Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: chain and a leak  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: chain and a leak
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 08:38:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Now all I need is correct front sprocket and I can actually ride. For some reason my 525 chain and sprocket kit had a 520 front sprocket.

520 front sprocket appears to be correct as far as I've found (recently discussd).

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27917.msg303859.html#msg303859
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 11:25:42 PM »
Doesn't fit on shaft though so not correct for me.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
Discard previous post. Cleaning glasses and carefully lining up does the job. Not one that can be wiggled on.  :125:. All fired and reassembled. All lovely jubbly.

Online tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 05:07:29 PM »
Could the confusion be because the JT Sprockets catalogue lists JTF520 as the part number for the front sprocket? The 520 isn't the chain size, it's the part number. The chain size is 525 (see bottom left):

Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 05:22:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Could the confusion be because the JT Sprockets catalogue lists JTF520 as the part number for the front sprocket? The 520 isn't the chain size, it's the part number. The chain size is 525 (see bottom left):

That indeed was my initial confusion. Compounded when I sloppily tried to push onto the output shaft with a wiggle - which doesn't work due to the precision fit. So moral of the story is not to be an arrse and assuming when working.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 01:27:17 PM »
Where are you at age and mileage wise now KM (for the bike I might add), seems like you've had yours forever  :016:
Now available in "Batman"

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 02:46:38 PM »
I'm curious if I understand correctly you swap the front sprocket and keep the current chain !?

Must say I have no experience about that, mon longest owned bike went 36'000Km, so chain
was still fine, but here dealers say you should always change everything, 2 sprockets and the
chain, or risk premature wear.
So is this a reality or do the shops just want to sell more parts, as usual ?

I'm tempted to try a different ratio, but chain is still fine, so that intersts me quite.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 04:11:51 PM »
It used to be common on the Honda Africa Twin (the XRV 650-750cc), to just change the front sprocket, the Honda front sprocket was twice as much, or more in price as the aftermarket parts and to buy everything seperate when kits were introduced cost much more, so most people went with the kits.

Some people bought the kit and a Honda sprocket, which lasted longer, binned the kit front sprocket and replaced with the Honda one. It depends what works out cheapest and best, Wemoto offer a variety of options.

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/triumph/tiger_800_xrx/15/

Now available in "Batman"

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 04:21:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Where are you at age and mileage wise now KM (for the bike I might add), seems like you've had yours forever  :016:
Bought end of Feb 2011. Now at 91k+

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 04:54:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
It used to be common on the Honda Africa Twin (the XRV 650-750cc), to just change the front sprocket, the Honda front sprocket was twice as much, or more in price as the aftermarket parts and to buy everything seperate when kits were introduced cost much more, so most people went with the kits.

Some people bought the kit and a Honda sprocket, which lasted longer, binned the kit front sprocket and replaced with the Honda one. It depends what works out cheapest and best, Wemoto offer a variety of options.

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/triumph/tiger_800_xrx/15/

Thanks I can actually get the JT locally, but as I'm now around 14K Km I'm wondering if it such a good idea,
to change it now instead of waiting when at least rear sprocket is dead.
Do both sprockets actually wear at the same speed, or not (buying good brand of course) ?

Recent Topics