Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Powerbronze - Bad Luck or Bad Products?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Griff The Riff

• Tiger Member
  • Its all about the journey
  • Bike: 2011 XC
Powerbronze - Bad Luck or Bad Products?
« on: August 02, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »
Bits for bikes are not cheap to buy, and it feels like makers pray on our need to personalise.  I get that price comes down with mass production and compared to the Ford Fiesta, bikes are not mass produced. 

So, OK I get the price, but where I struggle is quality.  In my cross hairs today is Powerbronze.  I have a 2012 Triumph Explorer and 2011 Tiger 800xc.  Both had Powerbronze huggers.  The Explorer hugger lasted a year before all the coating came off and it rusted through.  The 800 hugger was no better.  It hit the read frame, which wore a chunk out of the side and eventually split at the mounting points.  Oh and the same was true for my mates bike. 

These are not cheap to buy but the build quality is cheap and nasty in my experience.  Am I just unlucky or does Powerbronze deserve a second chance?  Is there a better manufacturer for add ons?

David

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
Re: Powerbronze - Bad Luck or Bad Products?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 12:41:15 PM »
If they only lasted a year then did you contact Powerbronze with the issues ?

Might be wrong but I think the products on sale now are revised from what was available back then.
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Online fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 03:47:16 PM »
Huggers are generally a complete waste of time. Not to mention if something gets between it and the wheel it could jam or just rip it off.

Offline norboy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2019 XRt
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 04:36:48 PM »
Ive been looking for a hugger for my XRt.

I met a chum of mine yesterday who rides his XRx every day to and from work, all weathers etc. Hes done 10,000+ miles and has had a skidmarx hugger from new with no problems. He said it does not foul the underside of the battery box. I had a good look at the hugger and the mountings in particular to see if there appeared to be any cracking or marks. All appeared to be ok. He did mention he did not carry a pillion at all.

Im not sure whether my chum has just been lucky, but the above has been his experience to date.

Offline Dandy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XCX 2019
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »
Had a Pyramid hugger on a previous Tiger also poor quality, fixing snapped after a while. :023:

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:16:30 PM »
I had a Powerbronze screen for a while, no issues with it TBH

I also had a Pyramid hugger
Lasted 5 years (the whole time i had the bike) and did a reasonable job  :001:
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline louthtiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 07:34:58 AM »
I had a Pyramid hugger on a previous Tiger, it looked good but the fixing holes wore and split after 18 months, i was give a 50% discount on a replacement, but sold it on E bay. They said they had strengthened the fixing holes but they looked the same to me. Its a pity as they do look good. 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »
Identical topic posted on the Explorer forum.... hmm

As mentioned there, the 2011 T800 was bought secondhand less than a year ago so how can this be included ... :084:

You've also not responded to my question asking if you've contacted PB over the issue as you say it failed after a year.

Got photos ?

Starting to smell of a troll posting  :151:
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline geordielad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 08:21:27 AM »
I recently purchased a Pyramid Shock Shield for my XRT and was so disgusted with the quality (design and materials used) sent it straight back for a refund.
Hey, I don't mind paying for quality, but a cheap and nasty piece of flimsy moulded plastic for 31 - forget it.
Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer!

Offline Griff The Riff

• Tiger Member
  • Its all about the journey
  • Bike: 2011 XC
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:06:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
If they only lasted a year then did you contact Powerbronze with the issues ?

Might be wrong but I think the products on sale now are revised from what was available back then.

The 1200 hugger lasted a year and no i didn't go back to PB, lost the receipt somewhere between the NEC and home  :161: I have never been good with such things.  As for the 800 hugger, I bought the bike with it on so don't know how old it is.

David

Recent Topics

winded-staunch