Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ANOTHER ONE FFS  (Read 3532 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2104
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 04:24:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
I've seen that quote about potential insurance issues in several forums and no one has any examples of insurance companies examining a bike so closely that they've found a puncture repair and raised it as an issue when a valuation came up...just sayin'

That was written by Bennetts insurance company, read the link.

If an accident is caused by a flat tyre, they will inspect the tyre. Believe it or not, they will wriggle out of paying out, if they can.

I've had an insurance examiner in my garage, like a rash all over my bike, lay on the floor underneath it. He wouldn't have missed any excuse.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline philmcglass

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 480
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
  • Location: Embruh
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 04:42:04 PM »
I'm pretty confident that a properly installed vulcanised plug is a safe option.

Stop'n'Go instruction says to travel no more than 100 miles at speed below 50mph so they're covered.
I did run on a SnG plugged tyre a couple of years ago (different bike) from Girvan to Galway and back to Edinburgh with no mishaps. Got a permanent plug installed when I was back home.

It wasn't a screw this time.
No idea what kind of nail it is.



I was going to try and repair using only tools in the bike.
Failed there. Had to resort to this nipper tool:



Although the SnG plugs are lubed I had to use a dab of red rubber grease to get it rammed in.
So need to take some in the toolkit.
Used two CO2 bulbs to get to 11 psi then electric pump.



Inflated to 42 psi and pulled on the rubber tab.


See how it holds pressure over the weekend.

Wonder whether riding the bike makes it a better or worse seal? A bit of centripetal force might make the plug more secure.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 04:51:03 PM by philmcglass »
Find the Line

Offline chico

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1283
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • Location: Suffern, NY, US
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 02:51:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Britigerider [+]
LOL, l've seen this Chico guy pop up on other forums, l think he's a troll!?!?!  :148:

(just watch, if he reads this post he'll ask which forums, like l keep a feckin' tally!).....  :138:

I'm on different forums because I have several bikes. Since you saw me on several forums does that make you a troll?

Chico

Offline K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4551
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 02:54:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
I'm on different forums because I have several bikes. Since you saw me on several forums does that make you a troll?

Chico

+1

Offline chuckxc

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 887
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
  • Location: OZ
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 03:06:27 AM »
To each his own, but for peace of mind and relatively little money I would always have a tyre repaired professionally and only use the mushroom plugs or strings for that first 100 mi emergency.
And it would also save you an argument with the insurance company if anything untoward happened.
You can never be sure if there is any further damage inside the tyre until it's taken off the rim, which is what a professional does.
Everyone has their own risk vs. peace-of-mind ratio.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4551
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 04:02:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
To each his own, but for peace of mind and relatively little money I would always have a tyre repaired professionally and only use the mushroom plugs or strings for that first 100 mi emergency.

As you say each to their own.
We did about 8000km on the Scrambler with a rear tyre plug I put in beside the road near Noojee. No issues what so ever and when the tyre was replaced I looked inside and there was no way any air was getting out of the hole that had existed.

Offline chico

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1283
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • Location: Suffern, NY, US
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2020, 05:02:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
+1

Thank you for your support K1W1. Britigerider has been on this forum for nine days and has the nerve to pass judgement on me? He/she has 37 posts already perhaps he is a troll. :010:

Chico

Offline healdem

  • ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 4576
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
  • Location: Cheshire
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
....Britigerider has been on this forum for nine days and has the nerve to pass judgement on me? He/she has 37 posts already perhaps he is a troll. :010:

Chico
Good point, well made  :007:

Offline Rtwo

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4528
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
  • Location: Co. Durham
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
On tyre threads, I tend to say my bit (if I have a bit to say) and then leave it.

They rarely end well  :164:
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline philmcglass

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 480
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
  • Location: Embruh
Re: ANOTHER ONE FFS
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »
No luck with this plug. Pressure down to 29psi overnight.
Trip to mechanic next week.
Find the Line

 


Recent Topics