Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another Tiger 900 opinion  (Read 530 times)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Another Tiger 900 opinion
« on: July 26, 2020, 02:54:41 AM »
Took a 900 GT Pro out for a test ride today <looks at clock> er, yesterday. Drizzle started as I sat on it, turned into absolutely peeing it down soon afterwards. I'd been optimistic and gone with kevlar-lined jeans, so the test was only five miles or so, including some fairly empty dual carriageway.

First impressions - size was right, riding position was about what I'm used to. Large screen which is easy to ignore. Didn't like the clutch adjustment or the levers, but I've put aftermarket doglegs on all my bikes for some time now. Easy to use screen navigation. I rather like the idea of electronic suspension.

Second impressions - of course this is down to set-up, but the clutch was badly adjusted. After I'd worked out the bite point, good acceleration. Then, as I coasted up behind a queue of cars at a roundabout in 1st gear with the clutch in, it cut out. Still rolling, I pressed the starter (I like the integrated starter/kill switch, same as my T120) and it started up and didn't give any more  trouble.

When I remembered that there was a quickshifter, it worked well - not as smooth as the smoothest of clutch changes, but not objectionably jerky. But now was the time that I was going to open up the throttle. Up till now, the vibes had been OK. Once I took the revs over 5k, the vibration became intrusive. If this was going to be my only bike, I might have considered it OK, but I already have a bike that vibrates over 4k, and I would prefer my other bike to be smoother. So, having decided this was a deal breaker, I headed back. Then, a mile or so from home, a warning came up on the dash that the outside temperature was cold and I should beware of icy surfaces. On careful study, the thermometer said it was -30C. At a rough estimate, it was 45C hotter than that. After parking up and telling the staff at the dealer about the issue, and being a little worried about whether they'd believe me, it was somewhat of a relief to see that it still showed -18C when they switched the ignition back on.

Summary - pleasant enough seating position, the GT Pro has nice toys, screen seems pretty good, plenty of oomph, but if you think you might cruise at over 80mph, you'll get vibes. If Triumph come up with a 120 crank version, I'd be very very interested.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline penry

• Tiger Pro
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
Re: Another Tiger 900 opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 07:03:17 AM »
So not a  :152: then?

I took a brand new 800 XCA for a test ride last September, Zero miles registered by appt for me and they cautioned to keep the miles down unless I was definitely buying it.

I returned it a couple of hours or so later with 50+ on there and not a single negative to report.

Which is why its in my garage.
Absolute pleasure to ride.
Campsite Clouseau.

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 Plate XRt
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
If Triumph come up with a 120 crank version, I'd be very very interested.
:0461: Same here.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »
My primary purpose on what was always going to be a fairly cursory test ride was to see whether I should arrange to have a longer test ride, and a large factor in that was the vibration. I already have a Triumph with vibrations so I don't need another one. If I was using it for high days and holidays it wouldn't matter so much, but this would be my daily commuter doing 30 miles of fast road and 5 miles of urban traffic each way.

Mind you, they're selling like hot cakes, so Triumph have it right for a lot of people.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 07:30:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Mind you, they're selling like hot cakes, so Triumph have it right for a lot of people.

No they sell in UK, I checked Italy and France, France being the biggest 2W market in Europe,
Tiger 900 is not even in the 50 most sold bikes, while Yamaha sold 768 Tracer 900 and 635
Tenere 700 even BMW sold 416 F900XR, till may even with Covid.
I think this is because the Triumph are cheaper in UK and there are lots of distributors, also
maybe more brand loyalty being from your country.

For reference they sold 765 ST in the same period in france, which makes it number 9 in ranking,
number 50 has 285 units sold.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:10:28 PM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics