Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2011 XC front forks  (Read 523 times)

Offline fairwaysflyer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
2011 XC front forks
« on: August 13, 2020, 07:05:37 AM »
Has anyone on here repacked the fork seals and bushes on a 2011 XC?
I have had movement in the forks for a while and now one of my fork seals has gone
I have watched a couple of videos on YouTube and read the Haynes manual
Is it necessary to have the special tool to release the spring?
Cant really see on the videos
Cheers

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
Re: 2011 XC front forks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 09:43:45 PM »
Hi
I have replaced the for seals on a few bikes and completely stripped down Fireblades forks and re built them. It really is not that hard if you take your time. I even used to use the plastic pipe mod to fit the seals before I bought a tool for the job and it works well. ( the mod is on Del Boys garage on you tube)  Go on YouTube and look up bel boys garage fork seal change that should help you a lot. Ps I have never needed a tool to release the spring on the bikes I have done.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 09:48:25 PM by ENGLISHBANDIT »
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline blacktiger

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger800XC owner since June 6th 2011
  • Bike: Tiger800XC
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 08:00:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by fairwaysflyer [+]
Has anyone on here repacked the fork seals and bushes on a 2011 XC?
I have had movement in the forks for a while and now one of my fork seals has gone

Some movement in the bushes is normal. I thought like you and bought new bushes and seals. Replaced everything and it ended up exactly the same as it was before I started.
It's all pretty easy to disassemble. You don't need any special tools. The top nut on the XC isn't under very much pressure so you can just lean on the spring a little and undo it. The rest is the same as "right way up" forks.
The best recommendation I can give you is:- while you're doing the seal, spend out for some decent internals. I went for Maxton because, at the time, 2013, they were the only one's offering what I wanted. There are lots of other options now.
Black '13 Tiger800XC. The other British Land Rover. 31000 miles and counting.
Previous Tigers were 2002 955i & 2011 800XC

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 09:49:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by ENGLISHBANDIT [+]
Hi
I have replaced the for seals on a few bikes and completely stripped down Fireblades forks and re built them. It really is not that hard if you take your time. I even used to use the plastic pipe mod to fit the seals before I bought a tool for the job and it works well. ( the mod is on Del Boys garage on you tube)  Go on YouTube and look up bel boys garage fork seal change that should help you a lot. Ps I have never needed a tool to release the spring on the bikes I have done.
+1 I used Del Boy's technique on my roadie and it worked just fine. That was about 9000 miles ago so I feel good about it.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 08:23:47 PM »
Del Boys plastic pipe tool mod I used about 4 times before I bought a proper tool for the job. To be honest I still have the W pipes in my tool box just in case, as it worked that well.
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Recent Topics

winded-staunch