Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TIGER 900 GT PRO  (Read 982 times)

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
TIGER 900 GT PRO
« on: July 20, 2020, 02:20:16 PM »
First 250 miles covered on my new GT PRO.  After a 3 year gap, glad to be back on a Tiger.

Still running-in, so yet  to find out how she performs fully loaded, 2-up on a decent trip, but first impressions are that the 900 will be up to it.  Reason for purchase - to replace my 3 year old R1200GS Triple Black (which I also love).

The Tiger doesn't have the same road presence of the GS, plus the BM has a slightly higher quality feel to it (eg stainless fasteners, ESC on front suspension, better instrumentation). The suspension on the GS is more plush and the ergonomics and comfort are superb. However, the LC is a heavy beast to move around and as I get older, I need something lighter and easier to manoeuvre. The Tiger engine sounds better, has more character and provides a more exciting ride. The 900 actually feels quicker than the GS even though it has 25% less power.

Things I love about the GTPRO:
- The extra grunt of the engine (over my 2015 800XCX)
- The slick quick-shifter (better than my 2015 Street Triple and 2017 GS1200LC)
- The light feel of the bike.

Things I dont like:
- The vibes over 75. They're not bad, and most will be able to live with them. Hence, it wasn't a deal breaker for me because I rarely cruise at very high speed for long periods.  They are just a notable departure from the silky smooth 800 .
- Having had a two Tiger 800s previously, the looks are a bit samey samey. Love the slimmer headlights and TFT screen.
- Lack of colour choice.

Here's some photos from the the first couple of rides (Peak District)

Wil post some more when I have more experience of the bike.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:43:00 PM by Rocket »

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
Re: TIGER 900 GT PRO
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
Hi Ron
So what have you now got in the stable; have the Beemer and Honda gone to new pastures?
I assume well all get introduced to your new baby in October..., and I think you should get some accessories fitted; its looking a bit unloved.
Cheers
Geoff

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:14:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by GeoffS [+]
Hi Ron
So what have you now got in the stable; have the Beemer and Honda gone to new pastures?
I assume well all get introduced to your new baby in October..., and I think you should get some accessories fitted; its looking a bit unloved.
Cheers
Geoff
Tiger 900 GT PRO
Street Triple RX
Bonneville Speed Twin
R1200GS Triple Black
Honda CRF250 has been sold. Am putting the Beema up for sale shortly.

Haven't got around to browsing the accessories catalogue yet, but my birthday's coming up  :001:

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 11:15:50 PM »
With only 250 miles on the bike I cant see any point at all in commenting on engine vibrations. Wait till the bike runs in properly then report back.

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 09:44:40 AM »
Why not comment on the vibes if its a valid point?
Rocket is making a direct comparison with the silky smooth 800, and we all know that the new motor behaves in a different way, so whether its run in or not theres going to be a noticeable difference; after all, the gentleman has been around a bit and covered a few miles on his Tigers.

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 Plate XRt
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 10:44:03 AM »
I rode a Rally Pro with over 2k miles on it. Vibes were still there 5kRPM+ as you would expect since it is as a result of out of balance dynamic forces on account of the T plane crank pin arrangement/ uneven firing interval.
I think its extremely unlikely to reduce noticeably or fade away with running hours but happy to be proven wrong, if they do, Ill kick myself for getting a new 800 instead and go and buy the 900, but I wont hold my breath...
OPs post seems perfectly reasonable and valid to me.

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 01:18:37 PM »
Picked up 900 gt pro last Friday in black. lovely bike engine has lots of character and the vibes which dont bother me to much but engine Sounds awesome. First 200 mile impressions I agree with rocket with his comments.

Offline paul_o

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Roadie
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocket [+]
Things I love about the GTPRO:
- The extra grunt of the engine (over my 2015 800XCX)
- The slick quick-shifter (better than my 2015 Street Triple and 2017 GS1200LC)
- The light feel of the bike.

I'm quite interested in this feedback - you say its got more grunt than your old 800.  Markedly so?  Also, did you have the original 800??

I'm toying between buying an old 800 and going full on with mods (tune, suspension replacement) or to simply go PCP on a new 900....
-------------------------
11 Tiger 800 Road (long gone)
13 Tiger 1050 sport (long gone)
Aprilia RSVR

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 05:28:10 PM »
Viewing Rocket's pics what stands out to me is the two radiators. I'm wondering if that's Triumph's answer to the heat emanating from the engine that has plagued the 800.

Chico

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
I had a 800 xrt until I hit a large pot hole and bent it in half. that was 3 years ago and since been riding a 1200 xrt.  I really enjoyed the 800 it handled well and comfortable when touring. all I can say at this stage is the 900 is lighter than the 800 and easier to move about the garage. When I have completed more miles I will report back.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch