Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 800 XRt cranking issue  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Lt.Jaybo

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2017 800 XRt
800 XRt cranking issue
« on: July 28, 2020, 09:14:55 PM »
I have a practically new 2017 800 XRt.  Had it less than a year and has around 900 miles on it.  I dont ride it enough, so I got it out last week for a quick jaunt.  Bike cranked on first try in under 1 second.  Rode about 20 miles just to blow the dust off.  It was hot.  Around 100 Fahrenheit (38celcius).  When i got home I parked the bike and switched it off so I could open the gate to my property.  When I remounted, it would not crank.  The motor turned over once, then nothing.  I tried again, and the same.  I walked up the driveway stripping gloves, jacket and helmet, thinking I was going to have to push the bike the last 200 meters.  When I got back to the bike, maybe 3 minutes later, I decided to try to crank it one more time. (Did I mention it was hot outside?) The Bike cranked like new!!!!  I rode it up the driveway, parked it and got off.  Then tried to crank it again.  Motor turned over once then nothing.  I let it sit for about 3 minutes, and it cranked like a new bike!!!  Cranks on first try every day this week, but I have not ridden it since.  Any ideas why it did that?  I checked battery connections, and they seemed tight.  Battery seems strong when I turn on fog lamps.......What should I check. 
2017 Tiger 800 XRt
2018 Yamaha XT 250
2019 Yamaha XT 250
2010 Kawasaki Teryx 700

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
Re: 800 XRt cranking issue
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:21:24 PM »
First thing to check is the battery with a load tester to make sure the battery is fully charged. I'm sure others here will have other suggestions.

Chico

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:54:47 PM »
You will find plenty of reading material on this forum on the subject of starting problems when hot. Many times the cause has been worn/dirty brushes in the starter motor. But...you bike is too new for that. Like you, some riders have experienced a no-start in high temperatures. It seems to be a characteristic of the model. Another possible cause on new bikes is vapor lock when hot. But no one has found an accurate cause. It would be a good idea to put your battery on an overnight charge if it has been sitting. These hot starter motors need all the current you can muster.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 06:06:36 AM »
did you let the bike run thru all the diagnostics after ignition on and before cranking?

that seems to have been the cause of my starting problems previously - which have not recurred since
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]
did you let the bike run thru all the diagnostics after ignition on and before cranking?

that seems to have been the cause of my starting problems previously - which have not recurred since

Agree. If you don't let the little computer do its thing the bike gets all hissy about it and won't start.
Been there, done that more than once.

Offline Lt.Jaybo

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2017 800 XRt
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 05:08:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]

Yup.  Always........
2017 Tiger 800 XRt
2018 Yamaha XT 250
2019 Yamaha XT 250
2010 Kawasaki Teryx 700

Recent Topics

winded-staunch