Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TIGER 900 GT PRO  (Read 3258 times)

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
Re: TIGER 900 GT PRO
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
They could have rubber mounted the bars which they did on the 2nd Gen Super Tenere. Made a difference vibe wise.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 07:35:57 AM »
As I said in another post I did not feel excessive vibes on 1.5 hrs test ride on GT Pro but I did not take the bike on a motorway. As Ron says apparently you only notice stronger vibes at 75 mph that's about 120 kph in real money. I try to avoid long rides on motorways but it does happen. After 200 kms on my old Tiger my hands tingle would not want a bike where this starts after 100 kms.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 12:12:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by GeoffS [+]
Why not comment on the vibes if its a valid point?
Rocket is making a direct comparison with the silky smooth 800, and we all know that the new motor behaves in a different way, so whether its run in or not theres going to be a noticeable difference; after all, the gentleman has been around a bit and covered a few miles on his Tigers.

Thanks GeoffS, having had two Tiger 800s over 6 years, I know them well, and they definately have smoother engines. Better technical minds than mine give good explanations why the 900 is more vibey than the 800. As you pointed out, I was simply comparing the two engines. After 500 miles, the vibes are still there and I don't expect things will change much.  Personally, I find that they are not too bad.

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 12:19:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by paul_o [+]
I'm quite interested in this feedback - you say its got more grunt than your old 800.  Markedly so?  Also, did you have the original 800??

I'm toying between buying an old 800 and going full on with mods (tune, suspension replacement) or to simply go PCP on a new 900....

The 900 has noticeably more grunt low -mid range. From mid to high range I would say that the difference is negligible.
The 900 feels much lighter than the 800. Its lost that top heavy feel. The sound is also very different (more throaty) but the 900 is vibey from 75-80mph.  I would take the 900 for a couple of test rides before you decide. 

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 08:26:55 AM »
I can sort of understand what Triumph were trying to do with the T900 - essentially to give it some of the characteristics of a twin engine - but I don't like the idea of the uneven firing cycle and the fact that a balancer shaft has to be used to cancel out some of the vibration. The intrinsic appeal of a triple is surely its inherent smoothness and lack of vibration and, unfortunately, Triumph seem to have produced a dual sport bike in the T900 which is neither a twin nor a true triple!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Online tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 06:37:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
I can sort of understand what Triumph were trying to do with the T900 - essentially to give it some of the characteristics of a twin engine - but I don't like the idea of the uneven firing cycle and the fact that a balancer shaft has to be used to cancel out some of the vibration. The intrinsic appeal of a triple is surely its inherent smoothness and lack of vibration and, unfortunately, Triumph seem to have produced a dual sport bike in the T900 which is neither a twin nor a true triple!

The balancer shaft is a bit of a red herring. There's one in the Tiger 800. And, I think you'll find, in every Hinckley Triumph triple since the Trident/Trophy/Daytona appeared.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 09:53:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by paul_o [+]
I'm quite interested in this feedback - you say its got more grunt than your old 800.  Markedly so?  Also, did you have the original 800??

I'm toying between buying an old 800 and going full on with mods (tune, suspension replacement) or to simply go PCP on a new 900....

Honestly drop one tooth on the front sprocket and you'll be even with the 900 grunt wise, it shouldn't be too vibey either on highways it revs 400ish rpm higher.
The only thing I would take on a 900 is the braking, otherwise I'm fine with the 800.

Seeing how the 3rd gen 800 aren't tunable by tune ECU anymore and you need more hardware, I don't think the 900 tune will be any more accessible.
Don't forget one thing, I suspect you could find more power hidden on a Euro 4 bike, my Yamaha dealer and friend, told me the euro 5 R1 if you try tunning you hardly get ponies above 200.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 06:44:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Honestly drop one tooth on the front sprocket and you'll be even with the 900 grunt wise
I think that may be doubtful?
(some empirical evidence may be nec.?)

What with transmission gearing changes (lower ratio 1st) in later Tigers and what with the T900 crankshaft disorientation (and possibly the factory's 'tuning for torque') -- a slightly lower-geared T800 may, still, just not compare - grunt-wise - with a T900?  :084:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 Plate XRt
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »
The 900 may have more torque, but still the same HP.  The smoother HP of the 800 is far nicer to use in my opinion. Somewhere between them is my perfect bike.

Average fuel consumption for the 600 mile running in period on my 800 is showing 71MPG which I find amazing if accurate. What are 900 owners typically showing out of interest?

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 08:45:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
I think that may be doubtful?
(some empirical evidence may be nec.?)

What with transmission gearing changes (lower ratio 1st) in later Tigers and what with the T900 crankshaft disorientation (and possibly the factory's 'tuning for torque') -- a slightly lower-geared T800 may, still, just not compare - grunt-wise - with a T900?  :084:

So grunt is a bit of a questionable idea, if you want as much acceleration and off-road traction, it's possible
with gearing (15/52), if on the other hand you want a twin feel... well you buy a twin engine and therein
lies the weird triumph idea to me, a twin does not rev, a triple does generaly.

I've said it multiple times in different subjects, anyway humans are sh*t at comparing things accurately,
(pants dyno) you simply would always find a 80Nm twin more torquey than a 80Nm triple.
But if both the triple and twin would have a similar torque curve and gearbox, they would have the exact
same traction and acceleration, but the engine feel the human gets will be different.

See about the gearing here I'm not the only one.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/2018-800-lower-first-gear-retrofit-into-a-2016-can-it-be-done.1359970/

The 2018 models allready have a better first gear (12%), I'm not totally sure what you meant, so you
wouldn't benefit as much from 15/50 or 15/52, compared to the 900 with your 2012.

@Boldie I personnaly do from 4.2 l/100 driving like a grandpa/cruise control, to a 4.8l/100 rincing the
throttle more sportly !

There's also something to be said for a bike making the same power but in Euro 5, basically to reduce
emissions, you need to inject more fuel to cool the chambers more, that's why the cc went to 900, but
you can expect since they will aim for the same best emission stochiometric value, that the basic fuel
consumption will be about 10% increased like the cc.
If not it would mean the tune would be even more compromised, to try and not waste too much fuel,
I personnaly will do a retune of my 800, because I feel the Euro 4 compromises, really I was okay with
Euro 3 bikes, but the more it goes the jerkiest injection feels to me.

Sorry for all the tech mumbo jumbo, I like the tech side, hope I didnt bore people  :087:.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:48:02 PM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics