Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Filtering round the world  (Read 3144 times)

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Filtering round the world
« on: August 21, 2020, 07:24:25 AM »
Hi,  it's generally legal to filter through traffic in the UK (subject to common sense restrictions, speed etc).  I recall reading that somewhere in Europe it is illegal or frowned upon and car drivers will open their doors to prevent bikes filtering on dual land carriageways. Don't know how true that it?
What are the rules and attitudes to filtering where you are?

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
Re: Filtering round the world
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:06 AM »
It's illegal in Germany, doesn't stop bikers from doing it though as long as you watch out for the police.. Never heard of anyone "opening doors" to stop anybody, could be interesting ....

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 08:49:16 AM »
Not permitted in the US except for California where the authorities look the other way.

Chico

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:23:36 AM »
Legal here in Ireland - Pretty much same as UK rules.

In France cars actually move over to make more room for bikes or get a kick.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Worty28

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT LRH
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:54:49 AM »
Illegal in Canada.  But they did do a filtering trial on some road in Toronto but only at red lights a few years back.  haven't heard any news about that though.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »
I like the way - in Germany - they leave a big gap down the middle if the traffic stops.
They also seem very enthusiastic with their waving as you ride past  :001:
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »
Totally forbidden in Switzerland, some car drivers even do nasty things to prevent you from filtering.
I have no clue what the fine is for that, but you don't want to get caught for sure.

The only thing I permit myself, is sometimes shortly using the bicycle line, when no one is on it and cars are depressively slow, but I could be fined, it's just better than filtering.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
I like the way - in Germany - they leave a big gap down the middle if the traffic stops.
They also seem very enthusiastic with their waving as you ride past  :001:

that's what they call emergency lane, you are required to open that lane for ambulance etc. so drivers on the left lane go to left and on the right lane to the right. It is illegal not to open that lane and it is even more illegal to use this lane to pass through and the penalty for that was raised in the latest version of the Highway Code but our incredible compentent politicians f...ed this up so so the higher penalty is not in force.

In practice I filter all the time and never had any problems.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 04:01:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]

In France cars actually move over to make more room for bikes or get a kick.

To my experience French car drivers are more careful regarding bikes than anywhere else in Europe.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
As was described to me by bike cop. Filtering in the UK isn't expressly legal, or illegal for that matter. It's a matter of judgement. If there is an incident then almost certainly you will be regarded as the offending party, and could be riding without due care or what ever other charge can be dreamed up.
If you are gradually moving between stopped or slow moving traffic doing barely more than the other traffic it's fine. Filtering at say 20..30 above the traffic is illegal. Filtering at speed on say motorways unless stopped slow traffic is illegal. But the police would be hard pressed to catch you and point out the error of your ways.and it would be tricky for the Police to register that with the courts.
Speed cameras may change that, but seeing as nearly all are looking at the front of the vehicle....

But it's clear that next may I will need to be very conscious of Dutch, French, Belgian and especially German road law. If only we knew someone legally qualified to provide the full SP and lead us not into temptation :017:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch