Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 5 day bike trip through Baviaanskloof with 3 flats on same bike  (Read 484 times)

Offline Francois

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xcx
/>

Bike trip to through the World Heritage Site of the Baviaanskloof in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Interesting fact It is one of the richest plant regions in the world, it is less than 0.5% of the surface area of Africa but home to nearly 20% of the continents fauna and flora.

I have been through it before 2 x by 4x4 and once did the Trans Baviaans Mountain Bike race, you have 24 hours to complete 230km.

So for this trip we decided to do it on the bikes, 5 days.

Day 1: Cape town to Barrydale (250km with most of it tar)

Day 2: this was going to be a tough one Barrydale to Bakkrans (do the first bit into the Baviaanskloof) 435km with 388km on dirt
Got a puncture about 3 hours into the ride, was hoping to get to the nearest town George and get it fixed. Stopped a few times and inflated it, but then had to give in as it did not last and do my first tube replacement. With the replacement I had all the tools I need so it went ok, only when I had to put the axle in did the callipers slip and axle got stuck half way in and did not want to move. Had to find something long, wide and strong enough to knock it out. For some reason my friend carried a size 10 L-key in his tools for the GS. He not so mechanically orientated and just grabbed a bunch of tools to put on the GS, had no toll kit on bike. He has subsequently bough a very nice set of desert fox tools specific for the GS. I had to show him how to use the tools, the poor tool.
We were now running late and still had to stop in George to get some steak to braai for dinner. As we turned into the parking at the shopping centre the tyre pressure monitor was flashing low tyre pressure. Though we might have pinched the tube when we installed it, but did about 100km on it already. Turned out was a massive screw in the wheel. All the bike shops were closed as it was Saturday afternoon. Luckily I also had patches and patched the old tube and did the fix, lot quicker this time round. About 30min later the tyre monitor indicated tyre loosing pressure. We knew we cant try and fix it again and then go through the Baviaans kloof with only two damaged tubes, as there is no reception in the Baviaanskloof and the roads are a bit ruff. Turned back to George and called few bike shops, bought two heavy duty tubes and then another bike shop installed it. We now had about 210km to do of witch 100km was on dirt roads late at night. (Of that 210km about 190km was suppose to be on dirt but because we were running out of time decided to do tar)
We ended up getting to Bakkarans (not a town but a cave in the mountains where you camp in the cave) at 10:30. Must say riding on rough dirt roads in the dark with crappy lights gets the adrenalin going, also makes for great drinking stories. At least we could have a rum and coke under the start.

Day 3: Through the Baviaanskloof to Stormsrivier  - 235km with about 180km dirt
Was an amazing day through the Baviaanskloof, man it is sooo soooo beautiful.
Only real excitement was a few water crossings with big rocks you cant see and then one moerse rain storm the last 30km.
But we had some rum and coke with nice lamb chops for dinner.

Day 4: Stormsriver to Mosselbay -  257km with only 96km dirt
Although the dirt roads were less we still did some awesome road trough the plantations at Knysna.
Also an event free day, just some nice riding. The worst bit of the day was when we went for dinner to the worst restaurant ever, man the food was bad. But they had rum and coke.

Day 5: Mosselbay to Cape Town 450km with 225km dirt.
Also no issues and did some nice dirt roads.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:57:07 PM by Francois »

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
Re: 5 day bike trip through Baviaanskloof with 3 flats on same bike
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 09:47:09 AM »
Hi Francois
Another fantastic report and video. You and your mates are very, very lucky to be able to get out and do these trips; long may they continue.
Keep posting these reports, they really are very well done.
Cheers
Geoff
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Offline Francois

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xcx
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 09:55:57 AM »
Hi Geoff

Thanks, glad you enjoy them.
Yes we very lucky to have these amazing places we can visit.

Offline Whoa

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »
yes very lucky indeed, enjoyed video
Whoa

Offline RJVieira

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »
Congratulations on your trip... You shouldn't post this... now, I want to leave everything, and go  :008:

Great video  :123: Congratulations

Recent Topics