Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: intermittent Start Failure  (Read 1567 times)

Stevie.P, snowblue, SeamusW, Tallpaul and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Texas1200SE

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
Re: intermittent Start Failure
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 12:54:28 AM »
FYI.  My Trophy 1200 SE is in the shop right now for an ignition wiring recall that covers some wire chafing underneath the ignition switch, BUT, I have emailed Triumph USA on two different occasions about my Trophy's failure to start AND going completely dead at speed on the road, at times even with the cruise control set.  All gauges working, full power everywhere, but not even a starter relay click.  I initially had found after trying to troubleshoot all the interlocks that I could slowly turn the wheel left to about 10:30 or right to about 1:30 and it would fire right up.  It finally quit doing even that and troubleshooting revealed 12V in and out of the start switch but no voltage at the switch side of the starter relay.  I'm not the only Trophy owner that has had the go dead at speed issue and the dealer is suspecting the ignition switch itself after their troubleshooting hasn't revealed any other cause.  A few Trophy owners have had their ignition switches replaced outside of warranty for failure to start as a good will gesture, but the going dead at speed issue is a genuine safety problem if on a major highway here in the US with the way traffic tends to follow closely.  I'm hoping the dealer gets some help from Triumph USA.  If not I may have to resort to appealing to Hinckley to see about some help on it.  Not really looking forward to two different keys for ignition, accessories and fuel tank, but oh well.  One Trophy owner did get all his lock cylinders replaced, but others not so lucky.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 03:10:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Texas1200SE [+]
FYI.  My Trophy 1200 SE is in the shop right now for an ignition wiring recall that covers some wire chafing underneath the ignition switch, BUT, I have emailed Triumph USA on two different occasions about my Trophy's failure to start AND going completely dead at speed on the road, at times even with the cruise control set.

Maybe this will help

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/triumph-motorcycle-company-ltd-triumph-tiger-explorer-and-trophy-model-ecm-replacement

Offline Texas1200SE

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
Thank you for that.  I don't think anyone on the 1200 SE forum realizes that this existed.  I sent the dealer here the link so that he can make the Triumph USA operation aware of it for my case and any others that may be out there.  :028:

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »
Thank you for that.  I don't think anyone on the 1200 SE forum realizes that this existed.  I sent the dealer here the link so that he can make the Triumph USA operation aware of it for my case and any others that may be out there.  :028:

I find it difficult to believe Triumph USA or the dealer claim ignorance. It took me 30 seconds to find the recall on the NHTSA website.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/TRIUMPH/TROPHY#recalls

Offline Texas1200SE

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 12:03:07 AM »
I've sent the links for both of those recalls.  Mfr dates through December 2013, but I'm guessing they don't want to run the risk of denying an issue that comes up for one after that date, but mine should fall into the time frame.  My problem is I got mine scheduled in quite a while ago because I have this Trophy forum group of riders trip to North Carolina which I need to depart for on September 3rd.  All the Dealers were so booked up with service because of the virus thing there was a long wait period to get in.  I guess people that couldn't take trips they planned decided to get all their service done while they sat at home.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2020, 12:17:35 AM »
I've sent the links for both of those recalls.  Mfr dates through December 2013, but I'm guessing they don't want to run the risk of denying an issue that comes up for one after that date, but mine should fall into the time frame.

From what I saw on the NHTSA web site it looks like you can put your VIN into the search box and it will let you know specifically what recalls apply. Could be worth a try, as I said I only had a very quick look and did not really do any searching.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:31:38 AM by K1W1 »

Offline Texas1200SE

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »
The only recall on mine is the worldwide ignition switch wiring recall.  It's at the dealer now and Triumph USA has offered the dealer no support for replacing the switch as warranty and informed them they would have to apply for a "good will" replacement which takes some time apparently to get approved. Switch is their only suspected culprit from their troubleshooting.  Got a call from them yesterday and they have filed a request for a "good will" replacement switch but have not received a reply.  I have a trip cross country planned leaving on Sept. 3, so if no response by Monday they are going to just buy (1 of the 2 in stock in the USA) a switch and replace it so I can get the bike back in time.  I thought about getting Hinckley involved but over on the Trophy 1200SE forum when that has been attempted the party was referred back to Triumph USA for resolution.  Hope this solves it. If it doesn't I guess my only recourse would be NHTSA.  Thanks for the help. :031:

Offline gryan39

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Triumph tiger800
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »
This is what I was looking for. My tiger 800 13 plate is doing the not wanting start sometimes. Going through the motions then nothing when press starter. Turn off. Turn on few times seems sort it for now.   Also cut out on me once when driving but thankfully not done that again. 

Online SeamusW

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRX
« Reply #28 on: Today at 05:55:38 PM »
Also had trouble getting my 2018 XRX this morning.  Eventually started with a little throttle and seems to start up again ok now.  I opened up the gas tank and I can see some white connectors and blue wires in there.  I dont remember seeing this before - has the sensor or something come loose and is floating around?  Sorry for the pic quality but its a rather small hole.  Maybe its always been that way and Ive just never noticed ;)

Recent Topics