Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Filtering round the world  (Read 3051 times)

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
Re: Filtering round the world
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 04:51:32 AM »
I stand corrected Ragland. I checked the state by state map and California is the only state that allows filtering/lane splitting. It wasn't always the case, I was referencing old info.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2020, 02:48:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by steve@lincs [+]
Some interesting responses. Switzerland doesn't sound very nice! One reason I raised this is that I follow utubes from  "itchy boots" a Dutch woman who was travelling round the world on a Royal Enfield Himalaya.   She was recently in Germany, making her way to Denmark and described the 'emergency lanes'  being formed. She didn't know if it was legal to use, so didn't.   Now we know she was right!

Thing is, Swiss police really enforce traffic law to the letter and our code is extremely tough, but
then it's like everywhere else, if you don't behave like an idiot you'll be fine.

Now 10 years a rider I do ride fast on twisties and I've just got fined once, on a track of highway
in works where you needed to drive at 60Km/h instead of 120, you just need to ride smart.

Offline Britigerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800ABS
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
I stand corrected Ragland. I checked the state by state map and California is the only state that allows filtering/lane splitting. It wasn't always the case, I was referencing old info.

:420:

:492:

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 12:36:37 AM »
In the UK, it's implicitly legal - Highway Code rules 88 and 211. Not that anyone reads the Highway Code once they've passed their test.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 01:04:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Now 10 years a rider I do ride fast on twisties and I've just got fined once, on a track of highway in works where you needed to drive at 60Km/h instead of 120, you just need to ride smart.

You think Switzerland is tough?
Here the speed where the works were would have been 40kph not 60 and if you were doing 120 your bike would have been instantly impounded (30 days and over Aud$1000.00 to get it back) plus your license would have been taken off you on the spot (taxi home your expense) and you would have been without it for somewhere between 3 and 6 months plus you would receive a fine for speeding.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 02:30:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
you would have been without it for somewhere between 3 and 6 months plus you would receive a fine for speeding.

I just checked. The fine would be Aud$826 and you would be without you licence for 12 months so that means;

Vehicle impounded for 30 days -around $1000 to get it back
Taxi fare from wherever you are to home
$826 fine
No drivers licence (any type of vehicle) for 12 months.

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 02:43:31 AM »
Seems rather harsh. :005:

Chico

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 08:01:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
You think Switzerland is tough?
Here the speed where the works were would have been 40kph not 60 ......

Does that extremely low speed limit apply when passing roadworks on all types of road in Australia? Here in the UK, we have traditionally had a speed limit of 50 mph (~80 kph) past roadworks on motorways and it seems extremely slow to most people. The limit was raised to 60 mph (~96 kph) last month, apparently after extensive trials.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 08:04:14 AM by Fazer »

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 08:35:11 AM »
Road rules in Australia vary from state to state. There are effectively 8 different sets of rules in this country. They are similar but you need to be real careful at times.
Here in Vic it is 40kph anywhere where people are working or where emergency services are present with flashing lights (crash scenes for example) regardless of the posted speed. On a freeway or a road where there are barriers between the opposing traffic the lower speed only applies on the side of the road where the works or crash is.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 08:55:52 AM »
I didn't realize this was a competition  :008: who's country is toughest !

This highway event was an exemple that happened to me, if you want to know the reality of
speeding here, well here you go :

You allready get fined up to 600 CHF really fast and your license taken for minimum 1 month
around 20Km/h excess.

But when it becomes bad is after that, in villages (50) from 25Km/h above, outside villages
(80) from 30Km/h and oun higways (120) from 35Km/h, they fine you based on your income
20 days a fine.
You also lose your license for minimum 3 months if it's your first offense, further offenses make
it worse and worse.

Then Every 5Km//h from these above in excess the daily fines go to 30 days, 60 days, 90 days,
120 days and if that's not bad enough, it's still a minimum and up to a court, so they can inflict
more, I knew a guy caught speeding about 26 above in a 30 zone, full fine was 12'000CHF and
license ban for 6 months, if he did another of these in 2 years, 1 year license ban and more fines.

Because after that it's cherry on cake and the part of the law that is questionned by many Swiss,
the part where you can get 1-4 year in prison for speeding, 50 above in 50 zones, 60 above in
80 zones and 80 on highways, also a 2 year license ban, these a considered criminal offenses.

They also have minimum 2 years bans up as much as they see fit in court, if you make 3 of these
mild offenses (day fines) within 2 years.
This goes to a lifetime ban if the offenses are  considered grave (alcohol/drugs), if you sped really
a lot too many times.

They also seize vehicles when they think the speed was high enough, didn't find the rules on that,
but yeah it also happens.

Obviously you should never be going that fast, so in a sense you should never end up in jail, as
I was saying if behave like an idiot, you'll face consequences, the issue is with the crazy fines they
give at some point, there were stories of middle classe people, filling for bankrupcy because of this.

So going through switzerland, be carefull never go 20Km/h above and choose twisties where, it's
impossible that there will be a camera.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:01:27 AM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch