Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 GT Pro test ride  (Read 1153 times)

Offline matt748

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRX
Tiger 900 GT Pro test ride
« on: August 16, 2020, 02:43:05 PM »
Good afternoon,
I've had a short 1.5hr test ride this morning on the 900 after reading so much about it. Terrible weather, but I'll keep my points brief. Just my opinion after all, but it may be useful to someone.
For info, my current bike is a 2015 800XRX which I've had for 2.5years.

In no particular order:

Screen: in its highest position, buffeting was minimal but much noisier than my Madstad setup. Easy to adjust.
Mirrors: similar to my 800, but much clearer (mine vibrate at cruising speed).
Display: lots of options to choose from, and easy to do using the toggle. Couldn't find a rev counter setup that I was happy with (hard to read). A 'fake' needle style would be much better.
Switchgear: no issues, all feel fine.
Heated grips: 3 settings, the hottest being hot enough but I'd say feel like my Oxfords on 70% heat. Nicely integrated though.
Heated seats: 3 settings, work well in conditions like today.
Brakes: very, very good. More bite than mine, and more progressive power.
Clutch: nice and light.
Quickshifter: slightly clunky at certain revs, slick at others. Not convinced, but more time on the bike would help.
Suspension / ride: I rode it in Rain, Road and Sport. You can feel a difference on the shock, and the ride. Very comfortable bike to ride.
Looks: LED lights are OK, but I'm not convinced on the front. At the rear, it's a shame the signature vertical stripe lights have gone.
Exhaust: For a stock exhaust, it actually sounds pretty good.
Engine: The biggest difference for me. Low down, it reminded me more of my Ducati 748 twin, higher up more like my T800. The best of both? Not sure. It is more vibey for sure, particularly low down (riding home straight away on mine highlighted how much smoother mine is in comparison). But the way it fires out of the corners is really, really addictive! You can definitely feel the increased torque.

Overall, would I upgrade? Possibly....Though I'd want a couple more hours to experiment with the vibes. But there's a hell of a lot to like, and in this spec it's got a lot of kit for the money. My dealer can't get any until next March though  :114:
Anyway, thanks for reading. Just my opinion.

Short video (flattens out the hill, but a good example of the torque on the hairpins. I also tried accelerating from 30mph in 6th):
/>

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800 Xcx 2016
Re: Tiger 900 GT Pro test ride
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 03:46:40 PM »
 :046: :152:

Offline Whoa

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks, good report, seems to be a issue with the vibes, get rid of them and it would be spot on
Whoa

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 05:57:03 PM »
I ride a 900 GT PRO nearly 1k miles on clock,  once you learn to navigate around the TFT display its easy, I have noticed the vibes at high revs but its really no big deal. It is a lot of bike for the money and hope to do a few camping trips.
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 06:27:00 PM »
I have an unrelated question. I noticed on the vid that most cars didn't have the lights on. Is it not mandatory in the UK to have lights on when it's raining?

Chico

Offline matt748

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 06:50:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
I have an unrelated question. I noticed on the vid that most cars didn't have the lights on. Is it not mandatory in the UK to have lights on when it's raining?

Chico

Common sense isnt that common. Also, the always lit dashboard and auto lights con people into thinking that the car will sort everything.
When I teach, I explain that auto lights dont work for all conditions when youd want them. So I use the phrase wipers on, lights on.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 07:33:49 PM »
You'd think cars would have the same rules as bikes these days, turn the engine on and the lights are always on.

It's quite amazing how many times you see drivers with no lights on when it's dull or dark.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
Seems like a no brainer. You would think that most drivers would want to be seen when there is low visibility conditions, but then one shouldn't assume that most drivers give much thought :125: to safety while listening to the stereo or texting :005:
I don't know about  the rest of the US states but in NY it's mandatory, as matt748 said, wipers on lights on.

Chico

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 07:55:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]
You'd think cars would have the same rules as bikes these days, turn the engine on and the lights are always on.

It's quite amazing how many times you see drivers with no lights on when it's dull or dark.

Even in Switzerland these days, I noticed the same thing, it makes me very nervous, it's really not smart.
It got also mandatory since 2 years and you can get fined.

Offline penry

• Tiger Pro
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by matt748 [+]
Common sense isnt that common.
When I teach, I explain that auto lights dont work for all conditions when youd want them. So I use the phrase wipers on, lights on.
Hendon trained ?
Campsite Clouseau.

Recent Topics