Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Optimate 4 Triumph Charger - Advice needed  (Read 761 times)

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Low
Re: Optimate 4 Triumph Charger - Advice needed
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 05:52:38 PM »
If you have a TomTom fitting(the mount, not the actual gps)I have found these will drain the battery. Doubt that applies to you. Also some permanently installed trackers will also do this.

An advantage of a permanent lead from battery is you can also use it to power such things as heated clothing.

Of course the battery may need to be replaced....

Offline krisdl

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRT
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 12:36:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grumps [+]
That BMW kit has the red plug that goes into the socket next to your ignition switch. You must remeber to program the charger to normal charging, not canbus. It's in the instructions. Easy.

The other fittting shown is a set of croc clips that you attach directly to the battery. There are available fittings with round terminals on that you permanently attach to your battery and use the swappable connectors to connect to.

By far the easiest is the BMW plug into the power socket. I would not do anything else in your situation.

Thank you Grumps, that was exactly the advice I was looking for!
Nothing worth anything in this world is easy and anything worth something is worth working hard at.

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 02:09:39 PM »
I use this on my Tiger, it tucks up under the seat when not in use so stays dry, also I bought the 4.5m extension sae lead which means I can charge the battery when the bikes outside leaving the charger inside

Offline krisdl

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRT
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 03:37:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by crispey [+]
I use this on my Tiger, it tucks up under the seat when not in use so stays dry, also I bought the 4.5m extension sae lead which means I can charge the battery when the bikes outside leaving the charger inside

Please excuse my noobness.  When fitting this cable if you have a Datatool S4 factory fitted alarm does this set it off or interfere with the alarm at all or is it fine?
Nothing worth anything in this world is easy and anything worth something is worth working hard at.

Online tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 06:48:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by krisdl [+]
Please excuse my noobness.  When fitting this cable if you have a Datatool S4 factory fitted alarm does this set it off or interfere with the alarm at all or is it fine?

If you disconnect the battery, the alarm will go off. If you set the alarm in winter mode first, it won't.

I've got CTek chargers which I use on the Tiger and the Bonnie. The Tiger's extension socket is fine and I put the charger through that, but the auxiliary socket I have fitted on the Bonnie seems reluctant to hold the plug in reliably so I've got a permanent connection to the battery for that.

Satnav docks will only drain the battery if they're wired in always-on, rather than to a switched power supply (TomTom tell you to wire to a switched supply).
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
If you disconnect the battery, the alarm will go off. If you set the alarm in winter mode first, it won't.

I've got CTek chargers which I use on the Tiger and the Bonnie. The Tiger's extension socket is fine and I put the charger through that, but the auxiliary socket I have fitted on the Bonnie seems reluctant to hold the plug in reliably so I've got a permanent connection to the battery for that.

Satnav docks will only drain the battery if they're wired in always-on, rather than to a switched power supply (TomTom tell you to wire to a switched supply).
As he said! Chuck it in winter mode, if you havent got the instruction book its easy to find online, and easy to do

Recent Topics

winded-staunch