Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brembo vs EBC brake pads any advice  (Read 969 times)

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
Re: Brembo vs EBC brake pads any advice
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 11:47:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by suffolktiger [+]
I swapped mine today to EBC HH. Good improvement.

The stock pads were brembo, though I assume organic?

Biggest improvement I made to my brake was bleeding with the left callipers off, to get air out of the link. From factory the brake feel real spongy (as does the 900), but one I did this, made lever much firmer.

Did this again today, with new pads, its a noticeable improemfent in bit and power.

What do you mean by left calipers off???
can you please inform parts number of EBC HH front and rear for 2018-2019
thank you

also a tip after bleeding is is to tie back the lever over night for max results
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:49:00 AM by rantanplan »

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 05:55:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by rantanplan [+]
What do you mean by left calipers off???
can you please inform parts number of EBC HH front and rear for 2018-2019
thank you

also a tip after bleeding is is to tie back the lever over night for max results

The caliper on the left, I bleed with it unbolted  :492:
with a tyre lever to hold the pads apart, its roughlynsame size as disc

Look on EBC website for part numbers

Offline Pnb7914

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015 xcx
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 11:40:49 PM »
Whats the benefit of bleeding it off the disc when it seems youre just simulating it installed?

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 08:42:03 AM »
I think he omitted to say that he holds/ties/supports the caliper above mudguard level to basically form a straight brake line so any air bubbles rise up to the caliper and out. If you think about it the right caliper line is straight and any tiny bubbles should hopefully rise back up to the reservoir and out of the fluid (when unpressurised) but the left caliper line forms an upside down U over the mudguard and potentially small air bubbles could remain trapped in the upper part of the U as the bleeding fluid flows from the right caliper to the left caliper, to the detriment of braking performance.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 08:51:32 AM »
I'm puzzled, the double linkage is on the right hand caliper, so my brain says this one should be tied so that the linkage is above and "horizontal" so bubbles go from left through up !  :084:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:53:44 AM by Djairouks »

Online tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
If the l/h caliper is raised above mudguard level, that also straightens out the U so air wouldn't get trapped in either brake line. It makes sense, thinking about it.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 01:12:53 PM »
Received the Brembo pads, pretty happy it's exactly what I wanted, one interesting difference with
the OEM, the base plate is 0.7mm thinner and there's more wear material !

Just did a test ride, attack of the lever is more frank now, almost on par with my 4 pistons Yamaha
caliper feel, the the spongy feeling is gone, braking is so linear and predictable now , if I squeeze
the lever as before with OEM, the Tiger stops 5m shorter in city driving.
Difficult to say if the brake power is higher, because with the spongy feeling gone I don't need to
pull the lever as much as before, it'll definitely be a blessing for 2up riding and the attack to me is
just right on an ADV, too much can be bad with long tavel suspensions !

BTW I checked the muddysump video, I was surprised no grease on the pads retaining pin, you
guys don't put grease for rust protection and easier sliding !?

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
I put a bit of graphite on the pins but nothing elsewhere.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 07:35:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Received the Brembo pads, pretty happy it's exactly what I wanted, one interesting difference with
the OEM, the base plate is 0.7mm thinner and there's more wear material !

Just did a test ride, attack of the lever is more frank now, almost on par with my 4 pistons Yamaha
caliper feel, the the spongy feeling is gone, braking is so linear and predictable now , if I squeeze
the lever as before with OEM, the Tiger stops 5m shorter in city driving.
Difficult to say if the brake power is higher, because with the spongy feeling gone I don't need to
pull the lever as much as before, it'll definitely be a blessing for 2up riding and the attack to me is
just right on an ADV, too much can be bad with long tavel suspensions !

BTW I checked the muddysump video, I was surprised no grease on the pads retaining pin, you
guys don't put grease for rust protection and easier sliding !?

The EBC pads have a thinner backing too,  does it help with cooling?
 Ill do a little write up on what I did to answer questions re bleeding etc, just need to insert a picture.  Im sure there are other ways of doing it but fundamentally a motorcycle MC of this size doesnt push much fluid, so it can be tricky to get all the air out.  Mine had air from factory and Ive ridden a few others with equally spongy brakes, including the ones at the off road centre.  I presume it cussed by the loop over the mudguard.

Anyway, they feel loads better after just a proper bleed. Let alone new pads. Cheap and easy

Offline Archie750

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 19 Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by suffolktiger [+]

The caliper on the left, I bleed with it unbolted  :492:
with a tyre lever to hold the pads apart, its roughlynsame size as disc

Look on EBC website for part numbers
Like you I have a 3rd Gen (2018-2020) Tiger 800 XCA, with upgraded Brembo calipers, but the EBC website only specifies double sintered pads for 2015 models, which presumably suit all 2nd Gen models. So do those (FA226 HH) still fit the 3rd Gen calipers?
Thanks,
Nick
Tiger 800 XCA & Honda 750FL.
Previous bikes: Sprint ST 1050 (red), Sprint ST 1050 (graphite), Honda 750 F1, BSA C15, Lambretta LI 150 :001:

Recent Topics