Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?  (Read 1301 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline NigelW

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 15
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
  • Location: Richmond
New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« on: July 15, 2020, 07:54:15 PM »
Hi, just had fitted Avon Trailriders to front and back.
Front: 110/80 R19 59V
Rear: 150/70 R17 69V

I had on previously the standard Metzlers Tourance Next (same size rear) Front was 100/90ZR19

So I ordered the  110 / 80 R19 Trailriders in the belief I could not get a 100/90 R19...but it looks like I could have.  Both tyres are on spec. 

I'm fairly new to riding an MC, so my experience is a little limited, but boy did the bike feel different riding home on the new tyres.

I see lots of people posting that they have added the 110 / 80 R19 to their bikes...should I have got the 100 / 90...or in reality will it not make much difference and after a few days, my bike will feel like an old friend again?

Thanks!

Nigel


Online Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3842
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 08:06:23 PM »
It's not even worth pondering over ....

100/90 bias 1970's tyre technology (though modern compounds)

V

110/80 radial modern technology (and matching radial rear tyre)
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 8833
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 08:06:57 PM »
You'll be fine with the 110. In fact you'll just be better off period. 110 is the alternative fitment. It really should be the original fitment. Been using 110 on the Tiger  since my 1st tyre change 8.5 years ago.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline NigelW

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 15
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
  • Location: Richmond
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 08:20:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
It's not even worth pondering over ....

100/90 bias 1970's tyre technology (though modern compounds)

V

110/80 radial modern technology (and matching radial rear tyre)

*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
You'll be fine with the 110. In fact you'll just be better off period. 110 is the alternative fitment. It really should be the original fitment. Been using 110 on the Tiger  since my 1st tyre change 8.5 years ago.


Thanks for the replies....So I'm panicking over nothing?  Why do they feel so different then?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:23:16 PM by NigelW »

Online Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3842
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »
They feel different purely because you got used to riding with mixed tyres.  If you want to spend a bit of time going back through 'tyre' threads/posts you will find probably 95% of members run the 110/80 radial and will tell you they found it an improvement to handling and enjoyment. There are only a few that even stuck with the factory Metzeler Tourance Next but upgraded the front to the 110/80 size to eliminate the terrible white banding tendency of the bias belted 100/90 factory tyre.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline NigelW

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 15
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
  • Location: Richmond
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 09:01:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
They feel different purely because you got used to riding with mixed tyres.  If you want to spend a bit of time going back through 'tyre' threads/posts you will find probably 95% of members run the 110/80 radial and will tell you they found it an improvement to handling and enjoyment. There are only a few that even stuck with the factory Metzeler Tourance Next but upgraded the front to the 110/80 size to eliminate the terrible white banding tendency of the bias belted 100/90 factory tyre.

Thanks Stevie  :031:

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 869
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 09:17:26 PM »
What's not to like, 5mm more on each sides, in case of slippery days it's more room not to
loose traction !

Coming from an Africa twin, it felt to me bias ply did better with tubes, the XR being tubeless
it's far better going full radial, I never felt the front being vague or slip with the 110.

Offline TigerNige

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 207
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
  • Location: NW Kent
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »
Have 110/80 on my 2012 road. Had  Tourance Next and now  Scorpions (been happy with both) the 110/80 can make a big difference, and certainly no worse. And is a Triumph factory  approved fitment. So no insurance problems.

Offline K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4551
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 10:23:03 PM »
Got 32,000 km from my last Avon Trailrider 110/80.
When you get that sort of wear combined with transformative handling whats not to like.

Offline boldie

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 80
  • Bike: 2020 Plate XRt
  • Location: Lincolnshire UK
Re: New tyres, different size...Opinions please?
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »
I just swapped out the front Tourance today for the 110 /80 version of the same tyre as discussed many times on here. Wow, what a difference!
Was surprised to notice that the original 100/90 had quite a lot of wear on it with only 2K miles from use from new, much more wear than the rear.
Glad to have got rid of the white lining too!

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch