Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Self Service  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Self Service
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
Didnt the OP say it took him 6 hours?

If it takes a dealer mechanic 3 hrs for a 6k mile service, it could easy take a first time diy jobber double.

Does a quick diy job get done to the spec sheet or is it just a bit of routine maintenance. Brake calipers can get in a horrible mess if left for 6k miles through a UK winter. Then a strip down to balance the throttle bodies. All the minor jobs & checks, clean and check links on a gunged up chain, clean out front sprocket area.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
If it takes a dealer mechanic 3 hrs for a 6k mile service, it could easy take a first time diy jobber double.

Does a quick diy job get done to the spec sheet or is it just a bit of routine maintenance. Brake calipers can get in a horrible mess if left for 6k miles through a UK winter. Then a strip down to balance the throttle bodies. All the minor jobs & checks, clean and check links on a gunged up chain, clean out front sprocket area.

Totally agree. My remark was directed at the comments that its less than an hours work. A service done properly takes time. I was in the Dealership while my Rally Pro had its first service. Sure it got an oil change but the mechanic took every bit of 2.5 hours to do everything, including diagnostic check, and full safety check including checking every single spoke and adjusting several. Anyone who thinks theyre being ripped off should take the time to one done properly. If your being charged for things not done then you have legitimate gripe.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
The reason I said an hour (or so) is my bikes are looked after well so things like the brake calipers and to be honest the hole bike is checked over every time I come back from a ride. Bike is washed , dried , polished , chain lubed after every ride with wurth dry chain lub and things are looked at and checked. all my bikes are in mint condition. But yes you are right you do get some bikes that have never seen a wash or ridden in all weathers and just put away with no checking or maintenance in between services then yes you will come across some problems. I forget some times people do not do checks or clean there bikes between services the way I do. For me popping the calipers off and just giving them a check and clean is just the norm. always change my pads before they need doing, ie if getting just a tad low I just replace them. I am a bit anal when it comes to my bikes. Even replaced the clutch in my FZ1 just because I could feel a very slight delay when releasing it, and I mean slight. So ordered a full OEM clutch set and replaced it. Things like the wheels are removed every year normally the start and end of a season everything is checked greased adjusted if needed and so on. If I am going to be riding a bike at high speeds or any speed come to think of it I need to know its 100% right. Poor maintenance can kill you, and its not as if there are not enough dick heads on the road trying to kill us as it is. Not all shops do a bad job. But some just take the piss. For instance yesterday a bike was put in for an MOT in a local shop by me. The owner knew it was going to fail but needed to see what needed doing before it went up for sale. Anyway long story short it passed it's MOT with both fork seals pissing out oil, not misting. pissing out yet the shop passed it. REALLY . good job the seals are going to have to be done before its sold, but they passed the bike????? and no advisory . that's not good I my eyes. needles to say I will not be taking a bike there.
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline Britigerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800ABS
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
My WHOLE 'bike is generally left to do it's own thing for about 3 x 100+ mile rideouts except chain lube.
It runs great, & I prefer not to treat it like it's a precious gem!
I also wash it at the car wash, & it still looks like "not quite" so new!   :008:  :492:  :008:

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 05:12:15 PM »
:0461:

Life is too short to waste molly coddling a lump of metal with non-essentials. My bike is ungaraged (not through choice), parked in my garden uncovered, gets maybe 3 or 4 washes a year (always pre-MOT  :008: ) and a coat of oil on the chain mainly when I notice the start of light rust patch on the exposed rear sprocket portion (especially at the moment getting constantly rained on). It does get mechanically maintained though.

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2020, 05:51:30 PM »
Bikes are not a  precious gem they are just toys. but nothing wrong with looking after them better than sitting watching TV . I have never lost money on a bike in 10 years. owned about 50 bikes in this time ( my own bikes) and always make a profit when I sell a bike on or at least get my money back "free riding". I Even flip a few where people can not be bothered to look after there bikes or just pick up good bargains . sold 3 in the last 2 months and thanks to people not cleaner there bike I made just over 3500 so my tiger cost me less than 1500 of my own money :046: :046: :046: :046: :046:. I will take that any day. I just love lazy people. You can polish a turd  :492: :492: :492:
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline Britigerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800ABS
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2020, 10:46:42 PM »
 :180:

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 800 Road
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 02:54:31 PM »

Yes it did -  6 hrs as quoted , i did a full caliper strips  & pad clean - day 1   = very messy job even with gloves
day 2  ,  fresh oil , filter , check air filter ,  clean plugs , clean chain & sprockets  , lube all nooks & crannies up with AC90 or grease.   check all electrics .

You don't get much of  these jobs done  at a dealear service !

Been a while since replied , as another 2 up 5 day  trip to the Western  Isles completed - and the bike ran amazingly well - as now 8 years old , just needs a new battery ( on original ) next year for guaranteed starts in remote locations

Did not not think i would cause such an emotive responce - just goes to show the subject matter effects all riders and either diy or pay the man !

*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]

Living the dream - early retired

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 10:59:20 PM »
There is only one Triumph dealer within 300km of me and while I normally do my own work I took it in for the 40k km service and I was not impressed. The rear pads were worn out less than 1000km later, not a thing said and I had to drive a screwdriver through the oil filter to get it off the next time I did an oil change.

They have since went out of business and another shop is doing Triumph now so I may give them another shot, but when you have some basic mechanical skills to do it yourself my expectation of their skills is automatically higher.

Recent Topics