Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Triumph alarm dashboard led  (Read 491 times)

Offline primeacorn

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
OEM Triumph alarm dashboard led
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:03:11 AM »
So the led in the instrument cluster has stopped flashing completely, Ive got a 2014 Tiger 800 ABS. The alarm still works and theres a voltage at pins 10 & 11 to the instrument cluster led on connector 39 (factory alarm harness to alarm module, under passengers seat). I want to continue my troubleshooting upstream towards the instrument cluster but will need to disconnect connector 39. Will this cause an issue with the alarm? Because I dont have the led anymore I wont (easily) be able to enter into the alarm settings to enter the pin if it needs it.

What are peoples thoughts? No, I dont want to rip out the factory alarm and replace it - it works well in (almost) every other capacity!  :028:

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: OEM Triumph alarm dashboard led
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 08:40:13 AM »
If you're sure the led has stopped flashing and you didn't just look at the display when the led had switched off, as it does, I would look at the instrument pcb for obvious damage and a check of the actual led.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
The alarm also bleeps for PIN entry, so you don't need to rely on the LED. Not quite as easy as with the LED but should still be feasible to do it. And if your alarm fob has a good battery in it, you shouldn't need to use the PIN anyway.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline primeacorn

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:40:42 AM »
Okay - so what should I expect to happen if I disconnect the connector 39?

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 04:00:07 PM »
At a guess, the alarm will go off. However, if you set it to winter mode first, it won't.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 04:03:51 PM »
Bike won't start without the alarm or blanking plug plugged in.
As Tauzero says, alarm will go off due to being disconnected from the bike's battery unless you put it into 'winter' mode by holding both buttons on the remote until the alarm chirps.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 11:28:02 PM »
I don't have the OEM alarm, so I may not fully understand you problem, but it would seem to me if you replace the alarm with the dummy plug as found in the non-alarm version you can proceed. Some one can double check this, but from memory the dummy plug just connects pins 1 to 2, and also seperately  connects pins 3 to 5 on the Black connector under the seat.
Then, when the ignition is switched off, the red led on the dash should blink for 24 hours if the blanking connections are made.
That would be your starting point to troubleshoot the red led indicator.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:32:09 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline primeacorn

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback - Ive seen some things about the blanking plug, and youre right on the connections it bridges. Interestingly, the bridges dont connect (as far as I can see on the workshop manual wiring diagram) the led for the alarm led in the instrument cluster  :187:   However this solution would still need to disconnect plug 39. I think basically Ill need to just bite the bullet and give it a go!

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 10:48:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by primeacorn [+]
...Interestingly, the bridges dont connect (as far as I can see on the workshop manual wiring diagram) the led for the alarm led in the instrument cluster...

Pins 10 & 11 on the alarm connector go to pins 2 & 3 on the instruments. If the alarm is connected & working then it controls the LED according to the alarm manual. If it's not connected then the LED is under the control of the instruments' CPU and will flash on/off for 24hrs after the ignition is turned off.

If you can disconnect just the LED wires between the alarm connector and the instruments you'll know whether the LED on the instruments PCB has died, which at this stage seems likely.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline primeacorn

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »
That makes very logical sense - thanks! Ill start up the front then on my next round of troubleshooting. Do you know the type of led Triumph uses in the instrument cluster? A typical miniature dome type or an SMD perhaps?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch