Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Small oil drip from drain hose after oil change  (Read 692 times)

Offline Jopps

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: XCX 2015
Small oil drip from drain hose after oil change
« on: July 16, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »
I had a oil change on my 2015 Tiger XCX (total milage 1100 kilometers) and since then I've noticed a small oil stain just back of the kickstand, beneath the bike, a couple of times. I noticed there are 3 different pipes/hoses sticking out under the bike there, and I located the drip to one of these pipes since it's wet with a little bit of oil when I touch it. I don't do services myself and I don't know alot about that stuff, but if I understand it correctly, this is a drain hose for the airbox etc? Should these be plugged? Because on my bike they aren't (i bought the bike used a couple of years ago).

It's not a lot and it seems to be very slow. I had the bike parked for about 5 days with no drip when I suddenly found about 5-10 ml worth of oil beneath it again. This has happened three times now, and I did the oil change about one month ago. After the second time I did drive by the service shop that did the job, and they looked at it briefly without finding anything wrong and said it's probably nothing to care about (and that it eventually will stop). I have also checked the oil level and it doesn't look overfilled.

Any ideas on what could cause this and how worried should I be?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:23:31 PM by Jopps »

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Small oil drip from drain hose after oil change
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:51:41 PM »
If the oil change was a bit sloppy there could be a fair amount of waste oil sloshing about on the skid plate. As the bike is moved about there could be drips for awhile. Is the oil that drips clean new oil or dirty oil?  If it is new, clean oil then you have a leak for sure. If dirty oil, then don't worry to much.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 11:11:18 PM »
Make sure  the drain plug bolt isn't leaking ( too loose, stripped thread, no/bad washer), and that the oil filter is also tight and not leaking. These leaks would occur after an oil change if done incorrectly.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 04:27:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jopps [+]
...I've noticed a small oil stain just back of the kickstand, beneath the bike, a couple of times.
I noticed there are 3 different pipes/hoses sticking out under the bike there, and I located the drip to one of these pipes since it's wet with a little bit of oil when I touch it.
I understand it correctly, this is a drain hose for the airbox etc?
Should these be plugged? Because on my bike they aren't (i bought the bike used a couple of years ago).
Any ideas on what could cause this and how worried should I be?
Sorry, I've no idea about your possible oil drip/stain.
But, the small hoses emanating beneath the bike are for fuel tank vent and overflow drain -- and aren't plugged.
AFAIK, the airbox doesn't have a drain?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 04:30:06 AM by AvgBear »
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Jopps

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 05:54:43 AM »
Thank you for your answers.

Oil on the skid plate was actually the service shops first guess too, so when I took it back there they cleaned it up and from what I can see that shouldnt be the problem.
The other thing is if it would be from the skid plate or drain plug, shouldnt the drip be in front of the kickstand? Now its further back.

The oil feels clean,  but its so little its hard to say for sure.

Its definitely one of those little rubber hoses in the back that are wet with some oil, but of course its hard to say if its from the actually hose itself or if its running on the outside. And it also weird it only seems to appear after the bike been parked for several days?
So like this last time, I didnt see any drop for more than 1,5 week, then I took it for a ride last weekend, I checked on it everyday when parked and it wasnt until Thursday this stain appeared (and it seems like everything coming out at once, its not building up, its literally nothing for days, and then suddenly a stain). So it doesnt feel like a steady drip, more like its accumulating somewhere and then comes down days later in one go?

Picture to make it a bit clearer how it looks:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:04:10 AM by Jopps »

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 12:59:45 PM »
That hose is the fuel overflow outlet from the petrol tank. Did you happen to top up the tank prior to your arrival home and then park the bike? 
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
Chain lube?

The crud build up at the front sprocket needs regular clean out, or it builds up, holds oil, then drips.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Jopps

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »
Thank you for all suggestions and input, I really appreciate it!

Tank is only about 70% filled or so right now, so I don't think that's the problem.

Chain lube is not impossible I guess, but I feel it's unlikely. I had the bike for 2 years and never had this problem before after greasing up the chain, so that it would suddenly happen three times in 1,5 month is a bit unlikely. Gonna give it a closer look tomorrow just in case to see if anything been building up there.

I feel that this have happened on hotter days, not sure if it's an coincidence or not. Could something with having the bike covered and sun shining on it cause something like this? But again, I haven't seen this before, and there's definitely been hot summer days earlier years too, so maybe I'm just grasping at straws here. It's also not parked completely leveled (new parking spot this year is in somewhat of a slope, nothing crazy, but front of the bike is a bit higher than the back for sure, if that could have some kind of impact?).

Offline MarcW

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger Road
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 02:34:59 AM »
Could be the air box drain, oil from the crankcase breather if not a vapour will drain out. 
Rubber side down the only way to travel!

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 02:35:47 AM »
The new parking spot might be a clue. If there is any liquid sitting in the skid plate it could slowly ooze down hill. :112:

Chico

Recent Topics