Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New owner to a 2012 Tiger 800, any recommendations for mods? Off-road advice?  (Read 703 times)

Offline Atdooms-

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 12 XRX
Hey guys! Just got a 2012 Tiger 800 for myself, I sold my 2003 NOS CBR1100XX for it since I have a 13' ZX10R and wanted a bike more practical.

Is there any essential mods you guys recommend putting on it? I already got cases, barkbusters, heated grips, strapped on tank bag, and a Madstad windscreen.

Also is the normal non XCx edition of the Tiger 800 good with offroading or not recommended?

I'm not too well versed with this bike since all my prior expierence is with Supersport bikes and some sport tourers, also my first non-japanese motorcycle.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:11:56 AM by Atdooms- »

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
The Roadie (the bike you have) is an all roads or any road bike. Essentially if you would take an all wheel drive vehicle on it, think Subaru her not hairy chested raised Land Rover with winch, then you can ride the bike on it easy.
If you have no off road experience dont even contemplate going anywhere other than pavement until you spring for some basic training. You will appreciate it not long after the course starts.

Offline Atdooms-

• Tiger Cub
I got some expierence off road with dirt bikes when I was a lil younger and some lil blasts of it a year back or so. I have been doing some small packed dirt and gravel roads since I got it but in short terms, if I don't think my car would do it, the bike probably wont? That's good to keep in mind, appreciate it!

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
Crash bars might be a good idea if you're going to do any off road stuff, or even just staying on the roads.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
*Originally Posted by Atdooms- [+]
I got some expierence off road with dirt bikes when I was a lil younger and some lil blasts of it a year back or so. I have been doing some small packed dirt and gravel roads since I got it

The Tiger will weigh in the region of 250kg with fuel and gear it is not in any way shape or form a dirt bike of the type you probably rode when younger. Frankly all big ADV bikes are overweight pigs when they get anywhere near off road and that should always be at the forefront of any riders mind when they see something that looks fun.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
Indeed, I wouldn't even contemplate taking my Tiger off road. I really don't think I'd be able to pick it up if it went down.    :110:

I'd want something around 200kg or less if I was going to do that, the new Tenere 700 looks decent for that purpose.

Offline Atdooms-

• Tiger Cub
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]
Indeed, I wouldn't even contemplate taking my Tiger off road. I really don't think I'd be able to pick it up if it went down.    :110:

I'd want something around 200kg or less if I was going to do that, the new Tenere 700 looks decent for that purpose.

I had an accident on my CBR1100XX and the whole front end was destoryed, fixed that over the winter and had it running tip top shape by summer but when the accident happened, I had to pick that bike up and it was near 600lbs with all the mods I had on that. I'm only a 140lbs kid and I was able to pick it up, it's all about how you do it lol

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
Technique is part of it, of course if you're off road it could be much harder depending on what type of terrain you went down on.

Offline Atdooms-

• Tiger Cub
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]
Technique is part of it, of course if you're off road it could be much harder depending on what type of terrain you went down on.

If you can get some good footing, I don't think it'd be too hard, I definitely want to replace the Triumph cases I have since they're plastic and would get damaged if they went down. I'll probably look into some full metal cases and mounts, engine guards, highway pegs, LED headlight upgrades, and possibly a seat? OEM is okay but got a lil uncomfy after 100 miles. Otherwise I'm loving the Tiger for distance riding so far, my ZX10R I can barely do 45 minutes on before my butt is killing me.

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
crash bars is a good idea, folding gear lever, and if you are planing some off road, maybe soft panniers (like mosko moto) are safer(for your legs in a case of going down)  and lighter, 
lifting up a tiger, in some cases like mine, when i drop it in sand (without panniers and went all the way down) is not always easy.....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:28:07 PM by rantanplan »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch