Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ANOTHER ONE FFS  (Read 3533 times)

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 08:34:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
All the brave boys who said they had no problem with plugged tires are the lucky ones. The guys who weren't so fortunate aren't here to say otherwise.

Chico

"WHAT".............so all of us who use the mushroom plugs are just lucky to be alive , I wonder how "Stop 'n Go" get away with it???  :492: :492: :492: :492:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 08:45:02 AM »
All the brave boys who said they had no problem with plugged tires are the lucky ones. The guys who weren't so fortunate aren't here to say otherwise.

Chico

Pure and utter shite. 
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Pure and utter shite. 

Very eloquent Kildare! :192:

Chico

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »

Chico

No bravery mate, I ran a Michelin PR4 with 3 plugs in it until it was completely worn out. When it was time for a new tyre, I inspected it, with the tyre fitter I use and both agreed that the repairs were both sound and safe. Each to his own. Peace.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »
Very eloquent Kildare! :192:

Chico

Check https://www.ustires.org/tire-repair-basics

There are standards in all countries/trading blocks
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 09:32:35 AM »
Check https://www.ustires.org/tire-repair-basics

There are standards in all countries/trading blocks

This article doesn't specify that it references motorbike tires. I suspect it targets automobile tires.

Chico

Offline Sputnik

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 10:19:49 AM »
I believe in the UK British Standard AU159f covers tyre repairs, including motorcycles. As Kildare Man says, other places will have their own regs. There's no suggestion that m/c tyres cannot be repaired and I'm pretty sure most tyre manufacturers will say the same thing.

However, in the name of balance, the general recommendation (or standard) seems to be that external repairs (liquid, plugs or string) are seen as temporary fixes and the only long term fix should be a tyre-off inspection and repair from the inside. Different numbers of repairs can be done on the same tyre depending on speed ratings etc.

Me? I've generally taken mine to be repaired at a bike shop, largely because I'm a cack-handed oaf. I've happily run tyres from nearly new (because that's when you always seem to pick up punctures) for over 10k with a couple of repairs without issue. Would I trust an external plug or string? Probably. If I made a temporary repair on the go would I ever get round to arranging a 'permanent' repair. Highly doubtful. Would I bin a good repairable tyre because it had a small tack in it. No chance.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 12:56:26 PM »
Riding your motorcycle with an incorrectly repaired puncture or temporary repair for a prolonged period may affect your insurance.  :192:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/biking-tips/how-to-deal-with-a-puncture-on-the-road
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Britigerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800ABS
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 03:17:00 PM »
Pure and utter shite.
LOL, l've seen this Chico guy pop up on other forums, l think he's a troll!?!?!  :148:

(just watch, if he reads this post he'll ask which forums, like l keep a feckin' tally!).....  :138:

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Riding your motorcycle with an incorrectly repaired puncture or temporary repair for a prolonged period may affect your insurance.  :192:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/biking-tips/how-to-deal-with-a-puncture-on-the-road
I've seen that quote about potential insurance issues in several forums and no one has any examples of insurance companies examining a bike so closely that they've found a puncture repair and raised it as an issue when a valuation came up...just sayin'

Recent Topics