Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike loosing power and stalling  (Read 591 times)

Offline Sumit90210

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Bike loosing power and stalling
« on: August 09, 2020, 04:05:15 AM »
Hi all,
Need advise on the following Problem that I have been facing on my bike.
During my last two three rides I noticed that the bike was loosing power intermittently (for a second or so) and then regaining it back while I was on high speeds.
Finally the bike stalled completely with the traction control and engine error light glowing. Frustrating part, I got the bike towed and when I reached the dealer the bike started as if nothing had happened. The technicians seem clueless since as per them they ve handled the error code related to TC. This happened in early July.
Since then it has happened three times wherein the technician has changed some sensor and when I hit the highway, I get stranded with a stalled bike and the Story repeats. Last time he changed the ABS sensor.
 I ride a 2016 Tiger XRx amd the starter motor was replaced last year by the previous owner.
Any help in this regard is welcome. Am
Just hoping this ordeal ends soon. Quite frustrating to say the least as am tired of this hit n trial method.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:11:08 AM by Sumit90210 »

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Bike loosing power and stalling
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:04:30 AM »
Do you have any idea what the stored DTCs were?

You would probably be better off buying an interface cable and doing some troubleshooting yourself before going back to the dealer
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
this post might not help much as I never found the solution.

Mine has stalled a couple of times when it is really hot and then fired up as though nothing was wrong a few minutes later. I posted about it at the time in this thread.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24436.msg272625.html#msg272625

The only fault I've ever found that might explain it is cracked insulation on the coils, I've replaced 2 coils for the same fault.  Fortunately, the UK climate doesn't give us too many hot days to make this fault happen on a regular basis.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
Hi and :401:

Go to this link and you will see how to read the basic fault codes without any equipment (it possibly won't show all the codes that Tigertool could show) and this may help the guys here help you:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,14967.0.html

The other simple check I would do is get a multimeter and check the battery voltage with the engine not running (around 12v) and then again with the engine running (around 14v) as a faulty rectifier/regulator (and overcharging, I had 19v at idle and multiple fault lights) can often cause strange faults.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 11:04:35 AM »
Sometimes these problems can be caused by simple fundamental reasons. I've seen this happen when the battery cable was not tightened enough at the terminal. Another time the kill switch was actuated by a loose sidestand. Or, dirty contacts in the kill switch. Look for basic things that come loose and basic enough to shut down everything, e.g. the battery.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Sumit90210

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »
Thanks for the valuable inputs guys. Since the bike is with the dealer (again!), I ll try and manage some snapshots of the error codes being flashed. As per them, the bike is behaving normally with all BITE etc working fine and nil errors. Problems surface only when it hits the road...😔

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
See reply #4 ^^^ -- I was troubled with intermittent stalling for a month or so. Since the engine would re-start and run normally after sitting briefly it took me a while to diagnose the problem.
It finally didn't re-start one day and I had to fix it.
My problem was a not sufficiently attached electrical plug at the fuel pump connector under the gas tank -- attached but not "clicked in". If the electrical connector can be pulled off without releasing the catch it is not fully connected.
In my case the fuel pump would work until the electrical connection was temporarily lost -- but, would work again once electrical contact was made. These types of faults are called "intermittents".
My bike has been fine for many thousands of miles since the discovery and fix (a properly connected fuel pump).
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Sumit90210

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:47:33 AM »
Thanks. Took out time Sunday afternoon and paid a visit to the dealer. The bike has been opened up and entire wiring/cabling etc was being checked. At least these guys are giving time to my bike. One thing which I noticed is that my bike has YUASA 14 BS whereas it should have YUASA 16 BS. Maybe the previous owner goofed up in replacing the battery. Since the bike was standing for a long time during the three month Lockdown here. Have told the technician to change the battery in addition to trying out all what you guys have suggested. They re also planning on changing the RBW and rechecking again. Not sure how much that ll set me back by 😕. Anyways, Hoping for the best. Just need my ride asap

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 05:30:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sumit90210 [+]
One thing which I noticed is that my bike has YUASA 14 BS whereas it should have YUASA 16 BS.

The only difference is in the CCA with the 16BS battery being slightly higher. CCA is only relevant during cold starts and is based on the ambient temp being 0 degrees F which I assume in most of India is very rare. CCA has no influence what so ever on the issue you are having.

Offline Sumit90210

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »
Thanks, but in this situation, I ve still directed them to give it a shot.
Lets ser

Recent Topics

winded-staunch