Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Face covering conundrum?  (Read 2274 times)

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
Re: Face covering conundrum?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 06:27:45 AM »
Here I thought we in the US have too many silly rules. I have never been asked to remove my helmet when filling up, nor do the attendants care whether I'm sitting on the bike or stand next to it upside down. :005:

Chico

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 06:32:56 AM »
In the UK it is an anti-theft measure adopted by some retailers to supposedly prevent offenders hiding their identity whilst stealing fuel or robbing the premises. A bit pointless these days given the prevalence of masks, and it never made much sense when plenty of bikers wear snoods/balaclavas under their helmets in colder conditions.

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 07:16:29 AM »
Fuel theft must be so rare here that I've never heard of any. Shootings at gas/petrol stations, yes quite often, but not for petrol theft reason. Americans like to shoot each other for more important reasons, like drugs. :125:

Chico

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Probably because fuel is far cheaper in the US than it is in Europe Chico.

Anyhow, this thread has reminded me of another thing to pack for my mini tour of Wales in a couple of weeks. 😉

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
Fuel theft must be so rare here that I've never heard of any. Shootings at gas/petrol stations, yes quite often, but not for petrol theft reason.

The industry claims that Aud$58 million of fuel is stolen each year in this country by drive offs.
Keep in mind that pay at the bowser and pay before filling up are very much still in the minority of transactions here. The vast majority of purchases are fill the vehicle then go inside to pay.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 10:09:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
Fuel theft must be so rare here that I've never heard of any.

The UK also has always been fill and pay afterwards, though card payment option at the pump facility is now available as the normal. Hence as fuel became more expensive (around $7 to $8'ish UK gallon at peak) so drive offs and fuel thefts increased and having holidayed every year since 1997 in the USA and always had to pay cash upfront before pump authorised and obtaining fuel and then getting any balance returned I have long wondered why the UK system doesn't employ the same system. The one thing I've found in the US though is that the pumps don't recognise UK credit/debit cards, even my 'World wide' credit card, so I just stick to cash.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 11:53:48 AM »
I just wear a stocking over my head. Works a treat. Go into pay, they put their hands up, give me some money, jobs a goodun.

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 12:02:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
The UK also has always been fill and pay afterwards, though card payment option at the pump facility is now available as the normal. Hence as fuel became more expensive (around $7 to $8'ish UK gallon at peak) so drive offs and fuel thefts increased and having holidayed every year since 1997 in the USA and always had to pay cash upfront before pump authorised and obtaining fuel and then getting any balance returned I have long wondered why the UK system doesn't employ the same system. The one thing I've found in the US though is that the pumps don't recognise UK credit/debit cards, even my 'World wide' credit card, so I just stick to cash.

Most fuel pumps in the US are self service with credit card, if cash is used then it varies whether one has to pay in advance or after fill up.
As you stated, your cc was probably not accepted because of its origin.

Chico

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
FWIW, I have never been asked to remove my helmet, sure I've seen the signs but I've always ignored them without issue.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Low
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 12:18:25 PM »
I wonder if you put one hand over mouth and nose, the other holding contactless card, this would be acceptable!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch