Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Solo or Group Touring?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Solo or Group Touring?
« on: July 22, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
I've organised a few tours with mates now and rarely have any gone to plan.
I've managed to get the accommodation right for everyone but I've always had someone complain about the route in that it's not twisty enough or we are riding too fast or too slow, I've also had two trips to Scotland cancelled after intense planning and a France trip cancelled by covid and another ruined by my bike continuously breaking down (BMW not my Tiger).

Question now is I really like riding on my own but I really like having a beer and a meal with my mates at the end of the day and couldn't imagine going out on my own in the evening in some strange European town eating and drinking by myself so is there a happy medium?

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Solo or Group Touring?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 08:19:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
... I've always had someone complain about the route in that it's not twisty enough or we are riding too fast or too slow, ... so is there a happy medium?

:084: Yes, give them the start and finish location for the day and tell them you'll see them there later. :164:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »
As above, that's what we do

Usually 6 of us on tours, another guy and me usually ride on our own for most of the day because we're hooligans and the rest aren't
Meet up at the hotel or whatever and more than often a couple of times by chance throughout the day.
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »
I have loaded the ones who disagree with anything with coming up with an alternative that suits the group. When it comes to a bit of work they keep quiet.
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 09:53:17 PM »
When part of a group, we usually have a base then do what we want. Together or solo.

:031:

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 10:11:54 PM »
I have been practicing social distancing for most of my life but I have found that people in the small towns that I prefer to lodge in are very good company for an evening brew or two. I have met some very memorable characters. People seem to be less shy about visiting with one guy passing through. I ask the lodging people where the friendliest bar/pub is in town. Most of the time it results in a fine evening.

Not saying that riding groups are a bad idea just that I don't know 5 guys whose riding interests match up with mine. So most longer trips I solo. As has been said, your mileage may vary.  :001:

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 10:30:33 PM »
Hire a support truck and crew for the BMW'S

Online Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 10:52:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
Hire a support truck and crew for the BMW'S

In over 25 years we have only ever had one breakdown. Groups of up to 13.

And it was a new BMW R1250GS  !!!

My 2013 K1600 has run perfectly. But I'm trading it tomorrow for a new Xmax 300 for behind our MoHo.
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 11:05:55 PM »
Been organizing group day rides of up to 40 or so riders since the early 1970s and never really had an issue. Plan the route, make sure everybody understands the rules use the tailman method of corner marking and ride at a pace that everybody is comfortable with. Stop regularly to regroup if its a large group. There can be no democracy on a group ride. The ride leader is in charge and what he or she says or does is what will happen. If you cant accept it leave the ride.
For overnight or multi day rides 4-5 people is my limit usually people I know so there are no issues with personalities or expectations. These days though most of my overnight or multi day rides are with my wife on her bike and that suits us just fine.

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 11:15:55 PM »
+1 for K1W1
We use the Second Man Drop-off during MegaMeet group rides; works a treat. The group leader is the Boss, its his/her plan that we must abide by.
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch