Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Solo or Group Touring?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Solo or Group Touring?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 11:54:08 PM »
One more important thing to consider. Seriously. Aging mens bladder function. If there are male riders over about 55 there needs to be a potty stop at a maximum of every 90 minutes particularly after a coffee stop otherwise people start randomly stopping beside the road and that screws the overall ride up.

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 09:43:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
One more important thing to consider. Seriously. Aging mens bladder function. If there are male riders over about 55 there needs to be a potty stop at a maximum of every 90 minutes particularly after a coffee stop otherwise people start randomly stopping beside the road and that screws the overall ride up.

Obviously spoken by an ageing man with personal experience of these issues! 😂. Ive been there, done that, as they say. (73 year old biker)

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 12:42:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
Obviously spoken by an ageing man with personal experience of these issues! 😂. Ive been there, done that, as they say. (73 year old biker)

Actually no. I can ride till the fuel in the tank runs out without stopping. One trick is not to drink coffee at coffee stops. Hot chocolate or tea or cold juice work better depending on the weather. I do however ride with plenty of males of a certain age who struggle after more than 60-70 minutes without a pit stop so if I am leading a ride I always start keeping an eye out for a suitable stop after about 60 minutes.
The thing that gets me from time to time is arthritis not bladder.  :002:

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
so is there a happy medium?
There is....
I like both: riding on my own and riding in groups. When I go to the Megameets I have both: It takes me three to four days to get to the basecamp so I plan my route, stop where I want to stop, stay over night where I want to sleep etc. Over the years I met some very interesting people in towns I was passing through.

At the Megameet I am happy to ride in the group and follow the group rules as I can be sure the tour captain will take us to the best places in that region and we will have wonderful ride. At night beeing among a group of friends you just spent the day chasing bikes up and down the hills is absolutely golden. Even the odd squirrel may come in at some point (insider joke).

And then it's three to four days back home and I am on my own again.

Perfect combination if you ask me.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 01:31:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
...... I do however ride with plenty of males of a certain age who struggle after more than 60-70 minutes without a pit stop so if I am leading a ride I always start keeping an eye out for a suitable stop after about 60 minutes.

Very considerate of you to think about the needs of ageing, male riders K1W1. Not usually something that younger people would be aware of.  :047:

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
There is....
I like both: riding on my own and riding in groups. When I go to the Megameets I have both: It takes me three to four days to get to the basecamp so I plan my route, stop where I want to stop, stay over night where I want to sleep etc. Over the years I met some very interesting people in towns I was passing through.

At the Megameet I am happy to ride in the group and follow the group rules as I can be sure the tour captain will take us to the best places in that region and we will have wonderful ride. At night beeing among a group of friends you just spent the day chasing bikes up and down the hills is absolutely golden. Even the odd squirrel may come in at some point (insider joke).

And then it's three to four days back home and I am on my own again.

Perfect combination if you ask me.

Yes that does sound like a perfect solution/compromise. I may well try it in Germany next year. 😉

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 10:57:07 PM »

Yes that does sound like a perfect solution/compromise. I may well try it in Germany next year. 😉

You are more than welcome...

Honestly when I tell my friends that my major holiday is spent on my bike's seat and I cover between 3.500 and 4.000 kms in two weeks they all say that I am completely insane. What they don't know is the fact, that apparently my clients, my business partners and my employees seem to accept the fact that I am sitting on a bike and neither phone calls, emails, WhatsApps or whatever will reach me during the day. During the day on a big tour it's just me, the road and the bike. What a relief from my complex normal life.

This being so I guess I need those days on my own just to cool down. It's not just the riding I am on the bike every day when the weather allows it. Getting older I am more peculiar about the weather. When I was younger rule of thumb was: Road is grey, get the bike out. Road is white, take the bus. Today it's more like : the app on my phone says liklihood of rain is 50%, take the SUV....

The main point seems to be free.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »
I ride a couple of times a month with my local bike club and as often as I can with wifey on pillion. I enjoy both events and holiday with the same crowd, or with the wife. It's all good!

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
There's a group of six or seven of us who go to Spain or France every year. The first couple of times we all rode together and whilst that was fun at first, it very shortly became obvious that even amongst ourselves there was a variety of styles and paces.

Sticking together became a bit of a pain and frustrating for all because no-one was happy. Faster riders felt limited, and slower riders felt uncomfortable.

So now what we do is meet up after breakfast and packing and agree the route to the next hotel (I have these pre-booked).  Everyone makes their own route notes, but we indicate the likely next town for a stop.

When we head out, people ride at their own pace so everyone is happy. If the first in line spots a likely cafe coming in to our chosen town, he parks up or waits by the roadside, but somewhere clearly visible.

It's surprising, but there is rarely more than two or three minutes between first and last, only this way everyone's happy and comfortable.

And when we get to the hotel for the night we can all talk about the day's riding and will not have all seen the same things. Keeps it a bit more interesting.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 11:34:29 PM »
I've organised a few tours with mates now and rarely have any gone to plan.
...I've always had someone complain about the route in that it's not twisty enough or we are riding too fast or too slow
Question now is...riding on my own...with my mates...is there a happy medium?
To those who take on the task of organizing group rides -- congratulations for your efforts (and, good luck). There are few sources for helpful info: Ken Craven's Complete Book of Motorcycle Touring (1977) is one and Adventure Cycling Asssoc. has a "Leadership School" and has developed curricula for training folks to take others on successful 2-wheel adventures.
Bottom line is - the 'leader' often takes on considerable organiztional tasks and, often, must continue to 'lead' / be instrumentally involved during the ride. When done successfully, the benefits can be many.
I heard one tour leader say that he wouldn't consider leading tours where the participants weren't already, previously, good friends.
I guess that sentiment addresses the risks involved?
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Recent Topics