Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New owner to a 2012 Tiger 800, any recommendations for mods? Off-road advice?  (Read 702 times)

Offline rustynut

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
I would be looking into some more of road tires. My xc sees lots of forest roads, I never air down but it is an option. If doing lots of gravel a pre-filter might come in handy. I bought but never installed it as I change the filter every year. You cant see how bad it gets till you remove it, yuck.
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you.

12 800XC
14 DRZ400

Offline Atdooms-

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 12 XRX
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]
Technique is part of it, of course if you're off road it could be much harder depending on what type of terrain you went down on.

I take back what I said, oh boy, if you can't get footing you're screwed. Not even a scratch luckily but hey, it was still a lot of fun to off-road the XR and I only went down because I hit a downhill bump and couldn't catch my footing. Didn't hard drop but was able to gently place it on the ground.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
You still got her right side up so all is good. I just like how much fun you seem to be having on your Tiger. I wish I was more care free.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
glad you're ok and enjoying the bike :-)

when things get squirrely on the dirt, it's always advisable to stand up, look up and open up - the bike wants to stay upright and it's usually our actions which cause the tip-over

definitely invest in some training - I'm doing yet another off-road course this weekend

in terms of farkles, I would suggest a foot extender for the side stand (you can see in your picture how she sinks into any soft surface) and some tank crash bars - adds weight on top where you don't need it (especially on the Tiger) but apart from the protection it also makes the bike slightly easier to pick up as it causes the bike to not lay down quite so level to the ground as is usually the case)

lastly - not sure what pegs you have on but decent dirt pegs such as those on the XCA is a must if you intend standing up when riding on the dirt - standing up does wonders for lowering the centre of gravity on the Tiger and being as top heavy as Tigers are, they need all the help they can get in this regard

nearly forgot - move those indicators higher on the bike or be prepared to lose them when you go over on the side
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:38:38 AM by Q »
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Atdooms-

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 12 XRX
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]
You still got her right side up so all is good. I just like how much fun you seem to be having on your Tiger. I wish I was more care free.

Full send, I've seen plenty of videos of people doing it so I said screw it, why not lol

I'm used to really high speeds coming from supersports, what's the worst low speeds on dirt gonna do? If I go down, pick it up and go again

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
glad you are o.k, falls are common in dirt
I agree with Q, some dirt training will improve your skills, dirt riding has different body position than road
a bike set up also will make handling better,

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjGoPii2eDqAhUFGuwKHaqJBBIQtwIwAXoECAQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dq58g03DSHIs&usg=AOvVaw09GC_H3wIrP9huW8iC0TRk

as regarding crash bars i had fitted to mine, Triumph upper bars but was disappointed when in a slow fall in sand they bent in, so i replaced them with outback motortek, haven't yet tried them.... but looks more strong
also a sump guard depending what kind off roads you will go, a headlight protector if you ride with other bikes in front of you to protect your headlight from flying stones coming from the front bike
and the best of all is tires...

enjoy your big cat  :031:

Recent Topics