rear

nice positive traction in the dirt and deep sand - can't yet vouch for the efficacy of the lugs on the side-wall but I did some serious gravel/loose stone climbs without losing traction or major fish-tailing

also had a 1250GS fitted with Dunlops on the course (ridden by an expert GS Challenge qualifier) and he was singing the praises of the tyres

think we might just have found the perfect 50/50 compromise tyre in the Dunlop Trailmax Mission (wet and mud testing still pending as well as mileage) so I'll reserve final judgement

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:42:12 AM by Q »

Offline Ozmodias

• Tiger Cub
  • Per Aspera, Ad Astra
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 08:21:26 AM »
Damn, seems like some really heavy offroad. Thank you for the feedback, Q. Looking forward for your overall review.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch