Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre choice  (Read 2842 times)

Offline OzzieTiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2019
Re: Tyre choice
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »
Thanks guys that's what I wanted to hear, but will stick to road tyres.

I don't think I've never had any tyre on any bike I've owned in 45 years last more than around 8,500kms, so I'll stick with the 100% road tyres I think :)

cheers
AussieTiger :028:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by OzzieTiger [+]
... I will definitely go that route with the 110/80 x 19. How exactly is it an improvement handling wise.

.... as already said and better because you are going from 'bias front / radial rear' to matching 'radial front / radial rear'.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline OzzieTiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2020, 08:28:48 AM »
Thanks Stevie.P

Today I've ordered a set of Metzeler Racetec 01's with the recommended change in front tyre size.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions those who made them  :015:

cheers
OzzieTiger :017:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2020, 03:33:07 PM »
Today I've ordered a set of Metzeler Racetec 01's with the recommended change in front tyre size.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions those who made them  :015:

:005:  :110: ..... we were all only joking ....     ....     ....   :008: let us know what you think, fairly certain you won't regret it. I'm already on 110/80 front straight after OEM tyres worn out and currently Michelin Road 5 but fancy trying the 01's next as they get good feedback here on forum. :028:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
:005:  :110: ..... we were all only joking ....     ....     ....   :008: let us know what you think, fairly certain you won't regret it. I'm already on 110/80 front straight after OEM tyres worn out and currently Michelin Road 5 but fancy trying the 01's next as they get good feedback here on forum. :028:

I've got 4,000 miles on my 01's and love them. How are the Road 5's for you?

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »
My mechanic down the road who is serving all my bikes is a "rubber whisperer", over the past 8 sets of tyres he always recommended the pilots, first series 4 and then series 5. Worked well with me
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2020, 09:55:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tallpaul [+]
How are the Road 5's for you?

More than capable of taking my 100% road riding ability and give great confidence in the wet. I had their predecessor Pilot Road 4's before the 5's. Both 4 and 5 quite noisey relative to type of road surface though, from quiet on new smooth tarmac to very noisey on those rough concrete roads.
They really played their part at last year's Megameet regarding leaning over .... Saturday twisting around the Lakes and Sunday fast twisty stuff across to Alston in the North Pennines then south down through the Yorkshire Dales to the Ribble Valley viaduct.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,26162.20.html

One of the main reasons I'll probably try the 01's next is to see if they are quieter, grip feedback appears to be as good as the R5's.

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2020, 08:39:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
More than capable of taking my 100% road riding ability and give great confidence in the wet. I had their predecessor Pilot Road 4's before the 5's. Both 4 and 5 quite noisey relative to type of road surface though, from quiet on new smooth tarmac to very noisey on those rough concrete roads.
They really played their part at last year's Megameet regarding leaning over .... Saturday twisting around the Lakes and Sunday fast twisty stuff across to Alston in the North Pennines then south down through the Yorkshire Dales to the Ribble Valley viaduct.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,26162.20.html

One of the main reasons I'll probably try the 01's next is to see if they are quieter, grip feedback appears to be as good as the R5's.

Thanks for that, I'm considering a pair of 5's for my Scotland adventure in 3 weeks.

Offline OzzieTiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2020, 06:36:35 AM »
Ok Update first ride out (about 5 hours in the local hills) on the Tiger 800 XRT with the new Metzeler Roadtec 01's....and.................................................

I love these things  :001: :152:, wow what a handling improvement! I was scraping both pegs within the first 45 minutes! They have a very nice feeling whether they are steep technical hair pins or fast sweepers.
And gobs of grip.

When we get some rain I'll let you know how they go in the hills in the wet.

cheers
OzzieTiger

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2020, 07:58:50 AM »
Ok Update first ride out (about 5 hours in the local hills) on the Tiger 800 XRT with the new Metzeler Roadtec 01's....and.................................................

I love these things  :001: :152:, wow what a handling improvement! I was scraping both pegs within the first 45 minutes! They have a very nice feeling whether they are steep technical hair pins or fast sweepers.
And gobs of grip.

When we get some rain I'll let you know how they go in the hills in the wet.

cheers
OzzieTiger

you will be very happy with the 01's wet performance
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Recent Topics

winded-staunch