Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wider/longer footpegs?  (Read 2321 times)

Online Northern

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCa
Re: Wider/longer footpegs?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by ashley800 [+]
The ION is 90mm wide by 60mm long
Also interested of those.
just tobe sure: 90mm is just footrest contact path dimension, without any mounting details?

Offline ashley800

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
I measured the cast stainless steel part of the footrest only.

The rubber insert is smaller, let me know if you want me to measure the rubber insert.

Note that the insert is removable...

Online Northern

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCa
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »
Thank you, mate!
I just want to know their size, compared to Puig Enduro pegs. Turned out, they are basically same. Difference would be only in metal (alu vs ss) and price (puig cost more).

Will go for SW-motech.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
That's interesting, have put the peg feelers thingies onto these pegs of the clearance is the same without ?
I'd be interested also to know their width front to back, SW motech site is not giving any dimension !

These are the original SW Motech adjustable pegs. I think they might now be the Ion ones but in those days they were all the SW Motech had.
We are still officially locked down so the last time the bike was ridden was early March. The weather was really nice today so I fired it up (no problems at all and it has not been on a charger) and went for a 40km ride within my 5 km radius area that i have to stay in.
Even though the rubber part of the peg is lower than the OEM pags the ground clearance is more because of the shape of the pegs. Didn't bother fitting the hero knobs they are about as useless as the stickers telling riders to read the owners manual.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 03:34:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
These are the original SW Motech adjustable pegs. I think they might now be the Ion ones but in those days they were all the SW Motech had.
We are still officially locked down so the last time the bike was ridden was early March. The weather was really nice today so I fired it up (no problems at all and it has not been on a charger) and went for a 40km ride within my 5 km radius area that i have to stay in.
Even though the rubber part of the peg is lower than the OEM pags the ground clearance is more because of the shape of the pegs. Didn't bother fitting the hero knobs they are about as useless as the stickers telling riders to read the owners manual.

Thanks for all this great detail, you sir talk my language !

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 04:28:17 AM »
Having pondered the same scenario on pegs I have approached it from a slightly different direction.

Firstly I have removed both frame covers down near the foot pegs which gives well over 1.0 cm extra foot peg to frame room on both sides.
This is the RHS which is a small piece of Aluminium and also coves the rear brake master. (see pic) I have an XC so its not about being sexy but more about practical.
The LHS is not as neat as the gear shift carrier bolt has this 'big head' on it so I have not covered that side yet.....pondering

However having thought about the width of pegs and comfort I have just ordered a set of Pivot Pegz. Not arrived yet but have heard about them many times with their unique arc movement with your foot.

I do a lot of standing up.  (even just for stretching on the road... some comment that we look like Meerkats haha) Then I have to go feeling for the foot controls as mine are currently placed in 'proximity' of my sitting position.
So my strategy is rather than having to move my foot onto the edge of the peg when wearing different boots and/or when standing I am hoping this makes it easy to 'arc' onto the controls with my foot still totally planted on the peg.
At the least I expect applying pressure to the brake should be much more controllable by flexing from the ankle and not having to move my boot/peg contact position.

Isn't it fun waiting for farkles to arrive at the door.... just wish we were out of iso, wtf.

https://pivotpegz.com.au/

Offline ashley800

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 05:34:35 AM »
Those pivot pegz look very interesting!

Let us know when they are fitted.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 07:51:04 AM »
So Pivot Pegz have arrived and installed.

First thing I noticed is that they are about 15mm shorter than std. See picture.

Went for a quick ride today after fitting and first impressions;

Very comfortable with my adventure boots, and interesting that they created a nice angle for my boot with the 2 way flex.  Plus solid grip/feel.

Did not think that the peg was short, even when standing up...... felt that it may have been when I first put my foot on the peg in 'runners.'

Expected that it was going to be awkward getting/twisting my foot across for up/down gear change and brake due to the width and serrations... but it was not as awkward as I thought.

I didn't notice any vibrations as such through the pegs but would have to do a good trip to really assess. My level of tune is pretty good (Commander V) so all things equal I may be able to run straight metal pegs all the time ??

So the extra width 'didn't' suggest that I needed to adjust the position of my gear and brake lever. They felt much the same position and feel was good.

I will look closer at where the centre of my boot sole sits on the peg with the view to maybe trimming a few of the small rubber lugs off the bottom of my boot sole to give some more wiggle room on a the flatter part of sole. (eg when you twist your foot in, the small lugs on the sole could be connecting the peg grip tangs under the arch of my foot. So if I trim a few of these off towards the front of my boot that will open up the clear centre area.) Was never be an issue with narrow pegs and or rubber pads.

Failing picking up room with the cut lugs on my sole, I also bought the plastic layer that sits over the tangs. This is a hard plastic and appears very durable and relatively cheap. They attach with small cable ties and would provide a fairly flat durable surface for easier boot movement, plus they still keep the openness of the peg so mud would not be an issue..

Two small areas of possible adjustment,
1 - I might be able to set the peg out a bit further by undoing the mount bolt and putting some washers behind the assembly and space it out maybe 5 mm, or
2 - given I have removed the 2 plastic frame covers near the pegs my boot may actually sit closer to the frame anyway and it might balance itself out. Just need mor riding , oh ISO...

When I finish playing around with that I might bend the brake and gear levers closer to the frame ... maybe ... will see how it all feels later. I dont want to have to go chasing the levers but if bent in a bit it gives me more purchase on the peg without fear of accidental gear change pressure.

I need to do some standing up riding / assessment however I never liked that stand up gear change position anyway as mine is adjusted to suit sitting down.....  so cant report on whether standing gear changes and braking is going to be any easier, but confident they wont be any harder.

Ps, they are quality products but weigh just over 410 g each so you are not losing any weight. (stainless not alloy)

Recent Topics